IGNORED

Outdoor tv stand

phart010

On 8/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, AirVillain said:

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Okay, okay.... all jokes aside. 

What sort of game room situation are we dealing with here? Have you got your NES/SNES/64/whatever other system you need for this.... inside? 

I pray these will not venture outside to join this TV anytime soon. At least until it's dry....?

Because if you've got a game room, do you have a closet in it? Basement? Can you build it into the closet or make a "new" entertainment stand that will accommodate such a tv?

Otherwise, you need to build yourself a shed. 

Games are in the house. It’s just the tv that’s staying outside. I will bring a console out when it’s needed, but only keep it out there during use.

The tv doesn’t need to be in the house. It’s not a treasure to me, I am not trying to preserve it. It’s going to be for daily use, I work from home and have been spending more time working on my laptop outside on the patio. It’s good for getting sunlight and fresh air. I’ve been encouraging my kids to spend more time outside too, this tv is good motivation .

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

A dedicated shed costs too much. I made this with recycled junk materials, only had to buy the plastic for $5 at Walmart and the 2 boxes for $2 each. I already had all the tools and other materials used. This was a fun project and if it ends up failing and stuff gets water damaged, I’m ok with it since everything was junk to begin with

Bah, if anyone can make a shed for $7, it's Skinny. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Tulpa said:

Didn't @docile tapeworm used to have a gaming shed? Skinny, your expert advice is needed!

Lol I did have a shed (hurricane Michael took her 😢) it didn’t have any insulation, it had holes in the walls/roof (got pretty cold in there during the winter). Anything out there was extra stuff that didn’t deserve to be inside with the civilized gaming stuff.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Lol I did have a shed (hurricane Michael took her 😢) it didn’t have any insulation, it had holes in the walls/roof (got pretty cold in there during the winter). Anything out there was extra stuff that didn’t deserve to be inside with the civilized gaming stuff.

That's too bad. I remember that you used to post photos of your setup in there.😞 I was supremely jealous. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, phart010 said:

Games are in the house. It’s just the tv that’s staying outside. I will bring a console out when it’s needed, but only keep it out there during use.

The tv doesn’t need to be in the house. It’s not a treasure to me, I am not trying to preserve it. It’s going to be for daily use, I work from home and have been spending more time working on my laptop outside on the patio. It’s good for getting sunlight and fresh air. I’ve been encouraging my kids to spend more time outside too, this tv is good motivation .

You gotta be trolling us here, man. Seriously. 

Of course it's not a "treasure" but you don't leave your god damned TV outside to play on the patio. 

Getting sunlight and fresh air is about exactly that. Going for a walk and getting that. Go play at the park. Play basketball. Not sitting on your patio and playing video games. 

I mean.... you do you. If that's what it takes to set a good example for the kids and get them outside... then... okay.  🤷‍♂️

Never once have I thought "Oh... I'll just enjoy a nice day outside playing video games."..... but that's just me. 

@phart010Please. Honestly. You are really taking this too far. You must be trolling us. To that I say, good job. If not... please reconsider what you've done. 

... just speak with your partner like an adult. Or, put it in the garage? What are you playing your NES/SNES on now? You need something for them? 

On 8/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

A CRT with a tarp over it in the yard would be 10 times harder to convince the wife into than just bringing it into the garage or shed. 

Whelp... doneski. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, MrWunderful said:

I applaud your enthusiasm (and boredness?) to go through all this for a free CRT on the gutter, but but its weird to me that she won’t allow it in the house but is cool with it on a scabbed together stand with a plastic bag on top in the yard. 

Dont get me wrong, the craftsmanship is admirable in the stand- but this whole thing seems like having a car on your lawn with no wheels with a tarp on top. What about in your garage? Thats where I keep my PVM.  Or a 200$ suncoast plastic shed or something?

I'm not sure how the duct tape box is a more desirable solution for any party, CRT included. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:48 PM, phart010 said:

Done!

D7751A50-0AAF-4D8C-A111-227789B27D3A.thumb.jpeg.9513f625aded5f8b87f667ee3777d5ad.jpeg

Sir. Please. Think about what you've done here. 

I am genuinely shocked at what I'm looking at. 

This is a good troll job. Very much effort went into this. 

Edited by AirVillain
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, AirVillain said:

You gotta be trolling us here, man. Seriously. 

Of course it's not a "treasure" but you don't leave your god damned TV outside to play on the patio. 

Getting sunlight and fresh air is about exactly that. Going for a walk and getting that. Go play at the park. Play basketball. Not sitting on your patio and playing video games. 

