IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO CUP SOCCER!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, PII said:

Yeah, can you believe that guy? -Puttin' in what it takes to post a big score, week after week instead of just snootchin' an easy 2nd place with minimal effort and a mediocre score, while everybody else is off on Holliday or Siesta or whatever?  That guy's got some nerve alright.

...Devilishly handsome fellow, though; I must say.

.....and modest.

Hah well its clearly been working we're all gonna need to step up 

• Agree 1

Maybe some part of my mind is still just stuck on last weeks Roadrunner contest but I feel like Brazil's Goalie should have an animation where he quickly builds a brick wall in front of the goal in like 2 seconds flat and then just leans confidently against his craftsmanship while the ball bounces right off of it..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Krunch had an unreal game against Brazil, but falling short of both of our Germany scores had him come in just shy of it.  Even if he could match the 20 goals I put in, the odds of doing both that and having 5+ goals against Brazil is pretty slim.  Not impossible, but not easy either.

Your score seems pretty untouchable. I just accepted an invite to get out for game 2 of the nba finals tonight, so Im officially done. In hind sight, I actualy only tried a total  5 or 6 times, so Im sure i could improve some if I had been able to keep trying.

But yeah, as I said before, 18-0 required some pretty damn good rng. 20-0 seems like itd be pretty hard to do without luck or a LOT of runs. Well earned win assuming no one snakes it from you, but Id be really surprised if they did

Congrats to all you 22+ pointers!  I have no idea how you're all keeping the ball away from the opposing team enough to do that.  This game is really cool and think I could really get into it sometime, but it sure would take some figuring on my part...

3 hours ago, PII said:

I don't know WHAT you're talking about. 😉 

Obviously it's because of his dedication to being the best he can be week in and week out 😛

3 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Your score seems pretty untouchable. I just accepted an invite to get out for game 2 of the nba finals tonight, so Im officially done. In hind sight, I actualy only tried a total  5 or 6 times, so Im sure i could improve some if I had been able to keep trying.

But yeah, as I said before, 18-0 required some pretty damn good rng. 20-0 seems like itd be pretty hard to do without luck or a LOT of runs. Well earned win assuming no one snakes it from you, but Id be really surprised if they did

It can't be that untouchable.  I mean, two guys came within spitting distance, and both did far better on the Brazil game than I did.  I honestly probably should've put some effort into improving too, seeing as I came so close to being beat again.

And yeah, 20-0 took me a couple hours to get.  And I was literally shooting every time I touched the ball, the instant I touched it.  Straight up RNG there.

2 minutes ago, PII said:

Congrats to all you 22+ pointers!  I have no idea how you're all keeping the ball away from the opposing team enough to do that.  This game is really cool and think I could really get into it sometime, but it sure would take some figuring on my part...

Yeah, the trick to the Germany game is to literally shoot every chance you get, regardless of field position.  The team is so broken that almost all the players can score from anywhere on the field.

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Just squeaked in to tie with a +25!!!

Nicely done!  And thanks, I'm actually thinking I have a real chance at the genre title with two wins so far, so not stealing points from me is greatly appreciated 🙂

8 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, the trick to the Germany game is to literally shoot every chance you get, regardless of field position.  The team is so broken that almost all the players can score from anywhere on the field.

Yeah, I mighta guessed.  I generally took it to center field cuz shooting before that seemed flukey, even with Robin who seemed to be the best at that..

Edited by PII

1 minute ago, PII said:

Yeah, I mighta guessed.  I generally took it to center field cuz shooting before that seemed flukey, even with Robin who seemed to be the best at that..

I was scoring with the nobody defensemen from my goal area.  Anyone but James had the shot skill to make it, though using special kicks would increase the odds of making it through multiple defenders.

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I was scoring with the nobody defensemen from my goal area.  Anyone but James had the shot skill to make it, though using special kicks would increase the odds of making it through multiple defenders.

Noted:  When it's time to plunder, do so in the most flagrant manner possible.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, once I knew that the strategy was to just take a shot the second you got the ball, regardless of where you are on field, that kind of killed the fun for me.  I'm really hoping that we were only able to do that because our team with this password was so ridiculously powerful, because if it's like that normally from the start of a new game, then this game is straight up broken.  I think the game play of using strategy to know when and where to dribble, when to pass, and when to shoot and whatnot is fun and interesting, but for this contest it was just shoot as fast as you can and pray to the RNG Gods.  This game is definitely moving up my queue of games to try and beat legit now that I've had a taste of it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I was assuming it was only the special shots that would go every time, so I had to take that liitle time to get it to someone with them sometimes. But majority of them have a special, so it wasnt very gamechanging. 

