IGNORED

What are your favorite shoot em ups?

Neo Geo strong

Shoot em ups are my favorite genre. I was wondering what are some of your favorite shooters? Here are a couple of mine.

lightening force ( thunder force 4) - this is the first shooter I ever played at about 6 years old and it hooked me.

twin hawk - lesser known gem,  no planes to shoot all tanks and German engineered inventions . Interesting bomb mechanic where you can get assist planes to join you.

gate or thunder- fantastic game on the turbografx cd. Fans of r type or thunder force series will love it.

• Like 1

It's not my go-to genre, but I do enjoy a select few on the NES.

Legendary Wings - Relatively short and sweet with weirdness all around.

Jackal - The music man. The music.

Abadox - Childhood favorite that took me till adulthood to legitimately beat. 

Life Force - Not too hard, not too easy. And not too hard to listen to/look at either.

Super Spy Hunter - So good on so many levels. And that Sunsoft beat!

• Like 2

Homebrew Team · Posted

I having been getting into them more recently.  I prefer vertical over horizontal.

My favorites have been:

- Gun-Nac (NES)

- Zanac (NES)

- Soldier Blade (TG-16)

- Guardian Legend (NES) 

I know Guardian Legend might be a little outside what you are looking for as an answer, but it is so good.

• Like 2

that old apogee thing called Raptor on DOS (ported to god knows how many things including iphones nowadays)

Im not really huge on the genre either (im just terrible at these games) but raptor is one of those i really REALLY enjoy and keep revisiting from time to time.

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

I having been getting into them more recently.  I prefer vertical over horizontal.

My favorites have been:

- Gun-Nac (NES)

- Zanac (NES)

- Soldier Blade (TG-16)

- Guardian Legend (NES) 

I know Guardian Legend might be a little outside what you are looking for as an answer, but it is so good.

But not if you just play the TGL mode, then it's pure shmup, thus qualifying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MuNKeY said:

Gradius 1,2,3,5

Salamader (Lifeforce)1,2

Parodius (pretty much all of them)

Recca

Gun Nac

Raiden 3 and 4

Battle Garegga

Batsugun

ESP Rade

Deathsmiles

Mushihimesama

I can go on and on, generally I like vertical bullet hell but I play shmups in all forms 

You see there's an ESP remaster coming to PS4?

• Like 1

I never got into shmups as a child/teenager, because they were way too difficult and I didn't have the patience or the right mindset for them. Only recently did I just randomly try Arrow Flash on the Genesis and actually beat a shmup for the first time in my life. It's relatively easy and not a particularly good game of that genre, but I think it's a good gateway game. Anyway, I'm still not good at this type of game, but I still casually enjoy it every now and then. I personally like:

NES: Starship Hector, Silkworm

Genesis/Mega Drive: Bio-Hazard Battle, MUSHA, Slap Fight MD, Undeadline (probably more of a love-hate relationship though), Phelios

PCEngine: Image Fight I and II

Obviously I haven't played that many shmups yet and I'm still missing many of the classics, but the games of this genre tend to get really pricey and the more recent stuff can't be easily emulated.

• Like 1