IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO CUP SOCCER!

BeaIank

48 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Rugby is nothing like American football-

• no forward passes
  • no blocking
  • it's called a pitch, not a field
  • you actually have to touch the ball down in the zone for the try to count
  • metered lines, not yards
  • no toe cleats allowed
  • your shorts have pockets
  • your jersey has a collar, like a gentleman

If you trace the evolution of the sports, rugby evolved from soccer, and American football evolved from rugby.  Makes a lot of things in American football make sense in that context too, like how anyone can make a lateral pass at any time, or how drop goals are still a thing (albeit rare).  I prefer rugby personally, but the sports have a lot in common because one begat the other.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

If you trace the evolution of the sports, rugby evolved from soccer, and American football evolved from rugby.  Makes a lot of things in American football make sense in that context too, like how anyone can make a lateral pass at any time, or how drop goals are still a thing (albeit rare).  I prefer rugby personally, but the sports have a lot in common because one begat the other.

Are those a thing while you're running with it in American football?  I know you can drop goal on field goals and extra points if you want, but I've never seen somebody try it while the ball is in play like rugby.

6 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Are those a thing while you're running with it in American football?  I know you can drop goal on field goals and extra points if you want, but I've never seen somebody try it while the ball is in play like rugby.

A drop goal is attempting to kick the ball through the uprights when the ball hits the ground.  The big difference between a drop goal and a punt is the contact with the ground.  They're tricky to execute accurately in the context of an American football game, so it's always noteworthy when it happens.  From the Wikipedia article for drop goals:

To date, the only successful drop kick in the NFL since 1941 was by Doug Flutie, the backup quarterback of the New England Patriots, against the Miami Dolphins on January 1, 2006, for an extra point after a touchdown. Flutie had estimated "an 80 percent chance" of making the drop kick,[13] which was called to give Flutie, 43 at the time, the opportunity to make a historic kick in his final NFL game; the drop kick was his last play in the NFL.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Rugby is nothing like American football-

• no forward passes
  • no blocking
  • it's called a pitch, not a field
  • you actually have to touch the ball down in the zone for the try to count
  • metered lines, not yards
  • no toe cleats allowed
  • your shorts have pockets
  • your jersey has a collar, like a gentleman

that-is-absurd.jpg

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
26 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

A drop goal is attempting to kick the ball through the uprights when the ball hits the ground.  The big difference between a drop goal and a punt is the contact with the ground.  They're tricky to execute accurately in the context of an American football game, so it's always noteworthy when it happens.  From the Wikipedia article for drop goals:

To date, the only successful drop kick in the NFL since 1941 was by Doug Flutie, the backup quarterback of the New England Patriots, against the Miami Dolphins on January 1, 2006, for an extra point after a touchdown. Flutie had estimated "an 80 percent chance" of making the drop kick,[13] which was called to give Flutie, 43 at the time, the opportunity to make a historic kick in his final NFL game; the drop kick was his last play in the NFL.

Yes, I know what a drop kick is (played rugby for 10+ years).   You're describing a drop kick.

In rugby, you can also score one while you're RUNNING, which is a drop goal.   Like you see you can't make it to the try line, so you drop kick it for 3.   Pretty sure you can't do that anywhere in American football.

18 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yes, I know what a drop kick is (played rugby for 10+ years).   You're describing a drop kick.

In rugby, you can also score one while you're RUNNING, which is a drop goal.   Like you see you can't make it to the try line, so you drop kick it for 3.   Pretty sure you can't do that anywhere in American football.

Yeah, you're right.  I used the wrong term.

BREAKING NEWS: BRITNEY SPEARS IS PREGNANT!!!! | Sports, Hip Hop & Piff -  The Coli

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Finally got my motion pretty and filed. And finally got to put this thing in a little after work. Holy shit @BeaIank,  you werent kidding! This team is jacked. Tops on steroids! 

Didnt get a pic of game 1 but won 8-0.  Up 5-1 early second half game 2. Bedtime to deal with. Will start fresh after game 1 of nba finals if I can stay awake. So much fun. Wish I could have been on it all week

So you're saying I may have some competition this week then?  Maybe I'll do another run or two...

