IGNORED

CIB or loose cartridges

Witty

Hey All,

As I start collecting more and more CIB, I wonder if I should keep a copy of it loose also. My thought is if I ever want to play it, I could just grab the loose game and not have to disturb the box. Though I rarely play them out side of testing them when I first get them.
I want to see what your thoughts are on this.  

Thanks

If your concern is not opening the box, why not just keep that cartridge outside of the box at all times?

Having an extra copy just to keep one inside a box and one outside of it sounds insane to me 😄 But then again, I also think not opening the box of a video game to play the game is already pretty nuts. I can understand it for convenience reasons though.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I really do think a small percentage of us see games as an "investment" but it's undeniable that over the past several years, games have gone up and up in value.

I too have been guilty of having 2x copies of some games--a CIB and a cartridge.  GoldenEye, Star Fox, Final Fantasy Tactics, and maybe 7-9 others.  I justify the "excessiveness" by knowing that most of these games just seem to go up and up in value.  If I ever really, really need the cash, these  duplicates are the first to go.  I like the shelf display of the untouched CIBs and I've never had to sell one but it's good to see that what I own has gained 3-5x their original value and it makes me at least feel that this isn't wasteful.

I'm not sure how anyone else feels about this.  I mean, we're all collectors so we don't have a huge problem with owning stuff we don't use, but there are also limits.  Duplicates of stuff is something I'd struggle with if it were like new cars and they lose 10% of their value as soon as you take them home.

• Like 1

I spent a very long time with NES carts outside of boxes for convenience and to avoid handling them. It takes up a lot of room and it's not like I'm frequently playing 95% of the games. If I'm going to sit down to play the game I might as well take out the box and manual to enjoy those too, isn't that why I have them? For convenience I'd just use a flash cart or MESEN.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

….and it's not like I'm frequently playing 95% of the games. If I'm going to sit down to play the game I might as well take out the box and manual to enjoy those too, isn't that why I have them? For convenience I'd just use a flash cart or MESEN.

So, for me, 90% of the games I’ll buy cib are the same games I pull off the shelf to play. For example I love twin cobra so I have a loose copy and a cib because I love it so much. Furthermore, to touch on your idea of the manual being part of the experience, most of the games I have loose to accompany a cib copy also have a manual with them for that reason. I do enjoy the manual as part of the experience. However,  most of the games I have cib/loose with manual I love with all my heart so in most cases I have gone over the manual and the box so many times it’s not necessarily something I need to do every time I want to play one of my favorite games. 

My first recommendation is to play the actual carts and store them outside of the boxes.  But if you want to keep the carts inside the boxes and you are worried about opening them, then I would go with an Everdrive and keep the games on the shelf.  The money you are spending on a second cart only copy could be used towards expanding your CIB collection.  

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

In that case you can use an everdrive and never have to take anything off the shelf. But I collect cart only (unless its genesis) so grabbing the cart and throwing it in is part of the fun for me. 

Grabbing the cart (hell I still blow in mine) sliding it in the front loader, pushing it down and slapping that power button…..it’s awesome isn’t it? 
i have an everdrive and it’s mostly for exploring stuff I have never played or want to experience before I pay for a cart.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Two copies seems equally wasteful and insane.  If you're that uptight over box quality and damage, here's a tip, remove the game from the box and don't put it back in there.  Now your investment in an expensive piece of cardboard art is safe and you can actually do what was intended, enjoy the game inside.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Two copies seems equally wasteful and insane.  If you're that uptight over box quality and damage, here's a tip, remove the game from the box and don't put it back in there.

I tried this at first and all I kept thinking was “your a phony and you know it. Look at yourself, pretending to have a cib copy but really the cart is on the loose shelf while an empty box sits on the “nice stuff” section.”

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I tried this at first and all I kept thinking was “your a phony and you know it. Look at yourself, pretending to have a cib copy but really the cart is on the loose shelf while an empty box sits on the “nice stuff” section.”

I put SMB/DH carts in my empty boxes. That way they still have weight and FEEEEEL complete.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I put SMB/DH carts in my empty boxes. That way they still have weight and FEEEEEL complete.

Yeah, but your SMB/DH, and SMB/DH/WCTM, and SSVB/NWC, and WCTM are incomplete without THEIR boxes, and so is your FFF: AW if you're fortunate to have one.

Also, if you have a loose Bad Street Brawler and/or Super Glove Ball you need the case thingy.

Can't forget about Duck Hunt and Gyromite, and some copies of Stack-Up....or boxed Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario Bros. 3's, and certain copies of Dr. Mario.......and does *anyone* own a truly complete Dragon Warrior, Golgo 13, M.C. Kids, or NWC Gold?

Where am I posting?

Oh, to answer the question. I literally keep my carts stored in a box underneath a drainage pipe in my basement.

I also keep my boxes stored underneath a drainage pipe in my basement....but that's a different story.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

I started out collecting cart only and have since moved on to CIB.  The process of converting my NES collection has produced a good number of doubles in my collection.  They are all technically for sale but in reality they continue to sit in my basement and I use them as the playing copy of that game.  

Unless…it’s one of the games I still have from childhood.  Then all bets are off.  Dragon Warrior for example, I’ve got my original copy, a playing copy, my CIB copy, my famicom copy, and I‘d be thrilled to have a sealed copy. 😂 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gloves said:

I collect CIB exclusively, and I take the games out of the box every time I wanna play em. It's all part of the ritual. 

It might be part of your ritual now but as a kid did you do this or did you rip the cart out of the box that then got immediately tossed in the trash? 

18 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

as a kid did you do this or did you rip the cart out of the box that then got immediately tossed in the trash? 

I've never understood why anyone would do that. The games I've had since I was a kid are the ones which are in the best condition. 

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
50 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

It might be part of your ritual now but as a kid did you do this or did you rip the cart out of the box that then got immediately tossed in the trash? 

I kept the boxes when I was a kid, at least when I was able to. A lot of games were bought second hand since we weren't well off. I ALWAYS loved having the boxes and manuals for my games. 

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

I 100% did that. Literally remember throwing my earthbound box in the trash because it was “too big”

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

I've never understood why anyone would do that. The games I've had since I was a kid are the ones which are in the best condition. 

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I kept the boxes when I was a kid, at least when I was able to. A lot of games were bought second hand since we weren't well off. I ALWAYS loved having the boxes and manuals for my games. 

You kept your boxes as a kid, removed and put the game back in the box everytime you played a different game? 

51 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

I 100% did that. Literally remember throwing my earthbound box in the trash because it was “too big”

You and me both. Smb3, tmnt, mm6 box got ripped like wrapping paper. I’m here to PLAY THE GAMES BOI!

what kind of put the lotion on it’s skin weirdo kid keeps the boxes?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1