IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO CUP SOCCER!

BeaIank

@NESfiend your score is killer too.  I have no tricks up my sleeve so you're safe.  About to try another run regardless.  @PII has just been running away with it lately, and I've had a bad start, gotta keep him on his toes

Update: Another victory, did great against Germany and +1 against Brazil, but Eddie let in his first goal... should've transformed into a wolf, obviously.  I should have given Damon more energy in the halftime but I didnt really know what it was, think I could squeaked a few more in on Brazil, but giving Robin the energy got first goal in like a minute.  The runs are short and sweet like damn I cant believe I already did two

Edited by Krunch
  • Thanks 1

Awesome job @Krunch 🙂  A couple small pointers that don't really do much overall but can help.  First, sub out James from the roster for Brook.  The reason is that for some reason James is super weak compared to the rest of the starters.  Brook by comparison is incredible.  At the half, if Damon is low, use Hans as the replacement, as he's also high enough statistically to not suck nuts.  The rest of the players are meh, so not really worth using unless the option is a dead player.  The reason you use Brook in place of James is simply because his defensive stats are better than Hans' stats, so even though his passing and dribbling is slightly lower than Hans, since James is a DF, those stats aren't nearly as big an issue as his tackling and cutting skills, which are much better than Hans' stats.  But yeah, for how little James/Brook is a factor for me when I played, it wasn't a huge deal, but even one or two possessions would make it worth the swap IMO.  Also, unless Eddie is completely beat, don't sub him out at all.  Neither of the other goalies are worth using, so don't waste time on them.  In all the games I played, I swapped him once, and only because Brazil had a huge burst of offence in the first half and he was completely drained.  His Wolf move is the only thing keeping the ball out on most shots.

1 hour ago, Krunch said:

@NESfiend your score is killer too.  I have no tricks up my sleeve so you're safe.  About to try another run regardless.  @PII has just been running away with it lately, and I've had a bad start, gotta keep him on his toes

Update: Another victory, did great against Germany and +1 against Brazil, but Eddie let in his first goal... should've transformed into a wolf, obviously.  I should have given Damon more energy in the halftime but I didnt really know what it was, think I could squeaked a few more in on Brazil, but giving Robin the energy got first goal in like a minute.  The runs are short and sweet like damn I cant believe I already did two

What do you mean by giving energy at halftime? I didnt know you could do that, and from the looks of the tips in wiz post, doesn't look like he did either. 

If you could reup damon at halftime, could actually use the blast shot. I always used howling to save on energy

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

What do you mean by giving energy at halftime? I didnt know you could do that, and from the looks of the tips in wiz post, doesn't look like he did either. 

If you could reup damon at halftime, could actually use the blast shot. I always used howling to save on energy

Seems like after the halftime menu when you are prompted to pick a character I thought it gave them more guts - do all characters get guts boost at half time?  Anyway I keep running out energy with Damon after swapping his position a bit so he has less solo time but still using the Blasts in the 2nd round and it seems worth it.  Uhh... also I got a +24

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Awesome job @Krunch 🙂  A couple small pointers that don't really do much overall but can help.  First, sub out James from the roster for Brook.  The reason is that for some reason James is super weak compared to the rest of the starters.  Brook by comparison is incredible.  At the half, if Damon is low, use Hans as the replacement, as he's also high enough statistically to not suck nuts.  The rest of the players are meh, so not really worth using unless the option is a dead player.  The reason you use Brook in place of James is simply because his defensive stats are better than Hans' stats, so even though his passing and dribbling is slightly lower than Hans, since James is a DF, those stats aren't nearly as big an issue as his tackling and cutting skills, which are much better than Hans' stats.  But yeah, for how little James/Brook is a factor for me when I played, it wasn't a huge deal, but even one or two possessions would make it worth the swap IMO.  Also, unless Eddie is completely beat, don't sub him out at all.  Neither of the other goalies are worth using, so don't waste time on them.  In all the games I played, I swapped him once, and only because Brazil had a huge burst of offence in the first half and he was completely drained.  His Wolf move is the only thing keeping the ball out on most shots.

Thanks for this I was actually just swapping out James before trying another but this at least gives a clearer picture 'bout who's who and what's what

2 minutes ago, Krunch said:

do all characters get guts boost at half time? 

Uhh... also I got a +24

Yes, they all get a boost, but it doesnt reset back to pregame status. 

And that score is insane. Im headed to the office and meeting fam at the pool after. Wish I could grab a run or two. May be able to get a couple more tonight after bedtimes since its so short. 

