Jump to content
IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - TECMO CUP SOCCER!


BeaIank
 Share

Recommended Posts

Events Team · Posted

It is time for FOOTBALL! REAL FOOTBALL, played with feet with a round ball, unlike a certain other poorly named sports that doesn't involve a ball nor is played with feet.

It is time for TECMO CUP SOCCER! A sort of RPG football game based on the long lived anime Captain Tsubasa, but localised to the USA!

The rules for this week are as follow:

  • Use the password provided in the screenshot below
  • Beat Germany and Brazil
  • Post the pictures of the score differential for the two games
  • The one with the highest goal differential between both games takes the win
  • You have very little time to take your picture after the whistle blow. I suggest that you take the picture at the last minute of the game, or if you posses the ball, press the action button to "pause" the game and take your picture.
  • Participation: Beat Germany and Brazil (should be entirely too easy with the password provided)
  • Genre: Sports

Password:

image.png.b8b48b590d4925ebca80a37656f6542e.png

The contest ends Sunday, 06/05/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

I've never played this game before in my life...

SCORE EDIT:

His name is Robin Field.  "I am better than my father."
Vs Germany: 8-0
Vs Brazil: 3-0

Goal Differential = +11

SCORE EDIT #2:

Vs Germany 16-0
Vs Brazil 9-2

Goal Differential = 23

 

 

Tecmo-3.jpg

Tecmo-4.jpg

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

This game is so AWESOME!!!!!!! And this format is perfect if you dont have hours to kill. Everybody should try to find time to dick around with this.  

I have yet another daunting week, but it frees up some toward thurs and fri. Ill get a semi respectable score in this weekend!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

This game is so AWESOME!!!!!!! And this format is perfect if you dont have hours to kill. Everybody should try to find time to dick around with this.  

I have yet another daunting week, but it frees up some toward thurs and fri. Ill get a semi respectable score in this weekend!

Yeah, a fun run should take less than 30 minutes with these rules. I gave you all a REALLY OP team to play with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Posted (edited)

VS   D   10-0   /   VS  B  3-1       =      12 (Brazil scored right after my photo at 1:00)

VS DEU 7-1   /   VS BRA 2-1      =      7

Pretty Coo!

 

 

D 10.png

B 2.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

It is time for FOOTBALL! REAL FOOTBALL, played with feet with a round ball, unlike a certain other poorly named sports that doesn't involve a ball nor is played with feet.

Well there is rugby which is sort of like American football except they don't stop for a rest after every play and they don't full kevlar body armor like nancies! 😄 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
13 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well there is rugby which is sort of like American football except they don't stop for a rest after every play and they don't full kevlar body armor like nancies! 😄 

Concussions and Severe Hemorrhaging are sssSSEXXXY!

Rugby.png

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Never understood why its considered a 'bad game' other than gamers' standards for sports games are generallly brutal in general. 

Fine by me, I never found a manual but I've had this game for some time got the cart and box separately for $3 each.  And it being a sports game probably helped with that.  I find it to be a unique blend of concepts, sports and rpg-style decison making, I'm sure it's been done elsewhere, but this has still gotta be among the earliest examples.  I'm surprised anyone's even out there trashing it lol i understand trashing a big title like Blades of Steel for being weak but idk

  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

FUUUUUUCK!  @BeaIank you weren't kidding...I just played a perfect game against Germany, with a 9-0 win, but the score disappeared super quick!  It's literally a fraction of a second, and no way to view prior scores.  Brutal!  Ah well, now I just have to shoot for double digits 😛

EDIT: Might as well use this as my score post too:

20-0 + 5-0 = 25 POINTS

20220604_145042.jpg.531d1f3e003a1103c8b5b096bd5a497c.jpg

20220604_151348.jpg.af6974938769aae80d67c9c8c585964d.jpg

Okay, so the first thing - I didn't realize until after the first game that I forgot to bring up my nametag.  That said, it's quite obviously my setup, but if @BeaIank requires I suppose I'll have to redo the score.  That said, it took forever to get a score I was confident would hold up...even then, I took a slight step back in my game against Brazil, as the bastard goalie played unreal.  One sequence had me take 8 consecutive shots on his prone goalie and didn't score a goal...like how is that even possible?

Well that happened...I'm honestly stunned by this development 😮

Well, I'm pretty sure I've capped out my score against Germany, though I may still try for more.  The game against Brazil however...that was tricky.  I was up 3-1 at the half, but my goalie was pretty much depleted (he had 6 Guts remaining).  As such, I had to sub in Lucas, who while decent, simply doesn't match up to Eddie.  Had they not scored with 10 seconds remaining though, and if their goalie hadn't turned it on in the second half, it could've been a much more lopsided game...

