IGNORED

WATA's going on here?

mlbfan10

On 3/6/2023 at 5:00 AM, CIB_Wholesale_no_split said:

thanks for the info i'll check them out and try a test run. since the 007 grade is the highest available condition i'd seek out a different service to grade the vga 80-100 scale

right now i'm mostly stick to VGA slide outs along with an excel sheet of all the damage. A new grading company would do well with 4-8 subgrades ----- 2 is not enough to get a feel by the numbers only

Not a problemo.

Just note the following about Collector Archive Services:

• If the game is not on their list, you have to do a submission. This means that if you want to include any upgrades, you need to submit said request the moment you get a confirmation that they received the item.
  • If you want the label on top, which is not an option with them, you need to contact them first about it. Chances are they will treat this request as a custom order, but not a complex custom order.
  • Unless you pay for their standard premium, or they offered you a cheaper premium, turnaround times with CAS is, at the longest, around 8 months. Complex customs tend to be longer.
  • Use their email address, and not their "contact us" button for any responses. I found out that I get a response within 24-48 hours by doing this. With no response with their "contact us" form.
  • Their secondary grade system involves decimal points. Meaning that if you need a reason why your game got an 80+ and not an 85, that will say what the grader determined was the game's overall condition.

And above all else, please note that CAS promotes themselves more as a grading company for collectors than anything else. Which is another reason why I stuck with them back then. And not the reason why I am going to try Wata now.

Ok so I’ve looked through a bunch of games that this seller has sold and there are other examples of games that are way over graded. Every single one of them I have found seem to be from 3 orders that are dated April if 2022. 

Does anyone know if anything happened with or at WATA that month aside from recently moving? I’ve heard folks mention they got rid of the whole Colorado team..?

I have an email from them dated March 29th where they state they still had Colorado open “We are keeping our Denver operation open to focus solely on backlogged orders. Our goal is to get all orders that were sent to Colorado prior to February 1, 2022, shipped back to their respective customers no later than April 30, 2022.”

Is there any chance that in their rush to get through the backlog by the end of April, that games were not properly graded? Or in the rush did they mishandle games and just hand out 9.8’s so people didn’t get kissed that they got shit grades after WATA had their games for over a year? Is it possible the graders had an idea that they were going to be let go and just didn’t give a damn?

The more I think about this and going back and reading that email, the more I think it has something to do with Denver closing & the madness of finishing up their backlog. 

EDIT: was this when WATA ran out of DVD cases? Pretty much all of the examples from this seller are dvd sized games.

Edited by retro.magnus
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Something else I just found. To me it looks like this game is numbered 075. It’s super blurry but I swear that’s what it says. Could’ve been a huge order that someone didn’t care about/rushed. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354544298071?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OkwYNr9CQ4i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Gzl19y7eQrK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This one looks like 064

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266116977128?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=OkwYNr9CQ4i&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Gzl19y7eQrK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by retro.magnus

1 hour ago, retro.magnus said:

That damage appears to be post-grading. I had a number of CGC graded comic books that could have been 9.8s, but ended up looking like 9.6s after they were slabbed. The bigger problem is that people tend to put more focus on the pre-slab grade before any post-slab issues. Especially when their intent is to make a potentially quick profit.

It's kind of those "Let's ignore the rarity or obvious because the grade is so high!" scenario. One that'll explain why I only allow my insanity to be borrowed when a set is close to be completed, and that is not a risk factor. 🙃

• Disagree 1

11 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

That damage appears to be post-grading. I had a number of CGC graded comic books that could have been 9.8s, but ended up looking like 9.6s after they were slabbed. The bigger problem is that people tend to put more focus on the pre-slab grade before any post-slab issues. Especially when their intent is to make a potentially quick profit.

It's kind of those "Let's ignore the rarity or obvious because the grade is so high!" scenario. One that'll explain why I only allow my insanity to be borrowed when a set is close to be completed, and that is not a risk factor. 🙃

How does a game get damage either during the slabbing process or while the game is slabbed? It isn’t like they are being jostled inside the case like a marble inside of a spray can. They are secured.  I agree that based on the grade the only logical explanation, minus WATA just being incompetent graders, is that the damage occurred post grading, but I don’t see how it would or could occur.  