Somehow by accident as a kid, I took a Roger jet shot from inside my teams box and it went. I thought that was unique to that shot by nature of the jet shot video imagery of it shooting downfield like a bullet. And maybe it is at normal relative strength against your opponent.

Within a few games I thought, maybe this team is so good all the special shots will go from anywhere. And they did. Never even occurred to me to just try 'shot' options

1 minute ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm really hoping that we were only able to do that because our team with this password was so ridiculously powerful, because if it's like that normally from the start of a new game, then this game is straight up broken.  

It is def only because our team was so jacked. Try beating the game without losing once. Its fucking hard and Im convinced the only way to do it is tie Brazil 0-0 and get lucky in the coinflip shootout. 

When you lose, your players all gain strength. And you go back a game, so you also get another full games experience.  You cant score on brazil without losing in my experience. Thats why I commended beas effort. This took a LOT of losing in a game that already takes hours and hours to beat

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

It is def only because our team was so jacked. Try beating the game without losing once. Its fucking hard and Im convinced the only way to do it is tie Brazil 0-0 and get lucky in the coinflip shootout. 

When you lose, your players all gain strength. And you go back a game, so you also get another full games experience.  You cant score on brazil without losing in my experience. Thats why I commended beas effort. This took a LOT of losing in a game that already takes hours and hours to beat

I'm glad to hear that because the first game I played I was going to the "pass" option to see where opponents were on the field, then cancelling out and dribbling into open space to move the ball up the field, and then looking for teammates to pass to and trying to set up really good crosses for headers and bicycle kicks in close to the net, and all that sort of stuff... in short, I was really having fun with the strategy element.  Then I found out you could score from anywhere with this team, and it got really repetitive and boring really fast.  So I'm excited to hear that you actually have to play the way they intended when you start fresh... 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I wonder what the tie-breaker will be...  Most goals scored?  Fewest goals allowed?  Either of those for just the Brazil game???

Do we need a tie breaker?  I thought it was just +20 points for the tied participants and the next one gets the third place total.  But who knows.  I would win the most points (single game), but we both pitched a pair of shutouts, so fewest goals wouldn't work.

Anyway, playing from scratch is a MUCH different beast.  Shooting from anywhere outside the box is a crapshoot at best, though every game your players gain experience behind the scenes, so they do get better and better each game, incrementally.  Losing sets you back a match or two, but otherwise doesn't hurt too much, so you just keep playing until you are good enough to progress.  I'm currently alternating between this and Tecmo NBA for my personal list, as they're both super fun to knock out a few games at a time and have long grinds ahead.  It's weird to be playing two sports games, but this feels more like an RPG than a sports title, so it works for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

She usually spells out what the tie-breaker will be in the rules section, but she didn't for this week, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what she decides...

If it isn't spelled out, usually that means those two each get first place points and I get third place points

• Haha 1

@Dr. Morbis @the_wizard_666There's precedent for general tiebreakers without game-specific tiebreak conditions -- for shared placements you split the points that in this case would exist for 1st plus 2nd so, 20 +16 = 36 so me and Wiz would get 18 each.  So it's kinda like a docked victory.  (3rd would get just get normal 3rd).  That's my prediction for what will happen anyway.  20 each would be great of course 🤪 Hopefully it stays as a shared victory since nothing was outlined, and there was definitely tying potential, even early on today I was sitting one point underneath at +24 and still trying.

I really enjoyed this one- great job with the rule design @BeaIank!!   Jumping in really strong right away- felt like a total breath of fresh air cause I've tried to play from scratch and it was nothing like this.  I was laughing my ass off especially early on when I was seeing all the crazy stuff happening.  Like when the ball hits the post and deflates???  Bouncing a shot all the way from the back off 3 or 4 opponents and then the ball goes in??  Your goalie can turn into a wolf??  Or the trippy Acrobat fever dream special that Paolo can do under the right conditions??

I didn't realize til I read the banter that this required prepping the OP team, they were really good, not just Damon/Robin but having Simon and Roger with their specials in the back tied my strat together totally.  Just worked on many levels and was balanced cause I did lots of attempts & once I was getting over 20 consistently, I was hitting 16-0 on Germany many times, got a few 24's of varying combinations, and generally coming out the same on Brazil (10 was my best but that was paired with a 14, second last attempt).

Edited by Krunch
  • Like 2