IGNORED

Awful Things Your Parents Made You Eat!

Rhapsody98

Also, until I was in my 20's, I thought I hated pork chops. Because when I was a kid, my mom would make them, and they were awful. I found out some dinner I was going to was gonna have pork chops and I was super bummed. Then I ate them (to be respectful) and they were fucking amazing. And that is when I realized that my mom just sucked at making pork chops. She wasn't the worst cook or anything but the pork chops were bad. I've had amazing pork chops since then many times, haha.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
58 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Also, until I was in my 20's, I thought I hated pork chops. Because when I was a kid, my mom would make them, and they were awful. I found out some dinner I was going to was gonna have pork chops and I was super bummed. Then I ate them (to be respectful) and they were fucking amazing. And that is when I realized that my mom just sucked at making pork chops. She wasn't the worst cook or anything but the pork chops were bad. I've had amazing pork chops since then many times, haha.

growing up we always had chicken or hamburger.  The two cheapest of the meats.  I never knew I loved Pork Chops or Steak until recently kuz I was raised on the cheaper cuts/meat.

43 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

growing up we always had chicken or hamburger.  The two cheapest of the meats.  I never knew I loved Pork Chops or Steak until recently kuz I was raised on the cheaper cuts/meat.

Cheap or not, how can you not like chicken?!  And a properly cooked hamburger is delightful too!

Speaking of, I had a medium rare burger once.  No problems afterwards and 100% no regrets.  Best burger I had too.  It was at high-end restaurant too.  They didn't want to serve it to me but they did and it's ruined all other burgers for the rest of my life.

I've never been brave enough to try it again but man do I want too.

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, RH said:

Cheap or not, how can you not like chicken?!  And a properly cooked hamburger is delightful too!

Speaking of, I had a medium rare burger once.  No problems afterwards and 100% no regrets.  Best burger I had too.  It was at high-end restaurant too.  They didn't want to serve it to me but they did and it's ruined all other burgers for the rest of my life.

Chicken is good fried 😆 or with dumplings......

I am not much of a chicken eater if i can help it nowadays, just depends on the situation i guess.  I do love me some good grilled burgers and brats though.  On the med rare burger.....I don't know that I could ever do anything less than med well.  Really depends, but ground beef is so much different than a good ribeye or NY Strip.  I think that as long as the burger isn't dry Im fine with it being "overcooked"

8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Chicken is good fried 😆 or with dumplings......

I am not much of a chicken eater if i can help it nowadays, just depends on the situation i guess.  I do love me some good grilled burgers and brats though.  On the med rare burger.....I don't know that I could ever do anything less than med well.  Really depends, but ground beef is so much different than a good ribeye or NY Strip.  I think that as long as the burger isn't dry Im fine with it being "overcooked"

I can't remember what the cut of beef was but it was a premium piece of meat that it came from.  Possibly filet, but don't quote me on that.  Plus I also knew it was fresh too.  If I was going to take the chances on a medium rare cut of ground beef, this was a good opportunity and I just went YOLO.  My wife wasn't happy. We were on a nice trip for a weekend and she was mad that I'd take the chance on getting ill... for a burger.

I love my Boo but again, No Regrets!  Anyone who's a burger eater and can enjoy it done right should go to a high end restaurant that makes them and sources quality, fresh beef and take the chance.  The dang thing is the definition of "melts in your mouth".

Administrator · Posted
23 minutes ago, RH said:

I like a medium steak but I want my burger medium well at a minimum, preferably well.

9 hours ago, RH said:

Pretty much every bean to me is either a strong hit or miss.  I enjoy pintos, field peas and  black eye peas (if cooked properly.)  I didn't enjoy fava beans, and I can't stand limas.  Yuck.

I wasn't crazy about Lima out of a can when growing up but did learn to tolerate them in some dishes.  Then one day this friend tells me that he and the girlfriend are getting up super early the next day so they can go to the farmer's market and be one of the first people in line to get fresh lima beans.  And I'm like: "why in the heck would you need to do that?"  So he explains to me that fresh lima beans are amazing! and people come from far and wide to get these things at the farmer's market the day they're going to show up and an hour after the market opens they are all gone.  I was extremely skeptical.  So my friend shows up the next day with these pods that have HUGE lima beans in them.  Each bean is an inch and a half long at least, and he makes some dish with them and they taste amazing!  Favas are really similar.  Comparably as good when fresh and just terrible out of a can.

17 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Every imaginable cut of beef cooked into submission due to my parents not understanding that medium rare <> uncooked

You have my deepest sympathies...

