IGNORED

Genesis Classic Mini 2

phart010

Huh, this one actually has a pretty nice set of games. Not just the usual first-party stuff that Sega has re-released ten-billion times already.

Don't need this since I already have a Mega Everdrive with every game I need on it. Still, I keep thinking that one of these mini-consoles would be a really nice starter console for my young kid.

• Like 2

Probably not. I was willing to go for the first one as tribute to all Sega has done, to get more hands on experience with what the Genesis controller was like, some convenience, and that fuzzy consumerist feeling.

A second one just feels like milking it. Especially when there’s no particularly good reason beyond “we can sell more if we string them out” that they couldn’t just put every single Genesis game from a Sega-owned IP on one of these to begin with.

• Like 1

I mean, not for that price but I'm sure I'll get it on sale like I did w the model 1. I feel like I already bought all the ones worth having. The model 2 is iconic but it's kind of a weird play from Sega since the mini movement died about 18 months ago. 

Although, it's not the first time theyve miss read the market. Probably won't be the last. 

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

No. Weird to see some bangers along with literal garbage. 

Decent buy if you don’t have most of the games like I do. 

Really disappointed by the lack of Lunar 1,2 and popful mail especially since they are included on the Japanese version 

53 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I mean, not for that price but I'm sure I'll get it on sale like I did w the model 1. I feel like I already bought all the ones worth having. The model 2 is iconic but it's kind of a weird play from Sega since the mini movement died about 18 months ago. 

Although, it's not the first time theyve miss read the market. Probably won't be the last. 

These are a limited production only going to be made based on Amazon preorders, so likely only collectors buying these. If you think you might eventually want one, probably should just go for it as they will probably end up more expensive as time goes on

• Thanks 1

I didn't buy the first one, my mom shocked me with it for Christmas, and I used it off and on every since until I got the Mega about a year ago now if that.  That said I refuse to get reamed by the grifting at the level SegaCD hits, so I'm on board to get this, or hopefully get gifted it again.

I was saddened a bit, and aggravated, they removed Lunar, Popful Mail, and I guess Snatcher(not a blade runner fan really) from the list... what the hell?  Lunar isn't life ending, you can get the SCD version for $6 on IOS and Android these days (same company also has Vay on iOS for 0.99 too.)  What really surprised me were the other CD games, shitty shark and night crap are utterly awful, and wasting more space on the two ecco disasters pretty well sucks.  Thankfully it does have some amazing ones on the optical side with Silpheed for one, and the cartridge releases there are some really sweet choices this time around, splatter house and rolling thunder 2 to which I have #3 on my real carts so that works out.  Centy is as pointed out a $700+ cart because people suck, so that's a HUGE deal to actually give money to the right people, not punks, to experience the game legally.  Ristar aggravatingly is expensive too now (why?) so that's a nice save there as well.

I think the price sucks a bit though, and it's like a reverse NES/SNES CE situation in a perverse way.  Gen Mini 2 goes up $20 but removes a controller, while SNES went up $20 and ADDED a controller.  Don't get the genius reasoning on that one, but whatever, odds are I'd just only use it myself anyway and if not I have the mini 1 pads and no one I know will want to play super SF2 on there anyway.

Oh also, since the first post didn't link what Sega threw online, enjoy:

I pre-ordered it before the full list of games was revealed.  There was enough that sounded worth the $2-3/game price point that I'm happy with my decision. Seeing Crusader of Centy is icing on the cake.  I don't play tons of RPGs, so the Lunar exclusions aren't the worst thing in the world to me, but the Sega CD list is surprisingly underwhelming.  I also think it'll be good to help me pare down my physical collection a bit more if I have some of these titles through the Mini 2.

On 8/19/2022 at 9:49 PM, phart010 said:

These are a limited production only going to be made based on Amazon preorders, so likely only collectors buying these

Is that case, I will not be pre ordering one of these. I suspect since they're using a fomo sales model that these will actually be over bought in the hopes of becoming valuable. That sales model brings at least an equal number of scalpers as it does collectors and with the lack of enthusiasm over this, it seems like all the collectors needs are going to be met from the gate. 

The model 2 is ugly, it doesn't come with a controller and the game list isn't that convincing. I think they got Crusader of Centy on there to justify the cost.

4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Probably not. Outside of OutRun and Final Fight, I didn't see much else that looked interesting.

The disgusting and utterly confusing thing of this, Outrun somehow is a $50 game now, and I mean, the game, just the game.  That game as mass produced as it is covers 1/2 the price.  Final Fight CD as a loose disc, there's the other $50.  You just paid for the thing, sad isn't it? 🙂

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The disgusting and utterly confusing thing of this, Outrun somehow is a $50 game now, and I mean, the game, just the game.  That game as mass produced as it is covers 1/2 the price.  Final Fight CD as a loose disc, there's the other $50.  You just paid for the thing, sad isn't it? 🙂

The sadder part is I actually thought about that trying to convince myself.

with both lunars and popful mail being on the JPN release but being absent from the US release I’m guessing the publisher and not the developer has the rights to the games. Any insight into why working designs didn’t give the okay or why Sega didn’t pursue the lunars and popful mail for the US release? But I guess there is the possibility working designs does not even own the rights anymore. 

@Bearcat-Doug I kind of had a feeling, I've done it.  I justified the SNES CE because I always have picked up Nintendo consoles and handhelds, but largely not that, but to legally own what we got teased on in NP long ago and screwed out of -- STAR FOX 2, to legally own that, I was all in.

