IGNORED

Replacing cartridge labels

kiljo

What are people's thoughts on replacing cartridge labels? I know from a game value perspective, it typically lowers the value. But what about for not super value games? I have this Banjo Kazooie that looks like someone got a little excited when taking off a price sticker... I think that I am going to get a replacement label, but should I get a repo cart to put the new label on instead of scraping this one off? Is it ever worth it to scrape off a damaged label with repo N64 carts being only like $5? 

IMG_20230215_170939.jpg

• Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, kiljo said:

What are people's thoughts on replacing cartridge labels? I know from a game value perspective, it typically lowers the value. But what about for not super value games? I have this Banjo Kazooie that looks like someone got a little excited when taking off a price sticker... I think that I am going to get a replacement label, but should I get a repo cart to put the new label on instead of scraping this one off? Is it ever worth it to scrape off a damaged label with repo N64 carts being only like $5? 

IMG_20230215_170939.jpg

if I remember, I will show you what someone did to my rat attack for n64 when I get home.  one of the clips broke so they drew a new label and slapped it on a kobe Bryant game.  I have the original sticker and front, but the new label is just cooler

• Agree 1

Repro labels are a bad idea IMO. Besides the rares, you can typically find a label in good shape for the same price with a little patience. I just replaced a Silicon Valley cart on ebay with a net profit of -$2.

Edited by Nugfish
Leatherrebel is a stickler for details...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Well I mean if you got it cheap enough, the damage is done, and it is your property and your choice then you need to decide.  It's a $30 game these days really, so if you can find a nice quality copy of the original for a few bucks might as well.  It's ugly, it only will get uglier, and a collector whether it's original or a copy of the sticker won't want it.  It's a players copy which some use as shade against wear, so just fix it up and play it.  It's a common game, strip the sticker and pop another on as you're not hurting anyone on this but yourself questioning it.

• Disagree 1

Leave it.  I mean you get what you pay for when you buy a beat up copy.  If you were looking for something that looked nice you would have had to have been more patient until one popped up for a good deal or ponied up the $$.  If you look to sell it I’d be totally out as a buyer if you put a repro label on it.  At least if you leave the original beat label on there it’s clear what you are getting and I can decide for myself if it’s an acceptable amount of damage.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1