IGNORED

Games that don't belong in a series?

Nintegageo

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Those feel more like classic Mega Man games than 7 does, to me anyways. Why don't you feel they belong?

Because they feel less like classic Mega Man games than 7 does

I don't think 7 is a good game, but it still feels like it belongs. 9 and 10 are just designed with a completely different mindset, sharing mostly just the graphics and core movement mechanics.

Administrator · Posted

I love Zelda II, but I can definitely see how it's quite "different" or feels out of place between 1 and 3.  Having said that, I still love the game and always have.

Castlevania: SOTN is amazing and one of my favorite Castlevania games and spawned a series of similar games that now to me, very much feel a part of the Castlevania series, despite slightly differing from the style of the earlier games.

However, on that note, I could say Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.  I actually enjoyed the game personally, but it definitely did not feel like a "Castlevania" game, and if you know about the game's development, it's pretty clear why as it was originally going to be a new / original IP.

• Like 2

Ehhh I'd say Quake II fits, but 3 surely doesn't nor does 4.  Though opposite of that, do agree with sumez this time both on the Mega mistakes 9 and 10 and that terrible Contra title too.  MM9/10 didn't feel right, superficially didn't quite play right either.  The smartness of the designs of the previous, 7 and 8 included too, just was sucked out of the room.  Sure it looked the part faux 8bit and all, but poorer stage design, obviously cheap plant enemy placement for grating hits, just these little things added up to just make them not good, not good to the standard previously set.  Contra though, go watch 5min of video, enough said.

I wish we had a 100% icon discord had, first post seriously deserves it for those 2 fake ass non-mario games using the franchise sequel trickery to peddle Wario Land 1 and Yoshi's Island, neither bad games, but also neither Super Mario games either...trickery to sell games.

But since this is about hot takes seemingly to trigger people I got a franchise, not a game.  Final Fantasy.  Look at 1-6, then look at 7-current, 9 being an outlier.  WTF, that went well off the rails, more and more as the years went on.  I'm not saying never change, but just evolve correctly, not into some dumpster fire.  It can be done, look at Dragon Quest 11S, solid game with solid roots to the franchise.  But if I wanted to take the easy way out FF Legend 1,2,3 and Adventure ... Saga, Saga, Saga Seiken Densetsu -- not FF, again like Nintendo, using a name to sell something that's not.

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

very much feel a part of the Castlevania series, despite slightly differing from the style of the earlier games.

Even then, SOTN feels like a very fitting thematic follow-up to Rondo, sharing a lot of the same qualities even if it was switched from individual stages to a single explored map.

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

@Sumez There are TaleSpin games on the Turbo Graphx, Sega Genesis, and Game Gear which all seem to be the same style. On the other hand, the NES TaleSpin game is a shooter, rather than a platformer with shooting / flying stages too.

I don't think being based on the same franchise is the same thing as being a part of the same video game series, but I guess it's all about perspective.

Initially Final Fantasy Tactics.  Yes, it has Chocobos, but other than that I feel like it's pretty much it's own thing and created a spin-off series, so naming it something like "Chronicles of Ivalice: The Lion Wars" would have made perfect sense, and would have maintained continuity with Vagrant Story and the other Tactics titles.  Of course, then we could say that maybe Vagrant Story shouldn't have been apart of the Ivalice saga, so I don't know.