IGNORED

Super Mario Bros Movie - First Trailer

CodysGameRoom

It looks like it will be on par with the Sonic movies.  Not amazing, but certainly not hot garbage either.  If I didn't have kids, I probably wouldn't bother seeing it, but since I know they will enjoy it, I will probably take them.  Funny that the trailer released on my birthday, and the actual movie will release right before my oldest son's birthday.  It will be fun to take them as a birthday present.    

• Like 2

Pratt's voice is fine. Captain Lou's Brooklyn accent will always be my ideal. I just thank god they didn't use Martinet. Idk how anybody could stand listening to that goofiness for 90 minutes. But he is still listed on the imdb page. I'm guessing he'll have a cameo callout.

Charlie Day is fantastic. I would've thought he'd be overstated for Luigi, but he's doing the scared aspect very nicely. And much better than the corny fauxtalian voice they've given the character lately. 

I like Keegan-Michael Key's take on Toad. It sounds like he was a fan growing up, nice mix of his voice and the rasp the character had in the cartoon.

I've never heard of Anya Taylor-Joy. I don't have a problem with her act. Looking at her roles thus far I think this would be be her breakthrough.

Jack Black's Bowser is good. I'm sure he had fun being the bad guy. 

Yet to hear Fred Armisen but I'm sure he will chew the scenery as usual as Cranky Kong 🙄 

I wouldn't have thought of Seth Rogen for Donkey Kong but it totally makes sense. 

imdb has it listed as "The Super Mario Bros Film" 😂 

• Like 1

Anya Taylor-Joy has been around for a bit. Id say Split was the one that put her on the map. 

Kind of a lose-lose for Mario. Martinet would be tough with significant dialogue and a new person will always be criticized. I'm more tired of the same 5 actors being in every big movie but I guess it's always kinda been like that. 

• Like 2

Looks pretty decent.

Pratt sounded bland as Mario, which is a shame. The rest sounded great though.

Animation looks good but Mario’s face looks really weird to me for some reason. Like someone has messed with his face on the intro screen of Mario 64.

Will be a solid Pirate Bay download I think! 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Looks pretty decent.

Pratt sounded bland as Mario, which is a shame. The rest sounded great though.

Animation looks good but Mario’s face looks really weird to me for some reason. Like someone has messed with his face on the intro screen of Mario 64.

Will be a solid Pirate Bay download I think! 😆

I think his eyes and face are a bit smaller proportionally to his head. I immediately noticed that too.

#FixUglyMario

• Agree 1

I’m thinking Nintendo probably didn’t care who the voice actors are. But their consultants in the film industry told them they need big names for the voice actors even though you won’t see their faces in the movie. It’s part of the marketing of the film. Which is why they showed little interviews with the voice actors to get everyone that’s not so into video games excited.

Charles Martinet is getting old. They probably needed to start looking for a new Mario voice actor anyways and I wouldn’t be surprised if after this movie Pratt becomes the new standard Mario voice for Mario in all future games

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

The voice acting is bad. 

Not really enough for me to have a solid opinion on Mario from that little snippet. What little I did hear sounded like it was just Chris Pratt's standard voice... maybe the slightest twinge of an accent.

The other characters sounded okay... even Bowser. although he started sounding overly Jack Black-ish on the "Who's gonna stop me?" line

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, G-type said:

😂 Are you serious? VVitch was her breakthrough.

Yeah I didn’t want to jump on Link about that statement but Link you really need to do yourself a favour and check out some of the movies and Tv she’s in. Fantastic actor.

This movie is honestly below her talents, but if it helps people get to know her better that’s probably why she said yes to it.

• Like 1

Visually, it looks great, way better than I expected it to. The expressiveness of the characters is amazing, especially when compared to what we've seen in years upon years of cutscenes in games, it's on a whole other level.

Really don't like Chris Pratt's Mario, there is zero character in the voice, it's as basic a performance as they come... I would much prefer the gruff, Brooklyn style Mario voice, with a bit of bite to it, something to contrast against the sugary sweetness of the mushroom kingdom. I'm sure it will be a serviceable performance in the end, but I'm not feeling it at all right now.

10 hours ago, phart010 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if after this movie Pratt becomes the new standard Mario voice for Mario in all future games

Nah, they don't use big names in games or cartoon shows. They might get a soundalike though, a la Lorenzo Music doing a Bill Murray character.

4 hours ago, G-type said:

😂 Are you serious? VVitch was her breakthrough.

🤷‍♀️ I don't actually pay attention. For instance: Idk what VVitch is 🤣 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Visually, it looks great, way better than I expected it to. The expressiveness of the characters is amazing, especially when compared to what we've seen in years upon years of cutscenes in games, it's on a whole other level.

Really don't like Chris Pratt's Mario, there is zero character in the voice, it's as basic a performance as they come... I would much prefer the gruff, Brooklyn style Mario voice, with a bit of bite to it, something to contrast against the sugary sweetness of the mushroom kingdom. I'm sure it will be a serviceable performance in the end, but I'm not feeling it at all right now.

Chris Pratt’s recording probably went something like this:

• Haha 1

Vvitch is a very popular movie, but it's kinda niche compared to something like Queen's Gambit which was a huge show for a while, and honestly a pretty good respectable one. Anya Taylor Joy is in pretty much everything these days, even moreso than Chris Pratt, which is impressive. I think Oscar Isaac is the only one who has her beat. 😅

22 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I think Toad wasn't voiced until Mario Kart 64? Keegan-Michael Key was already 25 years old at that point 😛

I think he's just a professional. 

Ok, dang, he is older than I thought though.

Edited by Link

I don't have any problems with Pratt's voice. Is it the IDEAL Mario voice in my opinion? Nope. But it'll do. Much more concerned if whether the story is good and the movie is a proper nod to the game series overall. So far, I think it looks great.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1