IGNORED

Outdoor tv stand

phart010

11 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I totally get what you're saying, it just really struck me as sad to come into a thread and see that someone was that passionate about finding a CRT to the degree of building a stand from scratch, but somehow that level of passion did not/does not translate to his wife caring enough about her husband's feelings to allow it inside the house?!?  It was just one of those wtf moments to see a guy who cares that much having to find a way to safely keep a piece of electronic equipment outside.  I dunno, maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who see's the world differently than everybody else, but I'm okay with that...

Building a stand from scratch is no big deal. It’s just old wood from wrecked shed that most people would have tossed into a dumpster. I just cut off all the rotten parts.

I have power tools so the thing really only took like 1 hour to make. I could easily scale it up to a bigger size suitable for a tv using more junk wood in the same amount of time. I wouldn’t call it a passion project, more just something that a person with a keenness towards carpentry does to goof off.

Believe me, if there were any passion in this, I would be buying materials, not collecting garbage scraps

edit: by the way, I weatherproofed that stand today by stapling the plastic to it. That’s gonna be where I charge my phone in the backyard and also the power outlet will go on the shelf. 
FC6F0DCF-E262-44F8-986C-1BF2E40A388D.thumb.jpeg.b9014ba7da8293a0ede9bcdbd2c0affb.jpeg

DF2A2515-021C-45AB-AA0B-563D33629363.thumb.jpeg.63b7228d5f5ecebeef4532784f9e36d2.jpeg
there’s one U shaped sheet of plastic wrapped around the 3 sides. There’s one flap hanging on front, only stapled at the top so it can be flipped open for cable entry. Then there’s a plastic roof with good overhang so all the water will drip over the edges. Just cut the plastic with scissors and stapled it on

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Idek what that means. They would be rolling over tho bc I treat my wife like an equal human being whose opinion is valid and maintains an equal value as my own. 

My girlfriend on the other hand, stack CRTs to the sky in her living room. I could care less about her. 

Wife -AND- girlfriend eh!?

• Wow! 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Ok, @phart010, you have an obligation to the world to carry this "outdoor man cave" project out to completion.

Shelves of vinyl and action movies and video games, with stapled saran wrap shielding it from hated rain.

Foosball and pool tables, underneath an awning made of 2x4s and plastic tarp.

Fridge out in the middle of the yard.

We need this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 3

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Ok, @phart010, you have an obligation to the world to carry this "outdoor man cave" project out to completion.

Shelves of vinyl and action movies and video games, with stapled saran wrap shielding it from hated rain.

We need this.

Had to stop in the middle of construction yesterday because of rain. I left the power outlet plugged in overnight and everything inside the plastic stayed dry 

image.jpg.b7b9b622d6ea0f913fd46ad7e24267b2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.bdc373ab4ed7ce420e0ee936f5a038c0.jpg

I’ve decided now tv stand will have tv on top, one shelf for a game console and one shelf for a DVD player. The stand will be protected with a plastic sheet for weather protection and I will make a custom fitted tarp for throwing over the tv 

2F47C8A7-33D1-4BD0-B196-59A86C214878.thumb.jpeg.f3dcf989814ab080240cf5c059e53704.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

We need this.

I’d do it if I were not afraid someone would come by at night and loot it all 😝

On 8/10/2022 at 9:14 PM, Tanooki said:

Well if it were up to me, and most here would be glad it's not, it would have been left outside, at the curb, on trash day where a relic like that belongs.  One is bad enough but a half dozen in RH's case?  She's overly tolerant.

They can be left out to the relic dumps once there is a drop in replacement way to use lightguns

• Agree 1

I applaud your enthusiasm (and boredness?) to go through all this for a free CRT on the gutter, but but its weird to me that she won’t allow it in the house but is cool with it on a scabbed together stand with a plastic bag on top in the yard. 

Dont get me wrong, the craftsmanship is admirable in the stand- but this whole thing seems like having a car on your lawn with no wheels with a tarp on top. What about in your garage? Thats where I keep my PVM.  Or a 200$ suncoast plastic shed or something?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I applaud your enthusiasm (and boredness?) to go through all this for a free CRT on the gutter, but but its weird to me that she won’t allow it in the house but is cool with it on a scabbed together stand with a plastic bag on top in the yard. 

Dont get me wrong, the craftsmanship is admirable in the stand- but this whole thing seems like having a car on your lawn with no wheels with a tarp on top. What about in your garage? Thats where I keep my PVM.  Or a 200$ suncoast plastic shed or something?

A CRT with a tarp over it in the yard would be 10 times harder to convince the wife into than just bringing it into the garage or shed. 

• Like 3

I was thinking of the best way to tarp the tv without making it look too janky (if that’s even possible at this point lol 😝)

I thought about putting a box 📦 over top the tv and then cutting out pierces of tarp to surround the box. The problem with that is that anywhere you cut the tarp becomes a possible leak area at some point in the future. 

The best way to make a box without any cutting, (hence no leaking) is the Chinese fast food paper takeout box. It only uses folds. I found a template for this online

1E269DCE-232E-49B7-BB49-EBB6A3F5E4FF.thumb.png.1da85f279eb5d109f26c4fca21fb4183.png
4FC20734-E1C3-46C8-A4E1-CEE810F4AD15.thumb.jpeg.60cbe9f5c8e52e0a5a2816ca40987773.jpegC8E4A86A-09AC-438B-AA0C-608D929B19F6.thumb.jpeg.88c45be6507cb0e3cc89657297e8388b.jpeg

Edited by phart010

Now to answer some comments. I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can:

On 8/11/2022 at 1:10 AM, Kguillemette said:

I don't have much productive to add here, but I love the idea of this project. And as a married man, I got a huge laugh out of this whole thread.

Haha thanks. I don’t take things like this too seriously so if you got a laugh out of it I’m happy

23 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I agree with my wife. Our house is just too small. Adding a tv isn’t just the space the tv takes up, it also requires a seating area for viewing it. Our current setup doesn’t have space to add another tv and I am not trying to turn the living room upside down to accommodate a junk crt. There is a good little spot for this crt in the corner of my backyard and it works perfect for my daughters while they are sitting at their picnic table.

6 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

A CRT with a tarp over it in the yard would be 10 times harder to convince the wife into than just bringing it into the garage or shed. 

There was no convincing necessary to do this outside. My wife doesn’t come out to the backyard often, it’s mostly just me back here.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Didn't @docile tapeworm used to have a gaming shed? Skinny, your expert advice is needed!

A dedicated shed costs too much. I made this with recycled junk materials, only had to buy the plastic for $5 at Walmart and the 2 boxes for $2 each. I already had all the tools and other materials used. This was a fun project and if it ends up failing and stuff gets water damaged, I’m ok with it since everything was junk to begin with

On 8/9/2022 at 3:27 PM, drxandy said:

What climate are you in?

Pole barn/shed/one of those prebuilt home Depot jobs that could also be a tiny house?

Edit: I really like the idea of making an acrylic casing but I don't know about ventilation or glare

Central North Carolina. Summers into the 80-100s and our coldest winters sometimes get freezing in the 20s. No tiny house is not an option because of both space and cost. This wasn’t intended to be a big project, I did the whole thing in a few hours by recycling some junk. If/when it fails I can just dump the monitor

On 8/9/2022 at 8:46 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Hell,. I pay all of the mortgage and have to barter some things past the doorway.

same here

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1