IGNORED

Best / Worst Video Game Titles

T-Pac

40 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I really like the ridiculously long anime-style titles for some games, like Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga: Endless Frontier.

There's some non-anime ones that are doing that now, like Super Ultra Dead Rising 3' Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Alpha

Some others:

Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder (PS2/Xbox/PC)

Earth Dies Screaming (Atari 2600)

If It Moves, Shoot It (Amiga)

Astro Fang: Super Machine (Famicom)

Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES/Genesis)

Don't Shit Your Pants: A Survival Horror Game (browser game)

Edited by Tulpa

Administrator · Posted

Some that I love:

* Grim Fandango --- the title itself just really piqued my interest, and then I checked our the game more in a magazine back in the day and fell in love.  It turns out it is one of my favorite games of all time.

* Shadow of the Colossus --- just a cool, intriguing name - and ultimately a game I ended up loving as well.

* Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman! What Did I Do to Deserve This? [PSP game] --- game is ok, I just found the title interesting

* Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain --- I feel the title fit the game really well and definitely sounded dark and uh... bloody ha

Also, don't make fun of me, but I like the Spongebob video game titles, such as:

SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman
SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, Pants!
SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis

Finally, a title that I have mixed feelings about:
* The Magic of Scheherazade --- it's a neat title, but I had to look it up so many times for spelling hah.

-----

Now, some titles that I don't love:

S.C.A.T. --- obvious
VVVVVV --- I actually LOVE this game.  Don't love the title
Divine Divinity --- it just sounds weird to me, like having a game title that is Epic epicness.  Tragic Tragedy.  Lovely Love.

Now, the absolute worst.  A Japanese PC game title I found about couple years ago:
"_____" ??? (I guess??) -- http://www.platinedispositif.net/games/_____/
The title is basically made up symbols so there really isn't a "title."

• Agree 1

It Came From Desert has that fifties movie vibe going for it - no surprise since it plays like a fifties movie.  (There was a 2017 movie made from the game - not great but pretty good for a movie based on a game.) So a big plus in my book.

Two that always give me a chuckle are Shove It! and Todd's Adventures in Slime World.

I'd say one of the better sounding titles is "Shadow of the Colossus", as it's a title that not only sounds cool, but describes a lot about what the game is going for in just four words.

One of the worst would be "Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games", as you can see a corporate bullet point for every word in the title. I'd also say that "Zombi U" may be one of the worst titles of all time that doesn't convey how interesting the game is. (Its cover doesn't help either)

If we go back far enough though, there's also "Fish Dude" for Game Boy. It's actually a really fun game with great music, but it has an atrocious title.

Edited by PekoponTAS
  • Like 1

Here's a bad one that I rather like regardless:  Star Trek Star Fleet Starship Bridge Simulator.  

Now call up everyone you know and imagine that you're a sales representative for this product and have to use the full title at least a dozen times while describing and trying to sell the product.  Afterword your jaw will likely feel like you've just polished off a 72oz steak in one sitting...

I think my ultimate favorite titles are all going to be the ones that I feel have to be spoken in a certain proper manor.  Holy Diver for example:

Hold out your hands a bit and open your eyes as wide as you can and then:

HO-o-o-O-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-LY    DIE-VER!!

(the diver part has to be real breathy rather than loud)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Just thought of another gem.  Communist Mutants From Space for the 2600.  So 80s!

There was also Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes, which was an utterly shameless ripoff of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I mean, they didn't even bother to change the food.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

There was also Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes, which was an utterly shameless ripoff of Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. I mean, they didn't even bother to change the food.

I always thought that Fox had the rights to the movie, and the game came out roughly half-way between the movie and it's first sequel.  It was only now that I discovered that Fox basically ripped it off when I researched it a bit more.  Damn.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PII said:

Here's a bad one that I rather like regardless:  Star Trek Star Fleet Starship Bridge Simulator.  

You know, I thought about this game too as being a long title.  I didn't mind that it was a "Bridge Sim" game.  I had the one for the Game Gear and I loved it as a kid.  It's on my "to play" list that I definitely think I'll get too once my GG adapter comes in for my Analog Pocket!

2 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, and I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Kabuki Quantum Fighter.  I have no idea what that even means but it sounds amazing.

I love that game, but it's got the weirdest in-game backstory. "Hey, we're going to shrink you down to the quantum level to fight computer viruses. Oh, and since your great-great-great-grandpa or whoever was a Kabuki actor in Japan, that's what you look like now. Have fun!"

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

You know, I thought about this game too as being a long title.  I didn't mind that it was a "Bridge Sim" game.  I had the one for the Game Gear and I loved it as a kid.  It's on my "to play" list that I definitely think I'll get too once my GG adapter comes in for my Analog Pocket!

I have it for 32x, have only dabbled so far.  I know it has an in game pool game that the other port don't have....

5 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, and I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Kabuki Quantum Fighter.  I have no idea what that even means but it sounds amazing.

Oh, it is.  Play it tonight!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RH said:

9 minutes ago, PII said:

I have it for 32x, have only dabbled so far.  I know it has an in game pool game that the other port don't have....

Oh, it is.  Play it tonight!

I do have it on my shelf, so yeah, I might have too.