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:00 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

So you're saying I may have some competition this week then?  Maybe I'll do another run or two...

Game 1: 18-0

Game 2: 5-1

Total - 22 points

No exploded balls this time! Wolf move failed me with tons of guts to spare. Ayrton bicycle point blank. I peppered Arthur with shots. He was rolling

20220604_114329.jpg

20220604_120347.jpg

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Game 1: 11-0

Game 2: coming soon

I still haven't broke that milestone yet, but Brazil is a LOT tougher.  I've managed to get shutouts, but it's hard as fuck to score on their goalie.  I had a sequence where the goalie was down for three goddamn shots and somehow kept it out.  Needless to say, the only time I've scored more than 3 was the only game I played where I allowed goals.

I gotta say, requiring us to play both games every time makes it a LOT tougher.  I won't even go into the Brazil match unless I at least tie my Germany game, which I've done a couple times now, but with no luck against the Brazilians.  Fucking bollocks.

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Finally got my motion pretty and filed. And finally got to put this thing in a little after work. Holy shit @BeaIank,  you werent kidding! This team is jacked. Tops on steroids! 

The team is so DAMN strong that I had no option to force back to back scores otherwise it would be too easy to max both Germany and Brazil with it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Game 1: 13-0

Game 2: 3-0

Two balls hit the post in the second game 1st half and they exploded this time. That shit is so frustrating.

Yeah, that's so goddamn annoying.  Funny thing, I was up 5-0 at the half and suddenly their goalie decided to play.  Some games it's impossible to score, and others the dude is a bloody sieve.

Anyway, challenge accepted.  Game on 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Jim McMahon was really good at drop kicking too, but unlike Flutie he never convinced his coaches to let him.

IIRC, the point wasn't even needed.  He just wanted to do something in his last game that would be remembered.  And whether he hit it or not, it totally would have been noteworthy.  But hitting it, that was cool.

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, challenge accepted.  Game on 🙂

Lol well that didnt take long. You set the bar insanely high and my time is pretty low, but ill get a few games in and see what I can do. Crazy scores though! @BeaIanksaid something about reaching the max. Have no idea what that would be with rng, endless choices, etc, but I was guessing it was around your 15. Match 2, 6-0 is crazy. Really nicely done man

7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Lol well that didnt take long. You set the bar insanely high and my time is pretty low, but ill get a few games in and see what I can do. Crazy scores though! @BeaIanksaid something about reaching the max. Have no idea what that would be with rng, endless choices, etc, but I was guessing it was around your 15. Match 2, 6-0 is crazy. Really nicely done man

I think I could actually top 15 against Germany if I try...I just don't know if I can top 6-0 against Brazil on top of that.  Funny enough, as I said before, it was 5-0 at half-time.  It could've been an even wider margin if the goalie didn't decide to actually play in the second half 😛

On 6/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, NESfiend said:

Game 1: 18-0

Game 2: 5-1

Total - 22 points

No exploded balls this time! Wolf move failed me with tons of guts to spare. Ayrton bicycle point blank. I peppered Arthur with shots. He was rolling

You dirty bastard.  I've been feeling sick, and was hoping you were done.  *sigh* Ah well, let's see if you can bring it now...

56 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

'Muricans don't like Soccer... 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much this.  Honestly, I had heard the game was awesome and still hadn't given it a shot because I can't stand soccer.  Now though, I'm glad I did.  It's a pretty solid game all around, and definitely better than I had expected going in.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:55 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

FUUUUUUCK!  @BeaIank you weren't kidding...I just played a perfect game against Germany, with a 9-0 win, but the score disappeared super quick!  It's literally a fraction of a second, and no way to view prior scores.  Brutal!  Ah well, now I just have to shoot for double digits 😛

EDIT: Might as well use this as my score post too:

20-0 + 5-0 = 25 POINTS

20220604_145042.jpg.531d1f3e003a1103c8b5b096bd5a497c.jpg

20220604_151348.jpg.af6974938769aae80d67c9c8c585964d.jpg

Okay, so the first thing - I didn't realize until after the first game that I forgot to bring up my nametag.  That said, it's quite obviously my setup, but if @BeaIank requires I suppose I'll have to redo the score.  That said, it took forever to get a score I was confident would hold up...even then, I took a slight step back in my game against Brazil, as the bastard goalie played unreal.  One sequence had me take 8 consecutive shots on his prone goalie and didn't score a goal...like how is that even possible?