5 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Seems like after the halftime menu when you are prompted to pick a character I thought it gave them more guts - do all characters get guts boost at half time?  Anyway I keep running out energy with Damon after swapping his position a bit so he has less solo time but still using the Blasts in the 2nd round and it seems worth it.  Uhh... also I got a +24

Damn dude, I haven't been able to get more than 6 against Brazil.  Their goalie is fucking unreal!

But yeah, they get around 300 guts back at half time for all players.  I try to spread the shots out as much as possible because of this - you don't want to use up all of one guy's specials and then have to play keep away the rest of the game.  Some guys also have abilities only when receiving the pass, so you'd have to get the ball to them while in the crease for their special shots to happen.  I'll leave it to you to find them, but I found their shots tended to hit posts/deflate the ball more often than scoring, but that could just be my own luck.

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yes, they all get a boost, but it doesnt reset back to pregame status. 

And that score is insane. Im headed to the office and meeting fam at the pool after. Wish I could grab a run or two. May be able to get a couple more tonight after bedtimes since its so short. 

On the plus side, I think anything above 20 is just hard to replicate with the rules as is.  Since we have to play both games for a submission, you'd have to have two killer games consecutively to get there.  @Krunch had an unreal game against Brazil, but falling short of both of our Germany scores had him come in just shy of it.  Even if he could match the 20 goals I put in, the odds of doing both that and having 5+ goals against Brazil is pretty slim.  Not impossible, but not easy either.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Damn dude, I haven't been able to get more than 6 against Brazil.  Their goalie is fucking unreal!

But yeah, they get around 300 guts back at half time for all players.  I try to spread the shots out as much as possible because of this - you don't want to use up all of one guy's specials and then have to play keep away the rest of the game.  Some guys also have abilities only when receiving the pass, so you'd have to get the ball to them while in the crease for their special shots to happen.  I'll leave it to you to find them, but I found their shots tended to hit posts/deflate the ball more often than scoring, but that could just be my own luck.

Thanks.  I've been able to hold my own against Brazil, switching some of the positions of players around, ironically my performance against Germany is dropping, so just gonna go back to basics for that.  Just got a 21 but no need to post

16 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Thanks.  I've been able to hold my own against Brazil, switching some of the positions of players around, ironically my performance against Germany is dropping, so just gonna go back to basics for that.  Just got a 21 but no need to post

Yeah, kinda pointless to post a downgrade 😛  I'm starting to think I should make another run though, just in case...you're gonna push me down to the wire eh 😛

3 hours ago, Krunch said:

@PII has just been running away with it lately, and I've had a bad start, gotta keep him on his toes

Yeah, can you believe that guy? -Puttin' in what it takes to post a big score, week after week instead of just snootchin' an easy 2nd place with minimal effort and a mediocre score, while everybody else is off on Holliday or Siesta or whatever?  That guy's got some nerve alright.

...Devilishly handsome fellow, though; I must say.

.....and modest.

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, kinda pointless to post a downgrade 😛  I'm starting to think I should make another run though, just in case...you're gonna push me down to the wire eh 😛

As you can see by my avatar change, yes.  Although it's kinda been a struggle, only exceeded 20 points total twice now.  I need a great first round

4 minutes ago, Krunch said:

As you can see by my avatar change, yes.  Although it's kinda been a struggle, only exceeded 20 points total twice now.  I need a great first round

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that I can take out Germany with at least 18 points consistently, but Brazil...that's about the only place I could see an improvement being made, and there just ain't enough room for me to be confident that I can do it.

Events Team · Posted

It having to be back to back games makes it so much harder to max Germany then keep trying to max Brazil, which is why I decided for that.
Next time it comes around we can try and change that to see how crazy the scores will be. Three 20+ goals scores is already insane.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

It having to be back to back games makes it so much harder to max Germany then keep trying to max Brazil, which is why I decided for that.
Next time it comes around we can try and change that to see how crazy the scores will be. Three 20+ goals scores is already insane.

20 goals against Germany alone was insane.  I'm honestly not sure I could possibly replicate that if I tried.  That was some sheer perfection in the RNG that I doubt is repeatable.

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

Yeah, it is pretty insane. But I have this feeling it is doable to beat it if one can do both games separated.

Oh absolutely.  I'd be playing the crap out of Brazil right now.  I had one half where I got 5-0.  If the RNG was more favourable in the second half, I would've added more than just the one that I did.  And having played all week, I could probably push it right up to 10 if I didn't have to also maintain the score against the Germans.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Yeah this is a great element of this contest it totally ups the pressure/enjoyment level, I've only pulled a 16 against Germany once, and a 14, and several 13s.  Still lots of time