IGNORED

CIB or loose cartridges

Witty

I prefer collecting CIB and if I had a choice between having the cartridge or having the box -- I'd take the box all day long.

The boxes are more interesting to look at and I love a full shelve(s) of them.  Having the time to actually play these games is a concept I'm not familiar with these days...

Sell the loose carts, any duplicates, and then reinvest the money on new games like I wish I had done?

I started out doing a loose SNES cart collection to play like 20 years ago, then went to piecing together CIBs just so I could look at the boxes and manuals too. Then I ended up having to collect sealed because some games I could never find 100% complete, so I have at least 3 copies of most games with up to maybe 10 copies each once I got more condition sensitive lol

I just kept it all and will probably never have much time to ever get around to playing through much of it and it sucks having tons of duplicates when I could have added a lot more variety to my collection when things were cheap 😂

Edited by Nintendopower4ever
dont want more messages to sell lol

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

Where else would I store the games?

The thing is, nowadays you have to open two boxes to play your games, because all of us OCD collectors keep our CIB's in box protectors, so you have to open the box protector before you can even open the box. 😬

That being said, I buy my games to play, but I also collect CIB, so my solution is to keep the boxes on the wall for eye candy and the cartridges under hinged glass, ready to play at a moments notice.  Hell, even the manuals are kept seperately too (in binders) because I love reading the manuals of older games...

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Nintendopower4ever said:

Sell the loose carts, any duplicates, and then reinvest the money on new games like I wish I had done?

I started out doing a loose SNES cart collection to play like 20 years ago, then went to piecing together CIBs just so I could look at the boxes and manuals too. Then I ended up having to collect sealed because some games I could never find 100% complete, so I have at least 3 copies of most games with up to maybe 10 copies each once I got more condition sensitive lol

I just kept it all and will probably never have much time to ever get around to playing through much of it and it sucks having tons of duplicates when I could have added a lot more variety to my collection when things were cheap 😂

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5013.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

If you’re looking to unload some loose snes in bulk PM me. I can send my list of the last games I need and see if you have any. I’m not really about condition either I’ll take uglies at a discount lol

On 10/7/2022 at 9:23 AM, CasualCart said:

Sometimes I think that game collectors aren't that crazy, then threads like this remind me that we're completely insane after all (myself included).

-CasualCart

Well, I for one am not insane. Opening sealed games and documenting all the variations of inserts is perfectly normal.....right?..........right?

Graphics Team · Posted
1 hour ago, austin532 said:

Well, I for one am not insane. Opening sealed games and documenting all the variations of inserts is perfectly normal.....right?..........right?

That's actually not so bad. But concerning your YouTube guide to NES styrofoam blocks ... you need some help.

And concerning the amount of times I've watched that video ... I need some help, too.

-CasualCart

7 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

That's actually not so bad. But concerning your YouTube guide to NES styrofoam blocks ... you need some help.

And concerning the amount of times I've watched that video ... I need some help, too.

-CasualCart

Concerning the amount of times you've watched it, I thank you.🥰

I just store any of my original boxes in plastic bins in box protectors and put the cartridges into custom game cases with reprinted art and handle those without worry. I would even like to just make my own printed spare manuals for those. It's time consuming but I already made one in black & white on regular paper for Donkey Kong for NES using scans from the internet and I've never owned a real copy of that manual. It's obvious that it is not an original. The tricky part is doing the correct pages double sided so that when you put a staple in the middle, it comes out with the pages in the correct order.

Edited by TheGameCollector

On 10/9/2022 at 6:04 PM, CasualCart said:
On 10/9/2022 at 4:50 PM, austin532 said:

I was about to make a half-joke about heading over to YT to watch the styro guide and hoping it'd be as good as the info I got on sleeves and then I went over there and saw yer guide on sleeves and I'm pretty sure that was the one I got my info from..

Update: watched the stryo guide.  Very detailed.  Very informative.  Excellent.

Edited by PII
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I have 3 copies...

1 x CIB. So the box it's full and I'm not a poser.

1 x Loose on on shelf. Pristine label for viewing only.

1 x Loose for playing. Label is insignificant as I will be cramming it into my NES without a care in the world. Sliding and scratching that bad boy all the way in and out. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, docile tapeworm said:

It might be part of your ritual now but as a kid did you do this or did you rip the cart out of the box that then got immediately tossed in the trash? 

Definitely remember tearing into those bastards like Christmas paper. Box, manual, inserts, all trash.

I now mostly collect CIB

• Love 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, AirVillain said:

Personally, I have 3 copies...

