IGNORED

Outdoor tv stand

phart010

My neighbor dumped a medium sized crt on the curb. I brought it in and tested it, still works fine. Only problem is my wife doesn’t want it in the house due to space (I dont blame her!)

I have it in my backyard now. I need to build a weatherproof stand for it now. Any ideas? 

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

A crt will not survive outside in any conditions unless it is covered, or protected. Depending on your climate, It might need conditioned space in the extremes. 

It can be done.  Remember the old days at places like Carowinds (in SC) or Six Flags (any in the southern states) where queues had rows of CRTs in boxes outside? Humidity in places could get to be really high and temperatures would be all over the place year over year. Something like that could work, but I’m not sure where one would find what type of ceiling mounted, bomb-grade cases they used at places like that.

18 minutes ago, RH said:

It can be done.  Remember the old days at places like Carowinds (in SC) or Six Flags (any in the southern states) where queues had rows of CRTs in boxes outside? Humidity in places could get to be really high and temperatures would be all over the place year over year. Something like that could work, but I’m not sure where one would find what type of ceiling mounted, bomb-grade cases they used at places like that.

That, and they probably replaced a lot of them on the regular.

Here’s what we’re doing so far since it just rained.

I made that stand out of the good pieces of old scrap wood when I tore down a rotted shed. Wasn’t intending to ever put a tv on it.

I still have a bunch of scrap, maybe will do something bigger but not sure what type of design yet

image.thumb.jpg.d86dfff260ead16fca77d2dc5a253b2c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RH said:

Oh OK, so they weren’t put on the ground on a stand made out of two by fours covered in plastic?

Like I said, if they are protected properly then they will survive like your example. These conditions are not equitable. Also, they may have been PVM’s which are built much more Hardy then consumer grade CRT TVs  

• Haha 1

My best friend growing up had a crt in a cabinet under they're patio. It just sat in a little wooden cabinet for years and years, through the Pennsylvania summers up to 100 degrees and 100% humidity through the winters of 5 below. He even had a N64 and SNES out there for years too before they eventually got stolen by his heathen cousin. 

Long story short, make it so it stays dry and it'll work forever. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

How small is your house that it won't fit a single tv?  If you pay half the mortgage don't you get half the space?  Do you not have a game room you could set it up in?  I super duper don't understand.... 🤷‍♂️

You either aren't married, or have the most accommodating spouse ever. In which case, you stay married to them until one of you dies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

How small is your house that it won't fit a single tv?  If you pay half the mortgage don't you get half the space?  Do you not have a game room you could set it up in?  I super duper don't understand.... 🤷‍♂️

Hell,. I pay all of the mortgage and have to barter some things past the doorway.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

32 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Hell,. I pay all of the mortgage and have to barter some things last the doorway.

Yeah, my wife has put her foot down that not another CRT is to enter the house, but that’s because I have about 7-8 of various sizes shapes and vintages.

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

You either aren't married, or have the most accommodating spouse ever. In which case, you stay married to them until one of you dies.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Hell,. I pay all of the mortgage and have to barter some things past the doorway.

Your forefathers are rolling over in their graves. 😞  Just so you know, not all married men live in parent-child relationships with their wives.  Nowadays most do, but not all...

(Sorry for derailing the thread, OP; best of luck with your outdoor CRT stand 🙂 )

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just so you know, not all married men live in parent-child relationships with their wives

Idek what that means. They would be rolling over tho bc I treat my wife like an equal human being whose opinion is valid and maintains an equal value as my own. 

My girlfriend on the other hand, stack CRTs to the sky in her living room. I could care less about her. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Your forefathers are rolling over in their graves. 😞  Just so you know, not all married men live in parent-child relationships with their wives.  Nowadays most do, but not all...

(Sorry for derailing the thread, OP; best of luck with your outdoor CRT stand 🙂 )

Yeah, no.  It’s not about a parent-child relationship and if you looked at the way spending happens in our house, my wife and I agree.  On everything.  That was a hard line we set before we were married. Managing the house is similar.

When I (and I assume most others) say that our wives “put their foot down” what we mean isn’t that she’s in control but that we have an internal social contract of love and respect.  My wife has really asked me not to get any more of these devices and hoard them.  She’s communicated her thoughts and feelings and now it’s my choice to respect them or not.

Marriage is where we hone “do unto others as you’d have them do unto you.” The shoe has been on the other foot for us, and I have strongly asked her not to do things in the past, (like no more wall art unless you remove something else from the house to take it’s place.) She respects me “putting my foot down” on wall art because, ultimately, we respect each other.

And to be clear, I’m not offended by your statements.  It just in context of my marriage, and probably most others around here, it’s not accurate to assume we’re pansy men being taken care of by our mommy-wives. I don’t bully my wife and she sure doesn’t bully me, but out of love and respect we do let each other know when their personal behavior is crossing the boundaries of some form of offense , even if it’s minor like an offense to the eyes.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

12 hours ago, RH said:

Yeah, no.  It’s not about a parent-child relationship and if you looked at the way spending happens in our house, my wife and I agree.  On everything.  That was a hard line we set before we were married. Managing the house is similar.

