IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Palamedes

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's a 50k bonus for perfect clears which is clearing all the dice in a level without doing any combos. For big points you want to get as many perfects as you can.

When the game gets too fast for perfects switch to making combos on the bottom of the screen and press down to clear rows of dice. All the different dice combinations are listed in the manual. The most lucrative is 123456 which clears five rows of dice. Six of a kind clears four rows. Three pair clears three rows. Etc.

Thanks.  I wanted to give this game a try with no instructions (which I did) and I didn't get a chance to search for them until after I made the above post.  So, it looks like you do only clear 2x at a time (when you drop a dice).  I had no clue the down-button had a function, and it all makes sense now.  This one will be fun to experiment with.  I didn't even take a photo of the first game because I knew there was no way that you had to clear dice by 1 at a time by quickly cycling through dice values and eliminating pairs.

It's such a simple but affective mechanic.  I can't wait to try it again.

5 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's a 50k bonus for perfect clears which is clearing all the dice in a level without doing any combos. For big points you want to get as many perfects as you can.

When the game gets too fast for perfects switch to making combos on the bottom of the screen and press down to clear rows of dice. All the different dice combinations are listed in the manual. The most lucrative is 123456 which clears five rows of dice. Six of a kind clears four rows. Three pair clears three rows. Etc.

It's basically Yahtzee. 😂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 5/28/2023 at 1:33 PM, mbd39 said:

That was with 7 perfects. I think i reached stage 16.

I played it safe only going for easy combos when I had to. No pausing.

I started off with 5 perfect stages, but ended up barely breaking 300k. That's probably as good as I'm going to be able to do without getting really lucky.

On 5/29/2023 at 8:47 AM, mbd39 said:

You'll find that level 5 difficulty is much more fun. It takes way too long for the game to get hard on level 1 making it a real slog.

I moved on to playing Renegade, but I beat it on my first try so I might try this again later in the week. Renegade isn't that difficult other than the last boss having a gun that can kill you in one shot which is kind of cheap.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I moved on to playing Renegade, but I beat it on my first try so I might try this again later in the week. Renegade isn't that difficult other than the last boss having a gun that can kill you in one shot which is kind of cheap.

I remember getting to the final boss of Renegade on my first try when we played it last time. I had some trouble with him.

15 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I remember getting to the final boss of Renegade on my first try when we played it last time. I had some trouble with him.

I couldn't find in the archives where it was played before, but the last mission could be a problem since its a maze that sends you back if you go through the wrong door. Batman Returns does something similar if you enter the wrong windows. Hopefully it's not a low score contest. I'd rather just have the correct path posted so we can play for a high score.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I started off with 5 perfect stages, but ended up barely breaking 300k. That's probably as good as I'm going to be able to do without getting really lucky.

I was barely able to get 8 perfects but only got 519k so didn't even bother to update.

I'm still avoiding using any pause abuse.

53 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I couldn't find in the archives where it was played before, but the last mission could be a problem since its a maze that sends you back if you go through the wrong door. Batman Returns does something similar if you enter the wrong windows. Hopefully it's not a low score contest. I'd rather just have the correct path posted so we can play for a high score.

I remember Bea gave us the directions through the maze when we played last time. It shouldn't be a problem.

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I remember Bea gave us the directions through the maze when we played last time. It shouldn't be a problem.

Did the same thing for Hokuto no Ken as well.
So, if I decide that it will be a full run, you will have the maze directions.
But I may end up making highest score at the end of stage 2 or some madness like that.

4 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

But I may end up making highest score at the end of stage 2 or some madness like that.

Full runs might be okay since it's a pretty short game to begin with.

14 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

The game is pretty short. Make it a 1 life contest and see who can keep from getting shot at the end. It's easy too so maybe set the difficulty to 3 and make things interesting.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, G-type said:

You get a 50k point bonus if you clear a stage without using any combos. I was able to do that on level 1, but it goes to fast for me on any higher level.

It's muscle memory, you'll get it. You can also try practicing on level 1 difficulty where it starts much slower.