4 hours ago, final fight cd said:

How does a game get damage either during the slabbing process or while the game is slabbed? It isn’t like they are being jostled inside the case like a marble inside of a spray can. They are secured.  I agree that based on the grade the only logical explanation, minus WATA just being incompetent graders, is that the damage occurred post grading, but I don’t see how it would or could occur.  

Since we are talking about companies like Wata and CGC, they use pre-made cases. Which itself has the issue become both who was inserting the game into the case and if they are trying to meet a quota. And seeing that a lot of their mistakes were tied to the Colorado location (which is a state I used to live in, thus not being shocked by this), it sounds like at least one of the people in charge of casing these games chose to put quantity over quality. Which tells me that the new owners included this in part of their post-move shake-up.

However... If we were talking about CGA, UKG, or CAS... I would have said it was probably more of a miscalculation on the fabricator's end. Just because I had that happen when I used both CGA and CAS for two different submissions. With the last one being tied to the fact I paid a 7-day turnaround, and it was getting close to a major holiday.

3 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Since we are talking about companies like Wata and CGC, they use pre-made cases. Which itself has the issue become both who was inserting the game into the case and if they are trying to meet a quota. And seeing that a lot of their mistakes were tied to the Colorado location (which is a state I used to live in, thus not being shocked by this), it sounds like at least one of the people in charge of casing these games chose to put quantity over quality. Which tells me that the new owners included this in part of their post-move shake-up.

However... If we were talking about CGA, UKG, or CAS... I would have said it was probably more of a miscalculation on the fabricator's end. Just because I had that happen when I used both CGA and CAS for two different submissions. With the last one being tied to the fact I paid a 7-day turnaround, and it was getting close to a major holiday.

Not much of what you post ever makes sense, but I was curious what you mean when you say you aren't "shocked" that the damaged overgraded games were graded here in Colorado compared to somewhere else because you used to live here? lol

Edited by Nintendopower4ever
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Nintendopower4ever said:

Not much of what you post ever makes sense, but I was curious what you mean when you say you aren't "shocked" that the damaged overgraded games were graded here in Colorado compared to somewhere else because you used to live here? lol

Please do me a major favor and try to sound you know what you are talking about before you decide to respond to anything. I have a low tolerance for freshmen year responses these days. Okay? Thank you! 👍

Oh, and take note that my last submission to CAS resulted in a post-grading situation that did change my then "80+" graded Nucleon Quest Super Convoy to a possible 80.

However, seeing that you need to be educated... The entire process goes like this:

1. Preparation of submission.
  2. Acknowledgement of submission.
  3. Any additional requests (if it is part of the grading company's policy).
  4. Preparation of grading process.
  5. Grading process.
  6. Preparation of casing (as the labels are not finalized before it was graded).
  7. Casing.
  8. Preparation of return shipment.
  9. Shipment.

Number 3 specifically is tied to Collector Archive Services. And probably UK Graders since I was prepared to try them out prior to having my inquiries be ghosted. As well as CGC and CBCS when it comes to pressings, etc.

And yes, my experiences in this portion of the hobby has me know the difference between a grading error and a post-grading error. With me also relying on those who have helped fill in the gaps I never got to experience.

Then again, I make a point of listening to those who know what they are talking about. With one prime example being @Code Monkey's experiences with Wata being why I tried CAS (a year after I talked to Ross Barr).

So thank you for playing and good luck not realizing how little it takes to find out why you should always take photos of your pre-graded games before you have them graded. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

Yeah crazy like I expected lol

I just asked you what you meant about not being "shocked" about that a game being overgraded or damaged post grade here in Colorado has to do with anything because "you lived here"
I've collected sealed games for over 20 years and cards, coins, etc before that and can do a pretty good a  job just eyeballing things as to what grade something should get and of course you should have pregrading photos. lol

It's not rocket science.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nintendopower4ever said:

Yeah crazy like I expected lol

I just asked you what you meant about not being "shocked" about that a game being overgraded or damaged post grade here in Colorado has to do with anything because "you lived here"
I've collected sealed games for over 20 years and cards, coins, etc before that and can do a pretty good a  job just eyeballing things as to what grade something should get and of course you should have pregrading photos. lol

It's not rocket science.