21 minutes ago, PII said:

I wasn't crazy about Lima out of a can when growing up but did learn to tolerate them in some dishes.  Then one day this friend tells me that he and the girlfriend are getting up super early the next day so they can go to the farmer's market and be one of the first people in line to get fresh lima beans.  And I'm like: "why in the heck would you need to do that?"  So he explains to me that fresh lima beans are amazing! and people come from far and wide to get these things at the farmer's market the day they're going to show up and an hour after the market opens they are all gone.  I was extremely skeptical.  So my friend shows up the next day with these pods that have HUGE lima beans in them.  Each bean is an inch and a half long at least, and he makes some dish with them and they taste amazing!  Favas are really similar.  Comparably as good when fresh and just terrible out of a can.

You have my deepest sympathies...

Everything's better from the farmers market.  There's a guy at our local farmers market that has the absolute best summer squash I've ever had.    But my favorite vendor is the goat cheese guy.  Just superb.  His Persimmon Cinnamon is so good you can eat it like ice cream.  

• Like 1

This is what properly cooked beef looks like.

Any more and it's technically ruined due to denaturing of the protein through heat application.

On a completely unrelated note, I was also a vegetarian at one time..

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PII said:

Any more and it's technically ruined due to denaturing of the protein through heat application.

Properly Cooked Beef.png

I wouldn't try that unless you just killed the cow 10 minutes ago and immediately turned it to meat like that.  

1 hour ago, PII said:

Properly Cooked Beef.png

Ah, like my grandpa says when asked how he wants his steak cooked: "Once over with a flashlight"

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly, I can't remember anything particularly traumatizing. I hate onions, but was never really forced to eat them. If they're cooked down in curry or something I don't mind so much.

I used to be a picky eater in the States but moving abroad forces me to stop being sneaky. I'm still somewhat picky with sauces or dressings, but in terms of food items, I'll eat almost anything.

Edited by fcgamer

I actually had the opposite problem. My dad was the picky eater, so we had a general rotation of the same foods.

When I was on my own, I tried some of the so-called awful foods like brussel sprouts and what not, and found that most of them are pretty good when done right.

Still don't like broccoli or asparagus. But neither did my dad. (Until he tried broccoli with cheese and suddenly liked that, but I was already doing my own thing at that point.)

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I actually had the opposite problem. My dad was the picky eater, so we had a general rotation of the same foods.

When I was on my own, I tried some of the so-called awful foods like brussel sprouts and what not, and found that most of them are pretty good when done right.

Still don't like broccoli or asparagus. But neither did my dad. (Until he tried broccoli with cheese and suddenly liked that, but I was already doing my own thing at that point.)

Asparagus in an air fryer is amazing.   But your pee is gonna reek something awful that night.

• Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

Here's a hot take/theory I have-- "picky" people aren't really picky.  They just have naturally "refined" pallets.

I'm not trying to be snobby about this but I can pick apart the fine characteristics of food and I was well aware of the "mouth feel" of something well before I heard the phrase.  Food prepared by a master chef is nuanced and even those individuals can often take ingredients that I've otherwise never been able to eat and enjoy and turn them into something delicious.

I've never been to a Michelin 5-star restaurant but I have been to some really, really nice restaurants that were small but owned by well trained chefs.  I've been surprised at the foods I've been able to enjoy that were often made of ingredients I'd never touch otherwise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Lol, right.  Well, shows how much I pay attention.   But I know "Michelin" and "Stars" on a restaurant mean a lot.

They do, but even a one star Michelin restaurant is in the upper 1%.

Though the Michelin guide is heavily biased towards restaurants in France. No surprise, given Michelin is a French company.

And not every starred eatery gets stellar reviews elsewhere.

https://www.everywhereist.com/2021/12/bros-restaurant-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever/

Edited by Tulpa

24 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

They do, but even a one star Michelin restaurant is in the upper 1%.

Though the Michelin guide is heavily biased towards restaurants in France. No surprise, given Michelin is a French company.

And not every starred eatery gets stellar reviews elsewhere.

https://www.everywhereist.com/2021/12/bros-restaurant-lecce-we-eat-at-the-worst-michelin-starred-restaurant-ever/

Very interesting review... and yet on TripAdvisor, they have 4 of 5 stars (or whatever the dots are.)

9 minutes ago, RH said:

Very interesting review... and yet on TripAdvisor, they have 4 of 5 stars (or whatever the dots are.)

Yes, but if you look at the reviews themselves, people keep citing the "experience" over the food repeatedly. It's really a tasting menu spread out over a couple of hours instead of an actual meal.