I mean.... you do you. If that's what it takes to set a good example for the kids and get them outside... then... okay.  🤷‍♂️

Never once have I thought "Oh... I'll just enjoy a nice day outside playing video games."..... but that's just me. 

@phart010Please. Honestly. You are really taking this too far. You must be trolling us. To that I say, good job. If not... please reconsider what you've done. 

... just speak with your partner like an adult. Or, put it in the garage? What are you playing your NES/SNES on now? You need something for them? 

Whelp... doneski. 

I'm not sure how the duct tape box is a more desirable solution for any party, CRT included. 

Sir. Please. Think about what you've done here. 

I am genuinely shocked at what I'm looking at. 

This is a good troll job. Very much effort went into this. 

That’s not a duct tape box. It’s a tarp. Just happens to be the same color as duct tape. The tarp alone would have been a  mess so it’s attached to the giant Chinese takeout box for structural rigidity.

Heavy rain last night. Everything stayed dry. Even the cardboard mat the tv is sitting on to keep the tv bottom from puncturing the plastic. 

I get it if your a little jealous, nobody else has this setup besides me. 😝 

0CC256E4-6678-40D9-BB3E-8808186D0B74.thumb.jpeg.760872cff9204743ca46318a0edfdbba.jpeg
CC160510-5A79-421F-A0C9-1C721AAD8500.thumb.jpeg.ac6ea46452370a506bc1583a775b02df.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, phart010 said:

That’s not a duct tape box. It’s a tarp. Just happens to be the same color as duct tape. The tarp alone would have been a  mess so it’s attached to the giant Chinese takeout box for structural rigidity.

Heavy rain last night. Everything stayed dry. Even the cardboard mat the tv is sitting on to keep the tv bottom from puncturing the plastic. 

I get it if your a little jealous, nobody else has this setup besides me. 😝 

0CC256E4-6678-40D9-BB3E-8808186D0B74.thumb.jpeg.760872cff9204743ca46318a0edfdbba.jpeg
CC160510-5A79-421F-A0C9-1C721AAD8500.thumb.jpeg.ac6ea46452370a506bc1583a775b02df.jpeg

Absolute barbarity and masochism aside, I genuinely don't understand how this is a good solution for either party. 

You have a TELEVISION (aka. piece of electronic equipment) sitting outside, what about winter?, and your partner now has this monstrosity in their backyard/driveway.... nobody wins. Everyone loses. It's like the worst type of compromise for both parties.

My perspective might be a little skewed because I live in Canada. In summer there's a ton of moisture (dew) on EVERYTHING in the morning.... sssssooooooo.... even when it doesn't rain your shit gets wet. Now winter... do we even need to talk about it? 

Either way... good luck with your outdoor gaming! 

Edited by AirVillain
clarifying...

5 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Absolute barbarity and masochism aside, I genuinely don't understand how this is a good solution for either party. 

You have a TELEVISION (aka. piece of electronic equipment) sitting outside, what about winter?, and your partner now has this monstrosity in their backyard/driveway.... nobody wins. Everyone loses. It's like the worst type of compromise for both parties.

My perspective might be a little skewed because I live in Canada. In summer there's a ton of moisture (dew) on EVERYTHING in the morning.... sssssooooooo.... even when it doesn't rain your shit gets wet. Now winter... do we even need to talk about it? 

Either way... good luck with your outdoor gaming! 

As I said, my wife doesn’t come out to the backyard often, so it doesn’t bother her at all. Winters in the middle of NC are mild, we only really get below freezing temperatures in December through March, even then it’s only on some days during that period and mostly only during night time hours. I keep track of nights that have freezing temperatures because I have an outdoor cat and have to make sure he stays warm.

Humidity certainly won’t be an issue.. I don’t know if the freezing temps will really hurt the crt, but if it makes you feel better I can light a candle and place it under the tv on freezing temp nights 😝

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, phart010 said:

As I said, my wife doesn’t come out to the backyard often, so it doesn’t bother her at all. Winters in the middle of NC are mild, we only really get below freezing temperatures in December through March, even then it’s only on some days during that period and mostly only during night time hours. I keep track of nights that have freezing temperatures because I have an outdoor cat and have to make sure he stays warm.

Humidity certainly won’t be an issue.. I don’t know if the freezing temps will really hurt the crt, but if it makes you feel better I can light a candle and place it under the tv on freezing temp nights 😝

Right. 

Well. There IS a solution then. It does NOT involve cardboard or a tarp. 

In fact, there's tons of options.... here's two: 

1) Cabinet.... with house at bottom for the cat, of course. 