Sensitive much? 🤣🤣🤣

I mean it does not take basic psychology to know why I gave you the eyeroll. It's your opening response about my writing, dood! 🙃

Plus, when I past my 20 year mark as a collector I was living in Colorado Springs. Which was in 2004, with the start of 2005 being when I was diagnosed with Asperger's (which was absorbed into ASD from 2013 onward). Stuff you would have known if you skipped the need to insult me and just ask your questions.

But yeah, I resided there in 2004. I dealt with a video game seller that was willing to reseal a Xbox copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 for me. The game had a tear, he had the means of resealing it, and was fine charging me the full price. And yet, he got pissed that I returned it. As opposed to him charging me a second time after he accepted said return.

There was also the chain of comic book stores. One was a prime example on how you do not display comic books. And despite that, they were willing to ask full price while doing just that. While the other one had a manager that told me how he got to see Army of Darkness on VHS in 1988, while having a fit when I said Evil Dead 2 debuted in 1987.

Plus I do agree that it doesn't take rocket science to take photos of anything that would be submitted. But it also does not take rocket science to realize that the sellers are selling the grade, not the game, in cases like that one. 👍

Something that gives my dismissed opinions about VGA a valid sense of irony. With me saying that because some have said that buyers can see the difference. While also complaining when that is not the case. 😉

29 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

Sensitive much? 🤣🤣🤣

I mean it does not take basic psychology to know why I gave you the eyeroll. It's your opening response about my writing, dood! 🙃

yadda yadda yadda

Careful with those eye rolls buddy.  Do you want a stalker?  Because that’s how you get a stalker.

• Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Careful with those eye rolls buddy.  Do you want a stalker?  Because that’s how you get a stalker.

Hmmm... 🤔 I should do that if I ever meet a cute female yandere that proclaimed me as her "Senpai" in Japan! 😁

Which is happening later this year. But knowing my luck, I might end up doing that to a cosplayer at Tokyo Game Show 2023 and she'll turn out to be a normal stalker. 😩

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This really happened to me on an AI chat generator. 😁

FenrirZero (Me, obviously): videogamesage.com

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): The URL of the website looks... Ominous.

Description:

A website that archives creepy and sinister videogame articles. What sort of articles will you find here? Spooky game reviews? Or stories where the videogames come to... LIFE?!?!

FenrirZero: Tell me more.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): As you browse down the website's articles, you quickly get an unsettling feeling. Many articles talk about cursed games with various levels of creepiness. It's pretty obvious that the articles are meant to be unsettling, but what if one or two of them were... REAL???

FenrirZero: Any posts about graded games?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): One article, in particular, seems to be about a highly sought-after game. Its title reads:

"A Graded Video Game? No - Not a Dream, This Game Really Exists."

This sounds bad. Should I keep reading?

FenrirZero: Yes.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): The article describes an urban legend surrounding a rare and mysterious copy of Super Mario 64. Not a normal version of the game, but an alternate "copy". One, that is claimed to be... haunted? Could this all be real? Could people's lives REALLY be at stake???

FenrirZero: What did Wata Games grade it?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): (I have a feeling I will regret answering?) <-(It really said that!)

It claims the rare copy in question is a highly coveted Wata 10...

FenrirZero: Did it get an A++ as well?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Yes, and it has the highest sale price in recorded history. This game is apparently EXTREMELY highly prized in the game collecting market.

You have read the whole article, but there are some things at the end that catch your attention. There are multiple pictures accompanying the article, some of which appear to be screenshots of messages written in blood?

FenrirZero: I read what it says.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): You have a slight feeling of unease before reading the translated messages. The first one reads...

'YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT PLAY. GOD HAS LEFT THIS WORLD FOR A REASON. HE CANNOT HELP YOU ANYMORE.'

This doesn't sound ominous at all.

FenrirZero: How much did it sell for on Heritage Auction?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): 2 MILLION DOLLARS???!!??!!! This is... Insane! This could be the most expensive game ever sold! But this copy seems EXTREMELY eerie, as it is supposedly haunted and will bring forth various horrible events on the player...

