IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Palamedes

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Greetings, valiant players.
This week your mettle shall be tested through a challenge that requires puzzle solving and shooting skills!

Bring forth PALAMEDES, which shall be mastered through the following rules:

• Choose 1 player
  • Start on Level 5
  • Play until you lose
  • To get your score after you lose, select 1 player mode, Level 5, and immediately pause the game.  Your score will be in the high score spot.
  • Highest score wins

The contest ends Sunday, 06/04/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Does pausing help I thought it made the board invisible when you pause.

Seven years later, Skinny realizes how I brought home the podium and got him eliminated in the semis.

Now we know which of us was truly the evil one all this time. ☠️

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Seven years later, Skinny realizes how I brought home the podium and got him eliminated in the semis.

Son of a… rotfl 😂 my guy. touche 🎩

haha man I feel like I had a shot in the finals that year too. 

42 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You sat on that for seven years and then he just tees it up like that for your reveal. Insanely well played

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

You sat on that for seven years and then he just tees it up like that for your reveal. Insanely well played

Not really. He revealed it in the 2018 Palamedes contest. I can't believe that was five years ago. Time flies much too fast.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview32f2.html?catid=31&threadid=181101

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Not really. He revealed it in the 2018 Palamedes contest. I can't believe that was five years ago. Time flies much too fast.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageview32f2.html?catid=31&threadid=181101

Well, clearly skinny and I cannot remember shit 😆

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'll try to get a score up today, but I don't know if I'll even be able to make the top 5 this week.

You'll find that level 5 difficulty is much more fun. It takes way too long for the game to get hard on level 1 making it a real slog.

Score: 5,710

Well, I'm going to have to read the manual on this one.  I've never played this game.  I tried to figure it out and all I could do was cycle through the numbers on the dice and then clear two at a time.  There has to be more to this game than that, right?  Riiiight????

IMG_0082.jpeg

Edited by RH

10 minutes ago, RH said:

Reserved.

Well, I'm going to have to read the manual on this one.  I've never played this game.  I tried to figure it out and all I could do was cycle through the numbers on the dice and then clear two at a time.  There has to be more to this game than that, right?  Riiiight????

There's a 50k bonus for perfect clears which is clearing all the dice in a level without doing any combos. For big points you want to get as many perfects as you can.

When the game gets too fast for perfects switch to making combos on the bottom of the screen and press down to clear rows of dice. All the different dice combinations are listed in the manual. The most lucrative is 123456 which clears five rows of dice. Six of a kind clears four rows. Three pair clears three rows. Etc.

Edited by mbd39
  • Thanks 1