When I (and I assume most others) say that our wives “put their foot down” what we mean isn’t that she’s in control but that we have an internal social contract of love and respect.  My wife has really asked me not to get any more of these devices and hoard them.  She’s communicated her thoughts and feelings and now it’s my choice to respect them or not.

Marriage is where we hone “do unto others as you’d have them do unto you.” The shoe has been on the other foot for us, and I have strongly asked her not to do things in the past, (like no more wall art unless you remove something else from the house to take it’s place.) She respects me “putting my foot down” on wall art because, ultimately, we respect each other.

And to be clear, I’m not offended by your statements.  It just in context of my marriage, and probably most others around here, it’s not accurate to assume we’re pansy men being taken care of by our mommy-wives. I don’t bully my wife and she sure doesn’t bully me, but out of love and respect we do let each other know when their personal behavior is crossing the boundaries of some form of offense , even if it’s minor like an offense to the eyes.

I totally get what you're saying, it just really struck me as sad to come into a thread and see that someone was that passionate about finding a CRT to the degree of building a stand from scratch, but somehow that level of passion did not/does not translate to his wife caring enough about her husband's feelings to allow it inside the house?!?  It was just one of those wtf moments to see a guy who cares that much having to find a way to safely keep a piece of electronic equipment outside.  I dunno, maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who see's the world differently than everybody else, but I'm okay with that...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I totally get what you're saying, it just really struck me as sad to come into a thread and see that someone was that passionate about finding a CRT to the degree of building a stand from scratch, but somehow that level of passion did not/does not translate to his wife caring enough about her husband's feelings to allow it inside the house?!?  It was just one of those wtf moments to see a guy who cares that much having to find a way to safely keep a piece of electronic equipment outside.  I dunno, maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who see's the world differently than everybody else, but I'm okay with that...

I was thinking “remember when it was good advice to tell people not to keep electronics outside?” Lol

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, phart010 said:

Here’s what we’re doing so far since it just rained.

I made that stand out of the good pieces of old scrap wood when I tore down a rotted shed. Wasn’t intending to ever put a tv on it.

I still have a bunch of scrap, maybe will do something bigger but not sure what type of design yet

image.thumb.jpg.d86dfff260ead16fca77d2dc5a253b2c.jpg

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Okay, okay.... all jokes aside. 

What sort of game room situation are we dealing with here? Have you got your NES/SNES/64/whatever other system you need for this.... inside? 

I pray these will not venture outside to join this TV anytime soon. At least until it's dry....?

Because if you've got a game room, do you have a closet in it? Basement? Can you build it into the closet or make a "new" entertainment stand that will accommodate such a tv?

Otherwise, you need to build yourself a shed. 

On 8/9/2022 at 7:20 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

My best friend growing up had a crt in a cabinet under they're patio. It just sat in a little wooden cabinet for years and years, through the Pennsylvania summers up to 100 degrees and 100% humidity through the winters of 5 below. He even had a N64 and SNES out there for years too before they eventually got stolen by his heathen cousin. 

Long story short, make it so it stays dry and it'll work forever. 

Is 5 below supposed to be cold? Shit... I'd sit outside in 5 below and play NES

Wait... you're talking Fahrenheight? So that's *checks internet* -20.5 C..... WHAT? 

What? Temperature in F is wild.... like.... do you say that "Oh, it's 32 degrees out, it's freezing."? 

Am I fucking dumb or just really high right now? That sounds wild to me.... Shit freezing at 32 degrees. 

Okay, wait... when you say "5 below", are you meaning "5 below freezing" so like.... 27F? 

Because in Canada we mean "5 below 0", which would be "freezing", but since 0 isn't freezing for you, maybe you just say "# below" and everyone understands what you mean...? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

is 5 below supposed to be cold? Shit... I'd sit outside in 5 below and play NES

Wait... you're talking Fahrenheight? So that's *checks internet* -20.5 C..... WHAT? 

What? Temperature in F is wild.... like.... do you say that "Oh, it's 32 degrees out, it's freezing."? 

Am I fucking dumb or just really high right now? That sounds wild to me.... Shit freezing at 32 degrees. 

Okay, wait... when you say "5 below", are you meaning "5 below freezing" so like.... 27F? 

Because in Canada we mean "5 below 0", which would be "freezing", but since 0 isn't freezing for you, maybe you just say "# below" and everyone understands what you mean...? 

No, we Yanks mean 5 below 0 is 5 below 0 Fahrenheit, which is 20 below for you igloo people Canadians.

32 Fahrenheit is where water freezes. 0 degrees Fahrenheit was derived from the freezing point of the most saturated brine solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1