IGNORED

Game Debate #122: ToeJam & Earl

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

8/10. Game is kind of all around killer though. Dynamic split screen, roguelike gameplay, super unique style, gameplay based on exploration and present "risk management" rather than killing things. Equally fun co-op or not.

Sometimes just a little slow, especially if you fall off a good bit and have to backtrack your way up to the top.

• Like 1

I haven't actually debated much in these threads, so I guess I'll go into a little more detail.

• Obviously the music is infectiously catchy, and sticks with you. Sometimes when I'm doing chores or making lunch, ToeJam and Earl tunes spill out of me for longer than they should.
  • The cast of characters is fantastic. Obviously ToeJam and Earl and great, but the enemies are fantastic too. So many of the enemies are ridiculous, but so threatening that you're terrified of them. It makes stressful gameplay moments all the more fun when what you're terrified of is a fat man with a lawnmower, or a group of tourists.
  • The item system is incredibly well thought out, and trying to find all the best items while avoiding the punishing ones is thrilling and fun. Your obvious goal is to identify the present reshuffler as it's the most crippling one. Yet that doesn't mean you're out of the woods, as there are other crushing ones like instant death. All the while you want to find those Icarus Wings and Hi-tops as soon as possible, and start stockpiling them.
  • Speaking of which, stockpiling items is absolutely required for the final stages, so you often want to fully explore a stage even if you find the elevator really quickly. It makes for great decision making where you have to determine if the enemies around you are worth trying to avoid, or if you'd waste too many items trying to find better ones.

It's an all around well designed game, which I think is its biggest strong point. Everything is thought out, and is very balanced. The items are good, but never completely broken. Enemies are overpowered, but items render them useless. Diving in water can help you escape, but it's not safe either. You have an out by jumping off the stage, but you have to climb back up. Every aspect is designed to have a pro and con, and it's a triumph in difficulty balance. As crazy as this game can get, you never feel completely helpless unless you run out of items.

Overall an amazing game. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've tried to play it over the years (very many  years apart) and it just never clicked or made much sense.  I get the idea is exploration of sorts, but I'd just wander, not feel like I did much of value(likely didn't) get bored and quit going onto something actually interesting.  I guess I could have cheated and used a FAQ walkthrough of something but that kind of defeats the point.

The character and art design, funky music, and random level are too cool.

It is rather annoying to avoid enemies and falling off the stage can send you back several levels.  The power ups are unknown till you use them, which leads to a lot of them being used at the wrong time just to see what they do.  Throw in a couple zonks like ones that instantly kill you, and it feels like a big game of gotcha.  

There is a fun game in there somewhere, but it is buried beneath a lot of punishment and frustration.

5 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Some of my favorites.  And probably the best Genesis game out there.  Beat it again earlier this year.  And who doesn't love presents? 🎁🎁

TJ&E got me into funk back in tha day and it's still my favorite music genre.

Anyone got an extra manual they would be willing to part with? 😒

913357AA-6AD1-43F7-BD21-1F959DDE2DBA.jpeg

C104916A-6A02-4F81-8404-1191EDA8AE57.jpeg

• Haha 1

I selected "Never played, never will". But last night I went to bed and wanted to mess around on my Switch for about 5-10 minutes.  Because of this post, I tried this game.

Yeah, other than the graphics and vaguely recalling the commercials and magazine ads of the 90s, I didn't know anything about this game.  If you had asked me what type of game it was, I would have guessed a platform, which it is not.

After 10 minutes (with no manual) I don't really know what I'm doing.  I walked around the first stage, which if I understood correctly was selected randomly(?) and I found the first space ship part.  Maybe I was tired, but I really felt like I didn't know what to do.

I also couldn't figure out the buttons.  I mean, one opened a menu but once I was in there, I didn't know what to do or all of the items I picked up, I didn't know there purpose.

Although I had no clue what I was doing, this felt like a point-and-click without the mouse.  IT seemed like it could have been fun with the manual but without it, it's just a bit confusing.  I might read up on it a bit and see if I can find a manual scan but I doubt I'll do more than give it another 30 minutes.  It is an interesting game, though.  I'll give it that.  It definitely brakes the mold for console games of that era, so that's cool.

i rated it a 6/10.

i love the vibe. the characters are fun and interesting. the music is, of course, awesome.

but the gameplay, is just kinda meh. Like many others, i've popped it in a few times, wandered, explored, collected, and just didn't get hooked. I reserve the right to eventually give it a really solid play and rate it higher, because i suspect that's what would happen if i understood the game more.