IGNORED

What do you think of this award-winning art?

It's very surreal, like the memory of a dream. The contextual elements fit together in close proximity, but clash with each other when you zoom out a bit further.

For example, the people look as though they are standing in the foreground staring off at the large circular opening in the room. This gives the perspective that the opening is large, but still in scale with the room. But if you focus on the circular opening itself, disregarding the people in the foreground, the perspective of the objects beyond it and surrounding it make it look unimaginably vast, like there are entire buildings built up within, over and beyond it.

I guess you could say the level of detail is impressive, and the composition is sensical on the surface. But taken as a whole, it doesn't make much sense, it lacks a central internal contextual consistency.

Very uncanny.

• Disagree 1

Events Team · Posted

I find AI generated "art" wildly interesting.  Art is generally a conscious act of human expression typically visual or musical in most common forms. 

The machine (not conscious and non-human) generated (created?) the image (artwork?) from prompts input by the user (artist, producer?).  At this point it feels like it's just a commodity.  

But then it was entered into an art competition.  Now the user has become an artist and made a very interesting statement with the image's entry.  And the fact that it won 1st place, validates the artist, the work, and reinforces the statement.

So is the mere conception of the idea now art?  Or is it not the human but the AI that is the artist.  My gut reaction is that this isn't art.  I actually feel the underlying artistic statement is similar to what Dadaism was getting at.  It's non-art and absurd.  It's virtually meaningless.  But its entry into an art show elevates the status from nothing to something, however meaningless it is.

• Love 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

I joined up on the Midjourney Discord the moment this story came across my feed.  Most of my general results were kind of mediocre.  But I did prompt the bot with Video Game Sage.

1K467FM.png

I really dig the fact that it came up with a sage plant on the first iteration.  You can then choose to upscale any of your choices.  Here's the final product.

jvgjMwQ.png

• Like 1
  • Wow! 3

14 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

AI-powered art is certainly interesting and can be quite beautiful, but it should have it's own category in art competitions.

You are right, and there were multiple categories in the competition including painting, drawing, and photography. This piece specifically won the digital art / manipulated photography category. In this instance, what he did isn't much different from manipulated photography. You start with a pre-formed image and change it. He worked within the parameters of the category.

That being said, creating a piece like this by hand, unassisted by AI like Midjourney, could take dozens of hours to complete. That is a luxury other competitors probably didn't have/use. This is like winning a short story competition using a ghost writer.

Edited by Aguy
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I joined up on the Midjourney Discord the moment this story came across my feed.  Most of my general results were kind of mediocre.  But I did prompt the bot with Video Game Sage.

1K467FM.png

I really dig the fact that it came up with a sage plant on the first iteration.  You can then choose to upscale any of your choices.  Here's the final product.

jvgjMwQ.png

How anyone can look at that and say "it's not art" is beyond me. I think this is clearly art - whether you "like" it or not is another matter, but this is art.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Graphics Team · Posted
2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

This is what DALL-E mini has to say:

943796224_randomcasualcart.png.6c50895c362ea7c64d7666f00b0193bd.png

Prompt: "Online artist known as CasualCart throwing his pencils and a notepad into a garbage can in cartoon style with yellow background"

Why does DALL-E think I'm made of Jelly?

Time to feed the AI more CasualCartoons...

-CasualCart

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

943796224_randomcasualcart.png.6c50895c362ea7c64d7666f00b0193bd.png

Prompt: "Online artist known as CasualCart throwing his pencils and a notepad into a garbage can in cartoon style with yellow background"

Looks more like he was rummaging around in the trash bin and got a frying pan stuck to his ass, after having his hind leg surgically replaced with a pitching wedge.  Also, his head is a fertilized egg and he wears a severed bear's head on his head...   ...with a yellow background.

• Haha 3

Graphics Team · Posted
13 hours ago, PII said:

Looks more like he was rummaging around in the trash bin and got a frying pan stuck to his ass, after having his hind leg surgically replaced with a pitching wedge.  Also, his head is a fertilized egg and he wears a severed bear's head on his head...   ...with a yellow background.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I think the guy who entered this is cheating.  AI tools are written by people, and trained by people. You and I may feed them inputs, but the real "magic" comes from the AI application that people have created, plus the models they've trained on top of those AI engines.

The artist of OPs submission isn't the guy who entered some text into a tool online and entered the outputs.  They artists are the people that built and trained the AI tools, which probably isn't a short list.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wanted to try a couple of random things.  This is a the best I could get for "Atari 2600 heavy sixer"

image.thumb.png.0480745bc86f4e03d8cafbcba0d833f4.png

And trying to have a bit more fun here's "star wars return of the jedi death star above endor in the style of vincent van gogh" which I kind of like, even if it's weird in that AI way.

image.thumb.png.936a0efd08e1b936b619c6d3098810ee.png

• Like 3