IGNORED

Best score in a while but there’s a problem… need some advice please

TL;DR — I picked up a TG16 collection but the Express doesn’t work so I can’t test any of it. Any advice?

Over the weekend I went to a local toy convention with my daughter. It was pretty cool but we’re not super big on toys so really we were just browsing.

I came upon a table with a Turbo Express on it. I’d never seen one in person before! The guy had a $750 price tag on it which I thought was insane. I had no intention of picking it up but it was still cool to see. I looked at it for a minute and put it down.

I left the booth and after about an hour we were ready to leave when the guy with the Turbo stopped me and asked if I was interested in it. I told him I couldn’t afford it and besides, I don’t own any TG16 games. That’s when he pointed to a ziplock bag on another table that was filled with Hu Cards and manuals. The bag wasn’t even on the same table as the Turbo Express so I didn’t notice it before.

I’m not a TG16 collector. But after looking through the games I saw a few that I recognized. I decided to make an offer and ended up picking up the whole lot for $500. 

Here’s the problem. I bought the lot as is. The guy who sold it was just a middleman. He works for a company who buys up estates and resells. He never tested the unit and didn’t have any batteries. But he gave me his business card and said I could return everything within 30 days if it didn’t work.

Well guess what. The Express powers on and the screen lights up but no picture. So now I have all these games but no way to test them. Is there a way to repair it? Any recommendations on who I should reach out to? How much should the repair cost?

Thanks everyone!

75DBCCB4-3D4C-4044-A4DA-D9F49758B776.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 8

Nice lot, let me know if you are looking to sell any. I am after a few of those. 

100% the express needs a recap, all original NEC stuff does from low quality capacitors.  

Your other options are buying a re-capped PCengine for cheaper than a turbo duo, or buying the analogue pocket and turbografx adapter but it wont be until next year. 

I got my turbo express recapped about 10 years ago and it cost me 300$.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I got my turbo express recapped about 10 years ago and it cost me 300$.

WOW.  No offense intended to whoever did that work for you, but damn, did they ever bend you over on that one.  The last Turbo Express I recapped for somebody, it took me maybe an hour, and while those caps are annoying, they're not particularly hard to deal with.  I'd say a fair price should realistically be about 1/3 of what you paid a decade ago or less, including the cap kit (which is still available for under $10).  Now, if you had other work done too, that might drive up what a solder tech would/ought to be billing, but just for replacing the relatively small number of caps inside that thing?  No way.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

WOW.  No offense intended to whoever did that work for you, but damn, did they ever bend you over on that one.  The last Turbo Express I recapped for somebody, it took me maybe an hour, and while those caps are annoying, they're not particularly hard to deal with.  I'd say a fair price should realistically be about 1/3 of what you paid a decade ago or less, including the cap kit (which is still available for under $10).  Now, if you had other work done too, that might drive up what a solder tech would/ought to be billing, but just for replacing the relatively small number of caps inside that thing?  No way.

Yeah I got a few other minor things done and it included shipping both ways. But it was worth every penny. You get what you pay for. Highly reputable guy, has done all my system mods for years, flawless clean work. I know what im getting, and happy to pay a premium. 

Keep offering the lower pricepoint though, so everyone can get some work done.

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 1

@attakid101 If you want(and I know you do) that TE repaired I have one epic referral I could give you.  Expert quality work, tools, workstation.  Keeps a heap of parts on hand just for many occasions.  Very friendly, typically very fast, and has an odd habit of doing added mod work free just well...because (maybe you'll get a region switch on that for PCE too if lucky.)  Same person I got hooked up with due a friend I've had online a dozen years who has treated him like gold over the years going above and beyond.  He did the same for me with my Sega Nomad that had a poor quality mod done on it to my surprised when I got it in trade.  Put a solid repair/cleanup of the mess inside to it, a new composite LCD, then added FM/CD audio capabilities along with Master System too (via mega everdrive) and a JP/US region switch, none of those additions were requested, just came along for the ride. 🙂

Something like that i know he works on, because he buys a good bit of bulk junk lots from Japan somewhat regularly, and earlier this year he fixed some of those and a couple of those damned expensive LTs too so it's well into the wheelhouse.  Just PM me to remind me and I'll pop the contact info up for you as I have contact info for facebook messenger.

From personal experience I could even probably do the work if it hasn't gone too far.  You have the classic TE/GT nightmare of GameGear fishy proportions most likely going on there, blown and oozing caps (hopefully not the ooze, eats traces and pads.)  Depending how deep you want to go, and I'd do it personally, if you get the repair from my contact done I'd ask him about a real LCD upgrade and a glass lens to protect it.  The TE screen while not gamegear bad, it's off resolution a bit so some details (smallest) get lost, which sucks, but it's not game breaking.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, attakid101 said:

TL;DR — I picked up a TG16 collection but the Express doesn’t work so I can’t test any of it. Any advice?