1 x CIB. So the box it's full and I'm not a poser.

1 x Loose on on shelf. Pristine label for viewing only.

1 x Loose for playing. Label is insignificant as I will be cramming it into my NES without a care in the world. Sliding and scratching that bad boy all the way in and out. 

Are the "loose for playing" carts kept on the floor?  If you keep them on any sort of shelving space then shouldn't your list be 2 x Loose on shelf?  And furthermore, why do you need to have a secondary loose cart for label viewing?  I've got like five more questions about your post but I think I'll end it here...

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Are the "loose for playing" carts kept on the floor?  If you keep them on any sort of shelving space then shouldn't your list be 2 x Loose on shelf?  And furthermore, why do you need to have a secondary loose cart for label viewing?  I've got like five more questions about your post but I think I'll end it here...

The playable cartridges are kept on the floor/scattered around near the NES, as god intended.

Secondary loose cart is so the label stays pristine, as I said. I don't want to be scratching the shit out of all my crispy labels!!!

Edited by AirVillain

8 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

The playable cartridges are kept on the floor/scattered around near the NES, as god intended.

Secondary loose cart is so the label stays pristine, as I said. I don't want to be scratching the shit out of all my crispy labels!!!

You must be a very rich man...

11 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You must be a very rich man...

Just a bit of sarcasm.... 😉

To answer the question.... OP said they don't play the games much, so just leave the game in the box, and take it out as necessary, obviously being careful each time you do.

If you are taking an EXPENSIVE game out of the box constantly, I would say just get a cartridge plastic protector and keep the game out. 

I'm not a huge fan of opening the flaps of the NES boxes constantly as they can be pretty flimsy and if you've got a box with them in good condition it would be shitty to ruin them yourself.

8 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Just a bit of sarcasm.... 😉

To answer the question.... OP said they don't play the games much, so just leave the game in the box, and take it out as necessary, obviously being careful each time you do.

If you are taking an EXPENSIVE game out of the box constantly, I would say just get a cartridge plastic protector and keep the game out. 

I'm not a huge fan of opening the flaps of the NES boxes constantly as they can be pretty flimsy and if you've got a box with them in good condition it would be shitty to ruin them yourself.

Tone is hard to make out on the internet, but I can tell you that I took all of my NES carts out of their boxes in 2006 and never looked back.  If you don't play your games, then yeah, keep 'em in the boxes and cross your fingers for the market to go up, but if you bought your games to play them, keeping them in their boxes is utterly re-... uh... not very smart  😉

Needing to have 2 loose games to keep one untouched on the shelf, at least to me, borders on mental illness.  Sorry but not sorry saying that as I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to really have some kind of screw loose there.  The keeper would be inside the CIB game where the dust and the rest won't get to it, that's it, you don't need another just for sticker spine art tinglies.  That's just strange and largely more so very wasteful on space, money, and out of someones hands who would use it not just get turned on but a sticker fold.  That's a huge huge waste of money as the carts add up.

Morbis clearly as more tact than me, he stopped, I'm pointing it out.

All that's needed other than some climate and light controlled room if you're that deep into it is a sealed up box protector you can still open, so not some WATA comedy coffin, just to keep the dust, elements, fingers off that gem of a complete game.  The loose one is all that's need to get your dirty fingers, console, and dust all over to enjoy playing.  It's really that simple, just get a nice enough one the flap art looks nice to you since that's an issue and don't go around eating pizza rolls and staining it around playing.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Needing to have 2 loose games to keep one untouched on the shelf, at least to me, borders on mental illness.  Sorry but not sorry saying that as I'm not trying to be mean, but you have to really have some kind of screw loose there.  The keeper would be inside the CIB game where the dust and the rest won't get to it, that's it, you don't need another just for sticker spine art tinglies.  That's just strange and largely more so very wasteful on space, money, and out of someones hands who would use it not just get turned on but a sticker fold.  That's a huge huge waste of money as the carts add up.

Morbis clearly as more tact than me, he stopped, I'm pointing it out.

All that's needed other than some climate and light controlled room if you're that deep into it is a sealed up box protector you can still open, so not some WATA comedy coffin, just to keep the dust, elements, fingers off that gem of a complete game.  The loose one is all that's need to get your dirty fingers, console, and dust all over to enjoy playing.  It's really that simple, just get a nice enough one the flap art looks nice to you since that's an issue and don't go around eating pizza rolls and staining it around playing.

We keep cardboard boxes from the 80's and think they're "valuable". 

EVERYTHING we do here borders on mental illness. 😉