2) Mini Storage Shed. Pre-made. Hell, at that point I'd throw a recliner in there and have a mini gaming set-up. A "Gaming Shed" as it were, like Skinny. 

Some muh's want their lawnmower in their shed in the backyard... others want their CRT.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, AirVillain said:

Right. 

Well. There IS a solution then. It does NOT involve cardboard or a tarp. 

In fact, there's tons of options.... here's two: 

1) Cabinet.... with house at bottom for the cat, of course. 

2) Mini Storage Shed. Pre-made. Hell, at that point I'd throw a recliner in there and have a mini gaming set-up. A "Gaming Shed" as it were, like Skinny. 

Some muh's want their lawnmower in their shed in the backyard... others want their CRT.  🤷‍♂️

3) keep existing setup as is 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2022 at 11:28 AM, AirVillain said:

Based on context clues from OP's responses, I'd say the issue is most likely one of there just not being any room in the house to put the TV, and OP's wife not really caring so much that he has it, so long as it isn't randomly stuck in the house.

Despite many seeing CRTs as the grails of old school gaming, this one doesn't appear to have been in immaculate shape when received, nor is it an especially rare or sought after model.  As such, OP isn't broken up about whether it might ultimately die as a result of being outdoors, and isn't about to go spending any serious money trying to build it its own insulated, weatherproofed shrine.  He's done a great job with what's on hand for free, and it's proved to be just as functional as the multiple hundred dollar shed that folks keep suggesting he buy for a $10-at-Salvation-Army junk CRT.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you've got, other times you choose to do so because monetary investment just isn't worth it.  This seems to be the latter of the two cases, and would likely look fairly professional with a bit of sanding and a cheap rattle can of water resistant Krylon to make everything one color.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Most CRTs nowadays are sitting outside in alleys anyway. And gamers scoop them up regardless of weather, vermin, or other nasties and stick them in their living room. I fail to see how a TV sitting under a tarp is any worse. 😛

Yup, at least before they find a "loving" home.  Usually, so long as one is totally dried out and/or cleaned off before being powered on again, it doesn't much matter if they got rained on, etc.  It's when they're ON and water is present that's the problem.  In the days before AC was in every house (or households that just didn't have it, such as mine growing up), the humidity inside was frequently the same as it was outside, so I can't really see that as being any sort of real factor for this thing giving up the ghost so long as it's kept out of direct contact with water.

If this thing was a PVM, I could see more legitimacy for the community to be worried about it, but it's simply not, it's an average, run of the mill tube TV, and not one in particularly great shape.  @phart010 is doing what he can on a budget to make sure it keeps operating, but clearly intends to do what everybody did when these things were the height of gaming tech--just use it, and most likely use it until it stops working, then drop it (back) off on the curb.  And I'm in the camp that is not only just fine with that, but thinks everybody else should be too.  On the flip side, there's always the line about how "it's his property, so he can do whatever he wants with it" to consider...  🤔

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Most CRTs nowadays are sitting outside in alleys anyway. And gamers scoop them up regardless of weather, vermin, or other nasties and stick them in their living room. I fail to see how a TV sitting under a tarp is any worse. 😛

Missing the point entirely; the OP is not storing a CRT outside, he has set up and is using a CRT outside.  Entirely different kettle of fish... 😉

To be clear.... I'm ALL FOR the OP doing whatever they want and enjoying themselves. It's their backyard, their CRT, and their space. I'm happy for them! This is NOT sarcasm. 

As many have mentioned.... it's OP's shit, so they can do whatever they want with it. And I applaud that. 

However, they specifically asked "Any ideas?"...

So what? Are we all supposed to say "It's your shit, do what you want."? No... we are supposed to answer the question honestly and tell the OP our ideas, as requested. 

It's our duty to offer our opinion and "assistance" as requested so that members here don't end up on "Gaming Set Ups with Threatening Aura's" (something that we might have been unable to avoid here, sadly) and to help from previous experience like Skinny's gangster shed... (first part sarcasm, last part truth)

Hence, me offering alternative ideas to that of a tarp, tape, and cardboard....

On 8/16/2022 at 1:40 PM, phart010 said:

3) keep existing setup as is 😛

22 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Based on context clues from OP's responses, I'd say the issue is most likely one of there just not being any room in the house to put the TV, and OP's wife not really caring so much that he has it, so long as it isn't randomly stuck in the house.

