IGNORED

Best / Worst Video Game Titles

T-Pac

Here's some that I don't think are all that great:

3DO - D - and because I had never heard of that game at the time - Dreamcast D2.  Neither title does anything at all to give you a clue about what the game actually is.  Say what you want about "Resident Evil" being too on the nose or stupid (at least compared to Biohazard), but it does give you a clue about what the game is.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine - a title so shockingly bland that it is usually accompanied by "the video game" in parentheses to let you know what it is.  Thankfully the "Uncaged Edition" came along and gave us some differentiation.  The real cherry on top is that this game is kind of awesome.  It was my favorite super hero adaptation until the Arkham games, and it still might be the greatest movie adaptation ever.

Finally here's one that should be bad but is actually awesome

Leather Goddesses of Phobos - How do you convince your audience that playing text adventures isn't a waste of their time and that they STILL don't need graphics to enjoy themselves in front of a computer?  You conjure up the image of aliens in leather, that's how.  Brilliant!

God of War (2018)
Doom (2016)

It's ridiculous that we have to specify years or platforms when talking about extremely popular games because they reused a title for a sequel. God of War isn't remotely a reboot is it? It's just a sequel to GOW3. So dumb.

Special mention to Punch Out for making the Punch Out chronology:
Punch-Out!! (1984) -> Super Punch-Out!! (1984) -> Punch-Out!! (1987) -> Super Punch-Out!! (1994) -> Punch-Out!! (2009)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

God of War (2018)
Doom (2016)

It's ridiculous that we have to specify years or platforms when talking about extremely popular games because they reused a title for a sequel. God of War isn't remotely a reboot is it? It's just a sequel to GOW3. So dumb.

Punch-Out!! (1984) -> Super Punch-Out!! (1984) -> Punch-Out!! (1987) -> Super Punch-Out!! (1994) -> Punch-Out!! (2009)

Lol.

The Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Dracula, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, RoboCop, Total Recall, Planet of the Apes, Ocean's Eleven, Foot Loose, Godzilla, Halloween, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes, Star Trek, Evil Dead, Blade Runner, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Karate Kid, Dr. Dolittle, The Stepford Wives, ......and all those Disney live action remakes would like a word with you.

32 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

God of War (2018)
Doom (2016)

Well actually PO is pretty consistent you can track it.  They flip-flop between title A and title B.  And furthermore if you look at the years, it goes from (same)1, to 3, then 7, then 15, so around 2039-2040 we should get another Super Punch-Out!!  I can't wait!

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Lol.

The Wizard of Oz, King Kong, Dracula, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, RoboCop, Total Recall, Planet of the Apes, Ocean's Eleven, Foot Loose, Godzilla, Halloween, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Hills Have Eyes, Star Trek, Evil Dead, Blade Runner, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Karate Kid, Dr. Dolittle, The Stepford Wives, ......and all those Disney live action remakes would like a word with you.

Doom and God of War are especially egregious because both the original and reboots are very popular. If I say "The Lion King", no one on earth is going to thing I mean the new one.

25 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Doom and God of War are especially egregious because both the original and reboots are very popular. 

Especially since Doom 2016 is canonically part of the same story of the original games.  (I assume GoW is also, but I don't know for sure since I haven't played those games).  

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

God of War (2018)
Doom (2016)

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Especially since Doom 2016 is canonically part of the same story of the original games.  (I assume GoW is also, but I don't know for sure since I haven't played those games).  

Excellent choices for the thread, but I personally look at God of War (2018) as a reboot because of the gameplay.  They really changed up the way that the game flows and how you fight.  So much so that I was put off the game quite a bit when I started playing and had to go back much later.  The story is a sequel, but the gameplay is not.  Still think it is a weird choice of title for the game.

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

This week I learned that there's a game called "Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion", and I think that's hilarious.

-CasualCart

I forgot about this game!  It actually looked funny to me, but I never got it.  I told my wife about SkateBIRD.  She's starting a bad trend of recommending I buy cheap DLC games and then get the physical if I like it.  I'm not sure what's happened to her but I'm for it.  I'd pick up Turnip boy on DLC now if I hadn't just downloaded SkateBIRD 2 hours ago.

Dumb names:

• Under Night In-Birth EXE: Late[cl-r]
  • Va-11 Hall-a: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
  • Yu-No: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of This World. (Yes, the period is in the title)
  • What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!? 2
  • Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman
  • Conception II
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth
  • Chuck Rock
Edited by Philosoraptor

7 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion

Finally!  The lack of good turnip based gaming is over!!

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

Who can forget Cthulhu Saves Christmas

Me: (he's gotta be joking, right?)

Me: [after looking it up] (Lesson learned - if you can think of it, there's a game for it)