FenrirZero: That sounds like something both @OptOut and @fcgamer would have predicted.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Perhaps. But the article further emphasizes that the game is HAUNTED. Not, weird and cursed, this game is a genuine, 100% certified HAUNTED object! A real, evil ghost could come OUT of the game and hurt you! The article mentions how several people have died trying to play it, and how they were found with a look of sheer terror in their eyes! What happened to them...?!?!

FenrirZero: Perhaps they probably found out that the game having a 10 A++ grade was more common than expected?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Perhaps. But whatever happened to those poor lost souls may never be known...

You read the article to the very end, and you finally scroll back to the top. There's something you haven't noticed before... the title now reads "A HAUNTED Video Game? YES, This Cursed Game is Real!" before vanishing off of the screen.

Is it really... REAL?

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

This really happened to me on an AI chat generator. 😁

FenrirZero (Me, obviously): videogamesage.com

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): The URL of the website looks... Ominous.

Description:

A website that archives creepy and sinister videogame articles. What sort of articles will you find here? Spooky game reviews? Or stories where the videogames come to... LIFE?!?!

FenrirZero: Tell me more.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): As you browse down the website's articles, you quickly get an unsettling feeling. Many articles talk about cursed games with various levels of creepiness. It's pretty obvious that the articles are meant to be unsettling, but what if one or two of them were... REAL???

FenrirZero: Any posts about graded games?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): One article, in particular, seems to be about a highly sought-after game. Its title reads:

"A Graded Video Game? No - Not a Dream, This Game Really Exists."

This sounds bad. Should I keep reading?

FenrirZero: Yes.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): The article describes an urban legend surrounding a rare and mysterious copy of Super Mario 64. Not a normal version of the game, but an alternate "copy". One, that is claimed to be... haunted? Could this all be real? Could people's lives REALLY be at stake???

FenrirZero: What did Wata Games grade it?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): (I have a feeling I will regret answering?) <-(It really said that!)

It claims the rare copy in question is a highly coveted Wata 10...

FenrirZero: Did it get an A++ as well?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Yes, and it has the highest sale price in recorded history. This game is apparently EXTREMELY highly prized in the game collecting market.

You have read the whole article, but there are some things at the end that catch your attention. There are multiple pictures accompanying the article, some of which appear to be screenshots of messages written in blood?

FenrirZero: I read what it says.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): You have a slight feeling of unease before reading the translated messages. The first one reads...

'YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. DO NOT PLAY. GOD HAS LEFT THIS WORLD FOR A REASON. HE CANNOT HELP YOU ANYMORE.'

This doesn't sound ominous at all.

FenrirZero: How much did it sell for on Heritage Auction?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): 2 MILLION DOLLARS???!!??!!! This is... Insane! This could be the most expensive game ever sold! But this copy seems EXTREMELY eerie, as it is supposedly haunted and will bring forth various horrible events on the player...

FenrirZero: That sounds like something both @OptOut and @fcgamer would have predicted.

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Perhaps. But the article further emphasizes that the game is HAUNTED. Not, weird and cursed, this game is a genuine, 100% certified HAUNTED object! A real, evil ghost could come OUT of the game and hurt you! The article mentions how several people have died trying to play it, and how they were found with a look of sheer terror in their eyes! What happened to them...?!?!

FenrirZero: Perhaps they probably found out that the game having a 10 A++ grade was more common than expected?

Creepypasta Narrator (c.AI): Perhaps. But whatever happened to those poor lost souls may never be known...

You read the article to the very end, and you finally scroll back to the top. There's something you haven't noticed before... the title now reads "A HAUNTED Video Game? YES, This Cursed Game is Real!" before vanishing off of the screen.

Is it really... REAL?

I get the creepy part in terms of the shadiness going on behind the scenes, but “haunted”? How in the heck did the bot come up with that conclusion? 😂 

14 hours ago, GPX said:

I get the creepy part in terms of the shadiness going on behind the scenes, but “haunted”? How in the heck did the bot come up with that conclusion? 😂 

My guess is that when I asked if anybody responded to my replies, it chose to ignore that. And instead it gave me a list of replies where people talked about their copies being haunted. With me finding out that @Gloves posted a reply asking for help to get out of his game. 😅