IGNORED

Games that don't belong in a series?

Nintegageo

23 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh yes Doom 3.  Biggest mistake of the franchise.  I've always considered Doom 64 Doom 3, still do, and did before Doom 3 existed.  Just was convenient how not great Doom 3 was to validate my feelings. 🙂

Still the only one I haven't played.  Maybe ONE day... but its just not Doom to me.  Im glad they righted the ship with Doom 2016 and Eternal.  LOVED LOVED LOVED Eternal.

The first Binary Monster title by Taiwanese Gameboy company Gowin.

This game is a part of a trilogy, but the second and third entries are both platformers while the first one is a monster raising game (like Tamagotchi or old Digimon titles). It was also probably outsourced to some other developer since it unlike other Gowin titles steals intellectual property, and plays nothing like any of Gowin's other games. The music to be specific is from Megami Tensei Another Bible.

As far as I'm concerned that game is the black sheep of Gowin's entire library, not just that one series, because other than that game Gowin was a pretty legit company, like Sachen. Their other games were so legally unproblematic that a bunch of them got released in the USA (though copies of those are very rare).

Also, the earlier print runs of Binary Monster don't even say Binary Monster on them

• Agree 1

Also, SMB2 (the Lost Levels). What contributions did this game bring to the series that had staying power in future entries? It adds some small stuff here and there, like wind and bonus levels that come after the main game, but it is mostly just extra content for the original SMB. That isn't a terrible thing, but it isn't like entries that came after it, which changed stuff up a lot more

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ugh yes Doom 3.  Biggest mistake of the franchise.  I've always considered Doom 64 Doom 3, still do, and did before Doom 3 existed.  Just was convenient how not great Doom 3 was to validate my feelings. 🙂

This is not the first time I have heard people be negative about Doom 3. Not a Doom fan so I haven't played it, but have seen gameplay and can't recall thinking it looked much difference in scope to the others. Was it just not as hectic as the others? I recall it looking like Doom was in the Halo franchise, but thought that may have been the natural graphic evolution of the Doom franchise.

11 minutes ago, Ankos said:

Also, SMB2 (the Lost Levels). What contributions did this game bring to the series that had staying power in future entries? It adds some small stuff here and there, like wind and bonus levels that come after the main game, but it is mostly just extra content for the original SMB. That isn't a terrible thing, but it isn't like entries that came after it, which changed stuff up a lot more

Everyone else: This game is nothing like the other games in the series, so it doesn't belong. 

Ankos: This game is completely like the previous game in the series so it doesn't belong. 

12 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Everyone else: This game is nothing like the other games in the series, so it doesn't belong. 

Ankos: This game is completely like the previous game in the series so it doesn't belong. 

I know it is a weird take, but in a series where most titles change stuff up a lot, entries that don't change stuff up feel out of place to me. It also does not help that I don't see many callbacks to SMB2J in future entries, but maybe that is just because those would be hard to notice because it is so similar to the first game

Zelda II and super Mario bros 2 are the top ones that come to mind right away. There are lots of games in different series that I think are bad but still fit in the series if that makes sense. Zelda II never felt like a real zelda game and super Mario bros 2 always felt out of place too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Still the only one I haven't played.  Maybe ONE day... but its just not Doom to me.  Im glad they righted the ship with Doom 2016 and Eternal.  LOVED LOVED LOVED Eternal.

Well Doom 3 has some serious issues where it has the look, but screwed it up in execution.

5 hours ago, Nugfish said:

This is not the first time I have heard people be negative about Doom 3. Not a Doom fan so I haven't played it, but have seen gameplay and can't recall thinking it looked much difference in scope to the others. Was it just not as hectic as the others? I recall it looking like Doom was in the Halo franchise, but thought that may have been the natural graphic evolution of the Doom franchise.

I can be pretty on the point on why this one is just awful.  They took a formula that worked, and basically converted it from one of the singularly best FPS titles ever, into a hybrid of Doom and a pop scare survival horror type game stuck in some odd version of like (but not) nightmare mode on the old games.

Basically at a point into the game, it starts to increase more and more as you go along, but the stages are pretty linear so you're sure to have swept the area of targets before going down to the next corridor or complex.  But the game will do pop scares, over and over, and over where it crosses from monotonous isn't it territory into grating.  I recall around 3/4 of the way through the game I could clear an area, and then within 60-90sec, with no sound warning, getting roasted or scratched by an imp and another imp and another imp.  It was just asinine.  It was nothing but grating repetitive chip damage since health packs are everywhere.  The first time or two sure, or if it was a couple times a stage, it would have been ok like the zombie dog resident evil hallway thing, but after the 10th or 100th time.... hell no.  The only good hold over on that into Doom 2016 was story mode, you have an active reason to keep going other than some text tidbit when you kill an episode of missions like the first two (and n64) did.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Feels quite in line with Adventure Island 4 I think. But I guess you could exclude both

AI4 felt far more like the games which came before than it felt like SAI2. Everything about the gameplay of 4, the backtracking, the complete lack of dinosaurs, unenjoyable combat, it was all just completely lacking. 

4 felt like an evaluation, SAI2 felt like a complete departure to me. 

<I'll go ahead and reference my current profile pic>

Years later, my positions have switched on Mass Effect 2.  When it came out, I was very excited to continue the series and the story but was really disappointed with all the changes to gameplay.  It's not that I didn't like the gameplay, but it was so different from ME1 (and KOTOR) that I just didn't get the experience I expected.  I had wished they'd called the game something else and created a new character for it - silly me.

Now it is Mass Effect 1 that sorta feels like an outlier in that series, but I would definitely welcome a little shift back to the gameplay of the first game.  Sadly, I don't know if anything like the Mass Effect series will ever be attempted again.  AAA, cinematic, story-driven, single-player game with choices and consequences carrying over 3 different full-length installments.  It'd be too expensive, and there aren't enough gamers buying that these days (I think).  Plus, the current gap between games would almost guarantee they wouldn't come out in the same console generation.  However, I could see someone eventually bringing back the older Bioware gameplay style on a smaller scale someday- ala Divinity Original Sin but Bioware styled.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Sumez said:

Mobile Light Force 2 feels very different from MLF1, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is... 

"Should we at least change the cover art a little from the first time around?  This release is already pretty confusing..."

"Nah, fuck it.  Ship it!"

• Like 1