IGNORED

Genesis Classic Mini 2

phart010

Administrator · Posted

I actually do plan to open mine up and use it.  I don't play the other mini consoles *much*, but, I've opened all of them and played with them a bit.  I also got rid of a lot of games for systems that I don't consider to be my 'main' collecting interest, so several of those games I don't have anymore.  

I don't expect everyone to love the idea of the minis - and personally, I would have loved (and thought it would be pretty cool) it if they would release different "carts" for just one system, as opposed to multiple 'systems,' but regardless, I've pre-ordered it.

Also, these are pretty handy when you just want to take a portable little system somewhere to play a few quick games with friends, for a trip down memory lane.  I'm going on a small trip with my brothers here in a couple weeks, and I thought about bringing one of my mini consoles just to play a few games we used to play as kids.

Makes you wonder, if that compensation thing is the right guess, how much did they feel they needed?  The Lunar Touch on iOS as cheap as it is, and the Vay at just $1...what kind of cut is reasonable to them for something they're utterly hands off other than sticking a hand out just for money to rain on the palm of it?  It would be strange if it was some 30 year old petty childish beef that caused it which is just then disgusting, but given how the gaming industry on the whole still has a good spread of immature grown children in many places nothing would surprise me.

For me the CDs that sell it are Final Fight, Robo Aleste, Silpheed definitely, and to a lesser degree as I never really got into it as it was a bit strange Sonic CD.  My problem with the FMV games I don't find them very engaging, and Ecco I keep trying to like over the decades and it just sucks, confusing, going in circles a lot, very pretty looking and sounding but yeah sucks...  The others I'd take a crack at, some more than others, as I'm not into fire emblem style stuff much so Shining Force isn't a draw.

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Makes you wonder, if that compensation thing is the right guess, how much did they feel they needed?  The Lunar Touch on iOS as cheap as it is, and the Vay at just $1...what kind of cut is reasonable to them for something they're utterly hands off other than sticking a hand out just for money to rain on the palm of it?  It would be strange if it was some 30 year old petty childish beef that caused it which is just then disgusting, but given how the gaming industry on the whole still has a good spread of immature grown children in many places nothing would surprise me.

For me the CDs that sell it are Final Fight, Robo Aleste, Silpheed definitely, and to a lesser degree as I never really got into it as it was a bit strange Sonic CD.  My problem with the FMV games I don't find them very engaging, and Ecco I keep trying to like over the decades and it just sucks, confusing, going in circles a lot, very pretty looking and sounding but yeah sucks...  The others I'd take a crack at, some more than others, as I'm not into fire emblem style stuff much so Shining Force isn't a draw.

Napkin math:

I believe Amazon charges 15% listing fee for this category of item (assuming Sega of Japan is handling the order fulfillment in-house). This means of the $100, $15 goes to Amazon. So $85 goes to Sega.

Usually manufactures go for 20-50% gross margin on the products they make. So at the high end of profitability, their all in cost could be as low as $43 or if it’s less profitable it could cost as much as $68 to make each unit.

Im assuming all the Sega games likely have $0 royalties/ licensing fees.. this may or may not be true; if the product is truly an effort solely by Sega of Japan and all revenue goes to the Japanese business unit, it’s possible that Sega of America could want a small cut of licensing fees. There’s definitely costs for licensing each title that is coming from a 3rd party.

I don’t have much insights on the hardware cost, but I’d assume if you looked at the msrp price of something like a similarly spec’d raspberry pi, that’s probably similar to Sega’s hardware cost for the Sega mini 2 board + shell + controller + packaging. The difference between the hardware cost and the total cost ($43- $68) would represent  the amount they budget for licensing fees to 3rd parties.

Edited by phart010