IGNORED

Awful Things Your Parents Made You Eat!

Rhapsody98

I didn't want to junk of the werewolf game with food posts.  But @JVOSS mentioned that his grandma ate a lot of milk soup, and that he hated it.  What other things did you guys have to eat as kids that you hated, or that your parents loved and you never cared for?  

Mine is soup beans!  Often paired with cornbread (which is fine), soup beans are basically beans cooked within an inch of their life.  Sort of like liquidy refried beans, only they taste like literal dirt.   If they tasted at all good, you might describe them as creamy, you don't even chew them.  They are absolutely disgusting.  But, they are also dirt cheap, so my mom learned to love them as a kid because that's what was available.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/soup/appalachian-soupbeans.htm

Honestly, looking at the picture made me gag.  

Let's commiserate!  

• Like 1

Let's see: Macaroni is good.  Tomato Sauce is Awesome.  Corn is good.  And hot dogs are... well, sometimes good and sometimes more on the order of tacitly acceptable under the right circumstances.  Anywho, how do you completely ruin all 4 of these foods?  

You mix them together to make "Hoover Stew."  ¡BLECH!

Just why anyone would choose to eat this nasty concoction when they do not have to is the kind of thing that just cannot be felt by anyone who didn't have to eat it because there was nothing else.

1 hour ago, Rhapsody98 said:

https://whatscookingamerica.net/soup/appalachian-soupbeans.htm

Honestly, looking at the picture made me gag.  

Not sure if I've ever had "soup beans" or not, but the pic reminds me of the one and only time I bought "canned fava beans" just to see what they were like.  It was like eating mushy little dirt-turds wrapped in wax.  Def. one of the worst things labeled as food.  The weird thing is I've since grown "Fava Beans" myself and they're really good...  

my dad loved liver & onions. but his wife hated it, so he only got it once a year. i had to have it at one point. i think he was just hoping to have an ally. didn't happen. nasty. i have never tried to eat liver again, nor will i ever, and i'm still not a fan of onions. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, twiztor said:

my dad loved liver & onions. but his wife hated it, so he only got it once a year. i had to have it at one point. i think he was just hoping to have an ally. didn't happen. nasty. i have never tried to eat liver again, nor will i ever, and i'm still not a fan of onions. 

Liver should only be eaten if it 1) Comes from a chicken, 2) is fried.  Blech.

11 hours ago, PII said:

Not sure if I've ever had "soup beans" or not, but the pic reminds me of the one and only time I bought "canned fava beans" just to see what they were like.  It was like eating mushy little dirt-turds wrapped in wax.  Def. one of the worst things labeled as food.  The weird thing is I've since grown "Fava Beans" myself and they're really good...  

Pretty much every bean to me is either a strong hit or miss.  I enjoy pintos, field peas and  black eye peas (if cooked properly.)  I didn't enjoy fava beans, and I can't stand limas.  Yuck.

Regarding pintos, my Mom and Dad would grow them because, they said, "there's nothing like a fresh pinto".  They are correct. I'm not sure you can buy fresh pintos, frozen or otherwise, but they are night and day different.  It tastes like across between a pinto and a boiled peanut and that's not a bad thing, at least in my book.

I really am not a vegetable grower but, man, do I want some fresh pintos. I'd try to get some from my parents but they haven't planted them in ages and harvesting and shelling beans is hard work.

7 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Every imaginable cut of beef cooked into submission due to my parents not understanding that medium rare <> uncooked

Man, I get that.  I grew up never having any beef that wasn't cooked well. I enjoyed it (since it was all I had) and then one day in college, a buddy of mine went with a group of professors to hear Mikhail Gorbachev speak at UGA.  Before the meeting, we went to a nice steak restaurant and since the two students were outnumbered by the instructors, the department head offered to pay and told us to get steaks if we wanted them.  Anyway, THAT was my first, real cut of beef.  Change my life.  Literally.

Anyway, regarding @Rhapsody98 discussion, I was picky and had a lot of "sensitivities" like those lima beans I mentioned, which were a staple.  In our house, the rule was that if Mom made it, you had to eat a couple of bites worth.  Period.  End of story.  Well, for me it was summer squash.  Yes.  The simple, humble yellow vegetable.  Now, the truth is, over the years there was a lot of squash (spaghetti, zucchini, eggplant, etc.) and I hated them all but summer squash was the most common and the nastiest.

It was so bad, not only did I often gag, one day I legit went to the restroom and threw up.  I wasn't prone to dramatic expressions but I always complained and after that day, my mother caved and I've yet to eat squash at all.  I've tried, but I can't.   

• Agree 1

Great topic.

Liver and Onions. 

I'm a vegetarian now. Not specifically because of that.... but it didn't help. 

20 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Hamburger helper in doses really isn't that bad, but then again, i'll eat just about anything you put in front of me, so.........

Haha... well it's all about how you make it. If you make it with the shittiest ground beef you can find and don't add any salt or pepper, it's probably nasty. If you put some decent beef in there and spice it up a bit I'm sure it's fine. 

It's like Mac and Cheese. If I make a box of mac and cheese I will add 1-2 cheese slices of cheese, salt, pepper, and chopped garlic. A little Sriracha if I'm feeling saucy.

Pizza Pops.... Covered in garlic butter and parmesan, then baked. 

It's still a lazy ass meal, but slightly tastier. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by AirVillain