IGNORED

What are your favorite shoot em ups?

Neo Geo strong

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Dragonwarrior83 said:

Hmmm, blade buster? Nes you say? It's great that I'm still learning about nes games I've never played!

Japanese homebrew caravan shoot em up.  2 and 5 minute challenge.  Slap this ROM on a PowerPak/Everdrive and get to work. Here's the original dev site: 

http://hlc6502.web.fc2.com/Bbuster.htm

Enjoy!

BB_20120301.zip

Edited by JamesRobot

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I like that one because the controls are smooth. It's fun to dodge stuff.

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

And it is hard to beat the thrill of being a 3-headed green dragon melting everything in your path.

If you like Dragon Spirit on the NES you'll love it on the Turbografx.  The sequel Dragon Saber is solid on the PC Engine as well.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 8:49 AM, Philosoraptor said:

Bullet Hells are one of my favorite genres. I'm a huge fan of pretty much anything made by Cave and Treasure, the Strikers series, Psyvariar, Parodius, and Touhou to name a few.

I'm also a fan of unique SMUPS. The most unique ones I've played, outside of the ones covered above, are Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen: Kingdom Grandprix (SMHUP Racing game), Twinkle Star Sprites (a vs. SHMUP), the Pocky & Rocky series (and other games like it), and Dimension Drive (you teleport your ship between two separate screens).

Edit: Forgot to add Rabi-Ribi, a metroidvania with bullet-hell-esque boss fights, and Rym 9000, which probably has the craziest visuals I've seen in a SHMUP to date. 

Rym 9000 (epilepsy warning, for reals):

I have been avoiding the cave shooters for a while because they looked too intense from watching videos, but last weekens I picked up DoDonpachi with store credit. I had no idea how different the game plays just because of a smaller hit box. It is a completly different experience than my Genesis or SNES shooters. The game has so many features I am still learning, but I want the whole series now. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Californication said:

I have been avoiding the cave shooters for a while because they looked too intense from watching videos, but last weekens I picked up DoDonpachi with store credit. I had no idea how different the game plays just because of a smaller hit box. It is a completly different experience than my Genesis or SNES shooters. The game has so many features I am still learning, but I want the whole series now. 

Dodonpachi is a great one to start with. If you're still sort of getting your feet wet in bullet hells and want to try another Cave shooter, pick up Deathsmiles. That one is really accessible and you can select the difficulty of each stage before you play it. Just don't choose the easiest rank the whole time...

Spoiler

...because it'll put you on the hardest rank if you select too many stages in a row on the easiest rank.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Californication said:

I love Cave shooters mostly for the eye candy and bullet patterns, but another plus is pretty much all of them you can play and even if you are really bad at them you can still complete them and are very good for 1cc practice runs or trying to see how far you can get before wiping out and try it again once you get the patterns down you can up the difficulties. Just remember to focus on your ship and hitbox and worm around the bullet patterns don't do like I did for like ages of trying to watch everything on the screen at once lol 

Edited by MuNKeY
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted
On 11/20/2019 at 4:22 PM, peg said:

Also Gunsmoke and MagMax (am I the only one who actually owned this?) on the NES is in there somewhere too.  

I can't believe I forgot about MagMax! Nothing beats fighting a 3-headed robot dragon by firing lasers from your toes.

-CasualCart

My fave shooters from a personal timeline:

- Space Invaders

- R Type

- Contra 3

- Gunstar Heroes

- Gradius/Parodius

- Raiden, Truxton

- Axelay

- Raystorm

- Einhander (my favorite shooter)

- Ikaruga

- Radiant Silvergun

- Geometry Wars 2

Einhander was an unbelievable game both in graphics and gameplay. The combo system is unbelievably deep and it always feels different each time you play it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 7:50 PM, Deadeye said:

@Tulpa, I like Recca it is a rush.  Like I can't believe I am surviving this long.  However I can never imagine being able to beat the game.  Seems like an impossible feat.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, Tulpa said:

If I can beat it, anyone can beat it. It just takes persistence. 

The game makes you feel like your barely surviving. But I handed the controller to my sister (a gamer but not a shooter fan) and she got further than me. 

I then realized the game is easier than it makes you believe. 

On 11/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, MuNKeY said:

I love Cave shooters mostly for the eye candy and bullet patterns, but another plus is pretty much all of them you can play and even if you are really bad at them you can still complete them

wait what 

On 11/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, Philosoraptor said:

If you're still sort of getting your feet wet in bullet hells and want to try another Cave shooter, pick up Deathsmiles. That one is really accessible and you can select the difficulty of each stage before you play it. Just don't choose the easiest rank the whole time...

Hide contents

...because it'll put you on the hardest rank if you select too many stages in a row on the easiest rank.

Not true, that's what happens if you pick the *highest* difficulty on every stage. Or I think even just 5 out of the first 6?
And yeah you definitely don't want that if you're still a beginner. 🙂

DeathSmiles is definitely an "easy" 1 credit clear for a Cave game. Even Espgaluda, which is often considered one of the easier Cave games is way harder. It's still a great game!

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Not true, that's what happens if you pick the *highest* difficulty on every stage. Or I think even just 5 out of the first 6?
And yeah you definitely don't want that if you're still a beginner. 🙂

DeathSmiles is definitely an "easy" 1 credit clear for a Cave game. Even Espgaluda, which is often considered one of the easier Cave games is way harder. It's still a great game!

Ah, I misremembered because the difficulty doesn't really increase that noticeably from level 1 to level 3 on many of the levels. Thanks for that correction. You're right that selecting level 3 five times in a run automatically triggers death mode. 

Yeah I love the idea of the rank option, but I agree with what you're saying, there is really surprisingly small difference between rank 1 and 3. DeathSmiles is a great game for beginners, but I'd still advise said beginner to pick rank 3 on any stage from the get go, and then figure out which ones are tough enough that they need to tone it down to 2 🙂

The volcano and forest stages are probably the toughest on rank 3. The latter probably moreso if you go for scoring. Meanwhile, the volcano is just such a huge score cash-in that I'd recommend going into it with a full 1000 counter, and unleash fever mode through as much of the stage as you can. XD

Edited by Sumez