Over the weekend I went to a local toy convention with my daughter. It was pretty cool but we’re not super big on toys so really we were just browsing.

I came upon a table with a Turbo Express on it. I’d never seen one in person before! The guy had a $750 price tag on it which I thought was insane. I had no intention of picking it up but it was still cool to see. I looked at it for a minute and put it down.

I left the booth and after about an hour we were ready to leave when the guy with the Turbo stopped me and asked if I was interested in it. I told him I couldn’t afford it and besides, I don’t own any TG16 games. That’s when he pointed to a ziplock bag on another table that was filled with Hu Cards and manuals. The bag wasn’t even on the same table as the Turbo Express so I didn’t notice it before.

I’m not a TG16 collector. But after looking through the games I saw a few that I recognized. I decided to make an offer and ended up picking up the whole lot for $500. 

Here’s the problem. I bought the lot as is. The guy who sold it was just a middleman. He works for a company who buys up estates and resells. He never tested the unit and didn’t have any batteries. But he gave me his business card and said I could return everything within 30 days if it didn’t work.

Well guess what. The Express powers on and the screen lights up but no picture. So now I have all these games but no way to test them. Is there a way to repair it? Any recommendations on who I should reach out to? How much should the repair cost?

Thanks everyone!

75DBCCB4-3D4C-4044-A4DA-D9F49758B776.jpeg

You've got Bonk 3, Air Zonk and Soldier Blade. Some of the best games on the system, you're gonna have a fuck load of fun my good man.

Edited by Avgn Gamer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 10/24/2022 at 9:04 AM, attakid101 said:

He never tested the unit and didn’t have any batteries. But he gave me his business card and said I could return everything within 30 days if it didn’t work.

This should go without saying, but just to be safe, please do not return it.. there are plenty of people here that would buy this stuff from you

• Like 1

He's getting it fixed, the person I mentioned he reached out to and is getting a solid job setup to be done, potentially going as far as extra upgrades like a better screen.  Whatever he chooses that's up to him, but given the price he paid, that system and a number of games were free which is insane.  It's a win all around.

If this is normal and not a doofus buyer on ebay, the last US HuCard of Bonk 3 ALONE sold for $475 and looking at other asks that buyer may have even saved a little.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255662043702

I doubt anyone else this year has done this good on a single pickup.  32 games and a system, and all you do is pay for the most expensive game on the table and the rest is a gimme.  That's insane.  Topic is best score in awhile, I'd argue...of the decade, ever?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Damn I just love Turbo stuff.  So pretty.  Shame that some of them are missing the cases (though some like Bonk 3 never had them) but still an amazing find.  Congrats!!  You will indeed have a ton of fun with that lot of games.  Like others said, just get your TurboExpress serviced but I would also recommend just getting a TurboGrafx console so you don't have to play them on that tiny screen all the time!

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dogbowl said:

Are replacement cases available or is the only option to cannibalize a complete Hucard from japan?

The only I know of is what you said, being a cannibal for original, or you can go 3D printed route.  There are plans online if you have a basic printer to create a game holder mount like the TG one within a standard CD jewel case, and I think there's another that's the entire back piece so you just need the clear plastic cover for the front/manual.  People sell the things on etsy but it's ripoff rate at $20-25 a pop which isn't cool.  When you're taking 30+ games that's more than he paid on the lot.

Bonk 3 + manual is worth $500 alone lol. You did very well.

Quite uncommon for TurboGrafx 16 games not to work, from the aprox 500+ games I've owned over the years i think I've had two hucards not work. One was chewed up by a dog, and the other was water damaged I think.

Like other members have mentioned it's the caps that need fixing on your express.

Side note, there's a lot of tray games in this lot. Games that never came with a jewel case. That's great because tray games are the rarest games in the TG-16 library. Stuff like Soldier Blade, Bonks 3, Magical Chase, Tonma ect.. However, you have stuff like Raiden and Sidearms which did come with jewel cases. Kind of sucks they're all missing, however it's better than having them loose.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got the Turbo Express recapped and it works fine! Picture is bright and clean and sound is loud and clear! I tested all the games and they all work perfectly! And I must say the Turbo Express is in excellent shape considering its age!

I’m very happy with the results but I’m not sure I can keep it in the long run. I just think I’m more of a console gamer so I’ll probably sell the Express and pick up a Duo down the road.

4032015C-2994-49B4-A605-9EC75FB2FAD6.jpeg

4AA8A8A7-6A90-4153-8C83-5DB06C599B51.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1