Well that happened...I'm honestly stunned by this development 😮

Well, I'm pretty sure I've capped out my score against Germany, though I may still try for more.  The game against Brazil however...that was tricky.  I was up 3-1 at the half, but my goalie was pretty much depleted (he had 6 Guts remaining).  As such, I had to sub in Lucas, who while decent, simply doesn't match up to Eddie.  Had they not scored with 10 seconds remaining though, and if their goalie hadn't turned it on in the second half, it could've been a much more lopsided game...

There's definitely room for improvement here, as my first attempt had me at 9-0 against Germany with little effort, and I had two shots go off the post against Brazil.  There's definitely a skill gap between the two teams...not sure how Germany got as far into the tournament as they did being that easily dispatched 😛  Anyway, I'm really digging this game overall, which is surprising to me since I've never really cared for soccer.  Much like Tecmo NBA, I think I may actually play through this one at some point soon.  I did play the first three matches of the story mode to get a feel for the game, but it's pretty damn intuitive overall.  There are flaws for sure, but overall it's a pretty solid game.  Makes me wonder why there aren't more sports RPGs out there...

Lol 20-0!? I yield. You are good to move on to other things. The RNG would have to be near perfect for this, Id think. My RNG to get 18-0 was pretty good and I scored a goal with 0 seconds on the clock at the end of the first half. Very nicely done.

And, @BeaIank, this was an incredible setup that I know took real work. It is really a shame more people didnt play. I know how long a season takes to play and you had to lose A LOT to build a team this good. I appreciate it. If no one else does, hopefully thats something. Had a ball trying, but @the_wizard_666will reign supreme unless @Dr. Morbiswants to shit in his buddy's easter basket with a last second win. Or unless that @Krunchdude has something up his sleeve, which wouldnt surprise me

8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Had a ball trying, but @the_wizard_666will reign supreme unless @Dr. Morbiswants to shit in his buddy's easter basket with a last second win.

I have about 2% of the amount of free time Mike has in a week, but I'll see if I can increase my +11 performance with one or two more attempts.  But honestly, I can't see anyone breaking the top two with the way you two have been performing...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

Yeah, I definitely gave it my all.  I was honestly just hoping to match your 18 goals @NESfiend, as I thought that would be the cap.  I managed to score 10 in the first half though, so I figured 19 was a real possibility...to hit 20 though, that was insane, and I doubt I could duplicate it if I wanted to.  At that point, I figured I only needed 3 on Brazil, and managed 5, so I'm pretty happy.  Sure there's room for improvement against Brazil, but to string two great games together would take some doing for sure.  Unless @Krunch has a ringer of a score, or @0xDEAFC0DE has mastered the RNG factor, I think this one is in the bag at this point.  I did give @Dr. Morbis a few pointers that I've avoided posting (don't want to give away my tactics to everyone), but since he's mostly concerned with keeping ahead of @PII, I highly doubt he's going to put the effort in that I did to get 25 total points.  I'm honestly surprised I did...I thought I had it at 15, so thanks for pushing me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:
3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

'Muricans don't like Soccer... 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much this.  Honestly, I had heard the game was awesome and still hadn't given it a shot because I can't stand soccer.  Now though, I'm glad I did.  It's a pretty solid game all around, and definitely better than I had expected going in.

@Murray Any chance we could get a newspaper front page photo with headline: Canadian-'Murican can't stand Soccer either, ...till he met Tecmo Cup!

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2022 at 6:13 PM, PII said:

VS   D   10-0   /   VS  B  3-1       =      12 (Brazil scored right after my photo at 1:00)

Dude, I gotta give you props for your honesty there.  I'm sure it must've been tempting to pretend it didn't happen.  I'd do the same of course, but still, that's commendable.  Especially with you and @Dr. Morbis in such a tight race.

@Dr. Morbis Looks like you got some work to do 😉

• Like 1