IGNORED

To Grade, Or Not To Grade? That is the question!

Should CIB games that you do NOT plan to sell be graded?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should CIB games that you do NOT plan to sell be graded?

• Yes! all games you plan to keep should be graded.
    • Yes, assuming the game is "valuable" grade it since it's an investment.
    • No, it's better to keep the game ungraded so that you can enjoy everything that came with it.
    • Yes, if it's a game I very much enjoy AND it's in excellent condition.

Obviously graded games are the new graded comic books! I'm sure most of us would not argue about grading an unopened game that we will never open anyway!

BUT - what about CIB games? You know, like cool NES, SNES, etc. games that have colorful manuals, maps, etc... should those be graded?

Or, is it better to keep it safe and stored in a box protector so that when the mood strikes, you can take out your favorite games and enjoy them 🙂

Or, is that all just silly? What do you think?

Edited by avatar!

I rarely send in CIB to grade, but if I get a title I like and it's just in insanely good condition,  I'll do it. I get terrified to open up the contents of super nice CIB anyways, so it's not like I'm missing out there. 

Then I'll just get a shitty copy to play/flip through. 

So I don't think I fall into any of those categories 😬

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I've made my stance on this clear many times - CIB games should not be graded, save for the rare case where they never game sealed in the first place, and even THEN, only rarely. 

Grade sealed all you like, the INTENT is to never open it. Hands off my CIB games, just get an acrylic case for protection. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I rarely send in CIB to grade, but if I get a title I like and it's just in insanely good condition,  I'll do it. I get terrified to open up the contents of super nice CIB anyways, so it's not like I'm missing out there. 

Then I'll just get a shitty copy to play/flip through. 

So I don't think I fall into any of those categories 😬

Added a new option to the poll 🙂

4 hours ago, avatar! said:

Obviously graded games are the new graded comic books! I'm sure most of us would not argue about grading an unopened game that we will never open anyway!

BUT - what about CIB games? You know, like cool NES, SNES, etc. games that have colorful manuals, maps, etc... should those be graded?

Or, is it better to keep it safe and stored in a box protector so that when the mood strikes, you can take out your favorite games and enjoy them 🙂

Or, is that all just silly? What do you think?

If you have a mint CIB and you want it for either display or for preservation, and you don’t want to open it to play, then this essentially is equivalent to a sealed game that you don’t plan to open. 

Going back to the OP question:

“Should CIB games that you do NOT plan to sell be graded?”

It depends. Is it worthy as an art display piece to you? Is it of any historical/personal importance to you? Any other reasons to want to get something graded?

One final point to ponder. Sometimes a rare CIB might be tons more valuable than a common sealed game. So I don’t think we can just simplify it as:

- sealed game => grade!

- CIB game => don’t grade!

- grading is always good!

• Like 1

Nope.  It’s not for me but I do see why some people would.  I’ve got some that are in really beautiful shape and I’m just no good about being paranoid about any of them.  If the kids or I want to play them I’m still going to whip them out.  They’re in box protectors; that’s good enough right?

I’m probably actually even more careful with my copies that are a little more beat up lol …must…not…lose…the flaps.

Administrator · Posted

I try not to berate others for grading if that's what they enjoy and want to do with their own items.

But for me personally, I just don't have any interest in it, whether sealed, CIB, cart, etc.  There are so many relatively inexpensive and less complicated ways to protect and store my items, that I see no reason to grade anything. 

I'm not one for showboating my collection, and I also don't really care about what a third party assesses in terms of the quality or condition of my items.  Basically, my own opinion about the condition of my games, is what matters to me most, not someone else's.

By not grading my CIB items (or other items), not only do I save money, but I have much more flexibility in regard to playing the game, viewing the contents, documenting the contents, preserving data, sharing with others, etc.  Also, if I DO decide to sell the game, I'd rather someone else be able to purchase it for a more affordable price, than to have to pay a premium because it is graded.  Most of the games I've sold have gone to either friends, members of these forums, etc., and I'd rather they get a good deal and be able to enjoy the games.  I've honestly found so much joy in my collecting journey, by being able to share the joys with some of my friends and fellow forum members.  I'm not in this for maximum profit and never was.

