IGNORED

Game Debate #110: Quest 64

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

I played it because after Chrono, earthbound, secret of evermore, ff3, super mario rpg etc I was absolutely dying for an RPG on the Nintendo 64. Man it wasnt great but it was all i could get. 

I was also salivating for earthbound 64 and got salty when they didn’t end up putting it out

The eyeroll was the troll line I've seen since 20 years back, one of the top 5 N64 RPGs...even saying it had 5 was a stretch.

While I think a 4 is harsh, it is a middle of the road game for sure, at least as said, if you keep it in the bubble of the N64 it's the best of what's there, but is it a best, no...it's not.  But where they did well was breaking the wall of the JRPG in various ways with people respecting you for your efforts with inns and goods, and greatly so with a new system of combat, and one that smartly works, and works well.  It's worthy of a play, at least once, though I don't think it really is a 15 hour game, it's not long, but it's not that short either unless I just really took my time because I wanted to not miss any of those wisps for magic power and didn't want to be underleveled.

"Quest 64 was an RPG on the N64".

...And thus concludes the positive things I have to say about Quest 64. Grindy, ugly, slow, uninspired, story beyond cliche. This game was the electronic equivalent of getting a lump of coal in your stocking on Christmas morning.

3/10

Edited by Webhead123
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

Objectively I'd probably give this game about a 3. But there's a lot of nostalgia at play here. I grew with NES/SNES/N64 and didn't have access to Playstation til the 2000s. I wasn't well-versed in RPGs at the time but I knew I liked them based on Mario RPG, Lufia 2 and Final Fantasy 6. Quest 64 was, as many people know, the first of like 3 or 4 total RPGs on N64. So regardless of its quality, I loved it at the time. Loved, as in, it was one of my favorite games for quite a while. My 15 year old self from 1998 would've given it a 9. Obviously it's nowhere near that. As the years went on, I played more and more RPGs and realized how bad the game actually is. And for a while I refused to replay it, until i finally did play it a second time some 7 or 8 years ago and actually liked it. Of course I went into it expecting it to be the worst game ever, which it wasn't. So the years spent apart actually softened my view on it, and that's where I land today - at a 6/10. Definitely not a great game, but one that I enjoy regardless of quality.

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

14 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

Objectively I'd probably give this game about a 3. But there's a lot of nostalgia at play here. I grew with NES/SNES/N64 and didn't have access to Playstation til the 2000s. I wasn't well-versed in RPGs at the time but I knew I liked them based on Mario RPG, Lufia 2 and Final Fantasy 6. Quest 64 was, as many people know, the first of like 3 or 4 total RPGs on N64. So regardless of its quality, I loved it at the time. Loved, as in, it was one of my favorite games for quite a while. My 15 year old self from 1998 would've given it a 9. Obviously it's nowhere near that. As the years went on, I played more and more RPGs and realized how bad the game actually is. And for a while I refused to replay it, until i finally did play it a second time some 7 or 8 years ago and actually liked it. Of course I went into it expecting it to be the worst game ever, which it wasn't. So the years spent apart actually softened my view on it, and that's where I land today - at a 6/10. Definitely not a great game, but one that I enjoy regardless of quality.

I think this is perfectly reasonable.  If I had never played an RPG before and this was my introduction, I might have given it a 7-8 back then when it was new.  But, I also had games like OoT.  Though not an RPG, there are general similarities since this is adventure-like in some respects.  Zelda was a 10 in my book, so putting this at a 7-8, and ignoring my entire RPG history to that point could make sense of rating this well.

• Like 1

I didn't have a PS1 either, was a little salty over the crap Square pulled after the N64 FF cocktease CGI demo they ran with before bailing, but I also did get the game, once it immediately came out on PC I grabbed it.  I had a nice solid video (3D) card a matrox mystique so I could run it in higher resolution better frame rate than PS1 could do, and running the full sample package of the Yamaha Soundsynth they licensed to use the audio reasonably in more tracks than not were better than the PS1 redbook stuff which was nuts (given the core was MIDI.)  I knew there was a gulf between Quest 64 and what I could have had, just didn't care, I still had access to a litany of SNES/NES era games (RPG, adventures) I didn't get in the day so I didn't suffer finally visiting stuff like dragon warrior for one and other RPG-ish stuff on PC too.  I knew Quest wasn't a 8-10 level game, but for what it was I knew it also wasn't just some 5 and under turd, there were worse, lots worse. 🙂   @AstralSoul he said it best, got into having a PS1 after 2000, but I wasn't blind to things so I can be a bit more objective and not just gush or hate on it.  It just is what it is.

Well that's fine, I'd rather play Quest than FF7, FF7 just never grabbed me, never finished it either, Quest I have, twice, so I would feel a need to score it higher since it kept my attention.  FF7 was a kick in the nuts after what 4-6 did (yes I played 5 in the 90s, original translation I did before I did FF7.)

I just love that they called it "Quest 64" like they couldn't bother to come up with anything creative at all.

Check out this hot, new video game for the Nintendo GameConsole-64! It's called Third-Party RPG 64! Created by Game Developer and published by American Toy Company.

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, cj_robot said:

I just love that they called it "Quest 64" like they couldn't bother to come up with anything creative at all.

Check out this hot, new video game for the Nintendo GameConsole-64! It's called Third-Party RPG 64! Created by Game Developer and published by American Toy Company.

I don't mind the "64" bit because for whatever reason that's what a lot of studios did was throw "64" at the end of every title.  "Quest", however, is terrible.  Who would simply name a game Quest and think that's appealing?

I mean that's a fine name if it's 1979 and this is an Atari 2600 title, but in the 90s where there's plenty of pure competition for gamer dollars, that's just lazy. The name is apt to the bland nature of the game though.  If you got this and didn't like it (I'm looking at myself too on this accusation) it's not like they didn't soft warn you with a name like that.

• Agree 1

So I haven't played it. Only heard about it relatively recently. I've never cared much for straight RPGs, so I am interested to try it. That said, 

On 7/14/2022 at 7:16 AM, spacepup said:

It felt very uninspired and generic, and it just never grasped me.  I definitely didn't finish the game, and probably didn't get very far at all to be honest.  Maybe it got a little better as you went on?  

Look at the title they went with. I'm gonna say the first impression here is correct. (Edit: fuck, beaten) I still want to check it out, though. 

Edited by Link

4 hours ago, cj_robot said:

Playstation had Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Grandia, Vagrant Story, etc.

N64 had Quest 64. It's like the generic store brand RPG.

• Haha 2