There's definitely room for improvement here, as my first attempt had me at 9-0 against Germany with little effort, and I had two shots go off the post against Brazil.  There's definitely a skill gap between the two teams...not sure how Germany got as far into the tournament as they did being that easily dispatched 😛  Anyway, I'm really digging this game overall, which is surprising to me since I've never really cared for soccer.  Much like Tecmo NBA, I think I may actually play through this one at some point soon.  I did play the first three matches of the story mode to get a feel for the game, but it's pretty damn intuitive overall.  There are flaws for sure, but overall it's a pretty solid game.  Makes me wonder why there aren't more sports RPGs out there...

Edited by the_wizard_666
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick question @BeaIank - do both games have to be done back to back or can we improve each game individually?  I ask because I just improved my score against Germany, and while I intend to attempt to improve on my score vs Brazil, I want to know if I can post one score without the other.  It may not make a difference on this attempt, but I want to make sure before it becomes one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BeaIank said:

They have to be done back to back.

Damn...ah well, pretty sure I can at least match my 10 points against Germany, it's just Brazil that's a crapshoot.  Thanks for the ruling though, as it would definitely have mattered for my next run 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Suddenly every screenshot I need to post is too big to be posted in a thread at 500 - 600 kb generally.  I guess this one is an exception because its only 86kb.  I looked at a bunch of pics I've posted in the past and they are almost always at least 500 - 600 kb and sometimes well over a megabyte and they all posted just fine.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I know the attachment bar specifically says: Max total size: 235.64 kB.  Did it change recently?  If not, why did all these too large pics posted in the past work out?  Does this make sense to anyone else out there?

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 2.22.21 PM.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, PII said:

Suddenly every screenshot I need to post is too big to be posted in a thread at 500 - 600 kb generally.  I guess this one is an exception because its only 86kb.  I looked at a bunch of pics I've posted in the past and they are almost always at least 500 - 600 kb and sometimes well over a megabyte and they all posted just fine.  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I know the attachment bar specifically says: Max total size: 235.64 kB.  Did it change recently?  If not, why did all these too large pics posted in the past work out?  Does this make sense to anyone else out there?

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 2.22.21 PM.png

Do you have a bunch of pics elsewhere on here?  I think there may be a storage limit but @Gloveswould know for sure.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
On 5/29/2022 at 8:37 PM, Estil said:

Well there is rugby which is sort of like American football except they don't stop for a rest after every play and they don't full kevlar body armor like nancies! 😄 

Rugby is nothing like American football-

  • no forward passes
  • no blocking
  • it's called a pitch, not a field
  • you actually have to touch the ball down in the zone for the try to count
  • metered lines, not yards
  • no toe cleats allowed
  • your shorts have pockets
  • your jersey has a collar, like a gentleman
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Do you have a bunch of pics elsewhere on here?  I think there may be a storage limit but @Gloveswould know for sure.

@PII it's possible you've run out of storage space. I'll take a look next time I'm at my computer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

@PII it's possible you've run out of storage space. I'll take a look next time I'm at my computer. 

I think that must be it.  I just deleted a few pics from old posts and now I'm able to post new pics again...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
16 minutes ago, PII said:

I think that must be it.  I just deleted a few pics from old posts and now I'm able to post new pics again...

In that case the most long term solutions are either subscribing for more space, or using an external service like imgur. 

I've also been looking (slowly) at the monthly costs of the site and considering boosting the limits across the board. I have to find the balance between allowing a lot of storage for all, and still having subscriptions actually have benefits. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
43 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Rugby is nothing like American football-

  • no forward passes
  • no blocking
  • it's called a pitch, not a field
  • you actually have to touch the ball down in the zone for the try to count
  • metered lines, not yards
  • no toe cleats allowed
  • your shorts have pockets
  • your jersey has a collar, like a gentleman

I said sort of!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Finally got my motion pretty and filed. And finally got to put this thing in a little after work. Holy shit @BeaIank,  you werent kidding! This team is jacked. Tops on steroids! 

Didnt get a pic of game 1 but won 8-0.  Up 5-1 early second half game 2. Bedtime to deal with. Will start fresh after game 1 of nba finals if I can stay awake. So much fun. Wish I could have been on it all week

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The topic was unpinned

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...