At the end of the day, whether someone thinks my copy of Cubivore is an 8.7 or a 9.2, doesn't really matter to me.  I'm not worried about resale value, and if I ever decide to sell it, it'll probably be to a friend or community member and they'll pay a cheaper price which is more satisfying for me.  

• Love 1

For a CIB you really don't need anything else besides a nice box protector. Makes it look nice and shiny on the shelf and hides some small flaws from view. Then when you want to look at your 30+ year old game you can take the item out of the box protector and view the imperfections, reminding yourself of all the good times you have with that game, and that as time passes, we age, and that is ok, and it's ok to have boxed with dinged corners, worn covers, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I'm not opposed to having them graded under the following conditions are met.

1. Is it a personal, 10 Ten game?
  2. Do you own a copy already to play?
  3. Is a sealed copy to expensive to collect?
  4. Is your CIB copy in gem mint shape?

Answer yes to all of the above and, in my opinion, feel free to get it graded for shelf candy.  Now, as far as value is concerned, and flipping them, I think that's a tough call.  If you found a gem mint, barely touched CIB copy of Stadium Events, yes, you should grade it.  Same, I suppose for probably any game where a cartridge alone could go for north of $1,000.

But if you're doing it for your personal collection, there's something that I enjoy about having nice, quality games slabbed.  I know you can get acrylic cases, and those are great, but for the favorite-of-all-favorite titles, it just feels nice to have a copy with a nice grade, so long as it doesn't completely break the bank.

12 minutes ago, GPX said:

Struggling to find the logistics of getting this piece graded..?

Genuine LOL if the intention was to grade this as an investment. 

Lol. I didn’t grade it. I just bought it because it was the subject of much ridicule back in the early days of WATA on Nintendoage.

It’s probably one of the first examples of “WATA’s dirty underwear”

Edited by phart010

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

Lol. I didn’t grade it. I just bought it because it was the subject of much ridicule back in the early days of WATA on Nintendoage.

It’s probably one of the first examples of “WATA’s dirty underwear”

I didn’t know it was actually yours! 😅
I think it’s kinda unique for novelty value.  Would be interesting also to see how much it would fetch it put up on HA..

There should be an option of "Maybe, it's up to you".  I'm not passionately yes or no either way.

However, I'll leave you with one food for thought concept.  The longer I've collected I've realized the thrill is in the hunt, not owning the items. Unless it's a true childhood favorite or a game with deep meaning to you, the other hundreds (thousands?) of games on your shelf don't have nearly as much attachment.

So I love the thrill of hunting, finding, and grading a high grade CIB.  9.4 and up are especially no joke.  In those cases I don't mind having a CIB that's playable, a CIB that's graded and perhaps even a sealed game that's graded.  

They aren't disjoint topics.  You can easily keep a playable CIB and buy a graded CIB if you want to appease both your gamer and collector side.  Nothing says you can only do one.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

There should be an option of "Maybe, it's up to you".  I'm not passionately yes or no either way.

However, I'll leave you with one food for thought concept.  The longer I've collected I've realized the thrill is in the hunt, not owning the items. Unless it's a true childhood favorite or a game with deep meaning to you, the other hundreds (thousands?) of games on your shelf don't have nearly as much attachment.

So I love the thrill of hunting, finding, and grading a high grade CIB.  9.4 and up are especially no joke.  In those cases I don't mind having a CIB that's playable, a CIB that's graded and perhaps even a sealed game that's graded.  

They aren't disjoint topics.  You can easily keep a playable CIB and buy a graded CIB if you want to appease both your gamer and collector side.  Nothing says you can only do one.

6237A013-B793-4E24-823B-A06472E2FF03.jpeg.a9d640130c37a3cf69d8ea2e4d9cdb3a.jpeg

Graphics Team · Posted

Forgive me for the bite in my words here, but I'm gonna put this out there anyway...

I used to think it was dumb to grade CIBs, but I've since realized that it's even dumber to berate someone for enjoying their hobby differently than I do. Nobody puts people down when they try to get a high-score as a gamer, so why belittle someone for trying to get high grades as a collector?

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.d3804df4da3e61a14a139698a5c9269e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 2