Despite many seeing CRTs as the grails of old school gaming, this one doesn't appear to have been in immaculate shape when received, nor is it an especially rare or sought after model.  As such, OP isn't broken up about whether it might ultimately die as a result of being outdoors, and isn't about to go spending any serious money trying to build it its own insulated, weatherproofed shrine.  He's done a great job with what's on hand for free, and it's proved to be just as functional as the multiple hundred dollar shed that folks keep suggesting he buy for a $10-at-Salvation-Army junk CRT.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you've got, other times you choose to do so because monetary investment just isn't worth it.  This seems to be the latter of the two cases, and would likely look fairly professional with a bit of sanding and a cheap rattle can of water resistant Krylon to make everything one color.

sue makes stuff GIF

Jokes, please see below. 

10 minutes ago, Link said:

Settle down, Beavis. I think you need to switch up your strain. Less sativa

Please see above.

Haha, I can assure you the Sativa wouldn't be any different.

Not unsettled here, man, just giving my ideas as the OP requested. 

To the OP, I get that you're doing your own thing.... and I applaud that. Well done.

For reference, or future generations that happen upon this thread, here is my logic:

There are infinite cabinet/"mini shed" possibilities that seemingly makes using an origami cardboard box with tape and a tarp over it on top of a plastic covered TV stand seems like it's MORE effort for LESS effectiveness. 

You've spent $9, from what I can tell.... as the previous options involved spending some money, the following would be what I would do given your skillset with the fun/challenge of trying to spend as little cash as possible.  

Option #1 - Buy a cabinet at a thrift store or yard sale for $10 and weatherproof it with your tarp and a bottle of Flex Seal. 

Option #2 - You also seem to be decently good at carpentry as demonstrated by your abilities to create the stand that's there. 

Why not take it a step further and create a box unit for the TV? Then you can weather proof that with your tarp and paint it accordingly? 

I think you could create an entire unit, as to avoid the plastic wrap, and "hide" the tarp over the top. 

But if the takeout box with a tarp is your style.... then.... this:

On 8/12/2022 at 8:05 PM, MrWunderful said:

this whole thing seems like having a car on your lawn with no wheels with a tarp on top.

And if you're fine with that then cool, man. Cool. 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

To be clear.... I'm ALL FOR the OP doing whatever they want and enjoying themselves. It's their backyard, their CRT, and their space. I'm happy for them! This is NOT sarcasm. 

As many have mentioned.... it's OP's shit, so they can do whatever they want with it. And I applaud that. 

However, they specifically asked "Any ideas?"...

So what? Are we all supposed to say "It's your shit, do what you want."? No... we are supposed to answer the question honestly and tell the OP our ideas, as requested. 

It's our duty to offer our opinion and "assistance" as requested so that members here don't end up on "Gaming Set Ups with Threatening Aura's" (something that we might have been unable to avoid here, sadly) and to help from previous experience like Skinny's gangster shed... (first part sarcasm, last part truth)

Hence, me offering alternative ideas to that of a tarp, tape, and cardboard....

sue makes stuff GIF

Jokes, please see below. 

Please see above.

Haha, I can assure you the Sativa wouldn't be any different.

Not unsettled here, man, just giving my ideas as the OP requested. 

To the OP, I get that you're doing your own thing.... and I applaud that. Well done.

For reference, or future generations that happen upon this thread, here is my logic:

There are infinite cabinet/"mini shed" possibilities that seemingly makes using an origami cardboard box with tape and a tarp over it on top of a plastic covered TV stand seems like it's MORE effort for LESS effectiveness. 

You've spent $9, from what I can tell.... as the previous options involved spending some money, the following would be what I would do given your skillset with the fun/challenge of trying to spend as little cash as possible.  

Option #1 - Buy a cabinet at a thrift store or yard sale for $10 and weatherproof it with your tarp and a bottle of Flex Seal. 

Option #2 - You also seem to be decently good at carpentry as demonstrated by your abilities to create the stand that's there. 

Why not take it a step further and create a box unit for the TV? Then you can weather proof that with your tarp and paint it accordingly? 

I think you could create an entire unit, as to avoid the plastic wrap, and "hide" the tarp over the top. 

But if the takeout box with a tarp is your style.... then.... this:

And if you're fine with that then cool, man. Cool. 🤷‍♂️

Now your talking. Good ideas

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Now your talking. Good ideas

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, haha. Or which ones....

Either way.... all the best! 

1 hour ago, Link said:

I said less

Just got it backwards/mistyped. Could/should have said "the *STRAIN wouldn't be any different." As in "less sativa and more indica/hybrid isn't going to change anything". 

But since you're now saying less... either way, whether it's less sativa, or less weed in general... nope... won't make a difference. 😎👍

• Haha 1