That's how I feel about the Mini2 here from Sega.  I'll be blunt, nasty... FUCK SCALPERS I will never pay $700-1000 for Centy but I'd love to legally own it, not use some vapory rom I have no investment into because it'll be a one and done for paid stuff.  I would buy the Mini2 for that, the CD games that don't suck on that list (non-FMV non-ECCO), and the fantastic list of carts and unreleased works.  That justifies it for me, and it should for anyone who wants a legal piece of Sega hardware with a solid choice of set titles.

@final fight cd Well what I got off a friend as he was kind of hurt/bugged, was that Working Designs wouldn't let it happen outside of Japan.  Why, no clue, maybe with Lunar, some contract deal?  They did license it to a fly by night nobody on IOS called SoMoGa, Inc based out of Stuart Florida.  They have just TWO releases, cheap too, one is Vay ($1) and Lunar Silver Star Story Touch ($7.)  That's it.  Maybe they got something over on them with the contracts.  Both are US published by WD so it's likely possible.  I could give this one even a pass, phone is more easily readily usable, but Popful Mail, Snatcher the fans...why?  Snatcher's other copy made it to the PCE unit so it was on the table somewhat.

https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/somoga-inc/id284940610

6 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@Bearcat-Doug I kind of had a feeling, I've done it.  I justified the SNES CE because I always have picked up Nintendo consoles and handhelds, but largely not that, but to legally own what we got teased on in NP long ago and screwed out of -- STAR FOX 2, to legally own that, I was all in.

That's how I feel about the Mini2 here from Sega.  I'll be blunt, nasty... FUCK SCALPERS I will never pay $700-1000 for Centy but I'd love to legally own it, not use some vapory rom I have no investment into because it'll be a one and done for paid stuff.  I would buy the Mini2 for that, the CD games that don't suck on that list (non-FMV non-ECCO), and the fantastic list of carts and unreleased works.  That justifies it for me, and it should for anyone who wants a legal piece of Sega hardware with a solid choice of set titles.

@final fight cd Well what I got off a friend as he was kind of hurt/bugged, was that Working Designs wouldn't let it happen outside of Japan.  Why, no clue, maybe with Lunar, some contract deal?  They did license it to a fly by night nobody on IOS called SoMoGa, Inc based out of Stuart Florida.  They have just TWO releases, cheap too, one is Vay ($1) and Lunar Silver Star Story Touch ($7.)  That's it.  Maybe they got something over on them with the contracts.  Both are US published by WD so it's likely possible.  I could give this one even a pass, phone is more easily readily usable, but Popful Mail, Snatcher the fans...why?  Snatcher's other copy made it to the PCE unit so it was on the table somewhat.

https://apps.apple.com/us/developer/somoga-inc/id284940610

I basically picked up the original Genesis mini to be able to play an official release of Mega Man: The Wily Wars. After I beat it including the bonus castle, I pretty much lost interest even though it did have a decent collection of games.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 8/19/2022 at 10:46 PM, Tanooki said:

What really surprised me were the other CD games, shitty shark and night crap are utterly awful, and wasting more space on the two ecco disasters pretty well sucks.

Hate 'em or not, but I feel like Night Trap and Sewer Shark are pretty iconic Sega CD games. I'm pretty sure they're inclusion didn't keep anything else from being added anyway.

And I don't know what you're deal with Ecco is, that dolphin is dope. 🐬

16 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

Hate 'em or not, but I feel like Night Trap and Sewer Shark are pretty iconic Sega CD games. I'm pretty sure they're inclusion didn't keep anything else from being added anyway.

And I don't know what you're deal with Ecco is, that dolphin is dope. 🐬

About a year ago I put in the time to beat night trap without hints or guides.  Well, to be honest, I did take one hint.  But I still put hours into it over a span of several days.  Yeah, it isn’t for everybody, it isn’t a game you’ll beat again, and you have to be in the right mood to want to sink time into it, but the game sure is memorable.

I beat sewer shark too.  That game isn’t bad either.  While sewer shark is actually a “game” there is something about night trap that makes it stick out in my mind much more. 

2 hours ago, final fight cd said:

with both lunars and popful mail being on the JPN release but being absent from the US release I’m guessing the publisher and not the developer has the rights to the games. Any insight into why working designs didn’t give the okay or why Sega didn’t pursue the lunars and popful mail for the US release? But I guess there is the possibility working designs does not even own the rights anymore. 

I believe the conventional way of doing things is developers own the rights over the game code for life, the publisher has temporary rights to use the code for a print run (or several as defined in an agreement).

The thing with working designs is that in addition to publishing the game, they do a bit of development work of their own in the form of translation patches. So the translation belongs to working designs.

I don’t know if it’s for other non-related reasons or if it’s actually personal. But the guy in charge of working designs had some personal beef with the ceo of Sega of America during the Sega Saturn  generation.  Working designs was planning to localize and publish all kinds of rpgs to the US Saturn but their plans were crushed by this ceo. So the working designs dude got so pissed, he vowed not to publish any more games on Sega platforms.

Now, that ceo is long gone, and this new console is being fully made by Sega of Japan… it seems Sega of America is not at all involved… so it would seem that any hard feelings would be mislplaced, especially given the number of years since then. So my guess is that maybe working designs probably simply just wasn’t very enticed by the compensation that Sega offered in return for using the working designs translation.

Edited by phart010