36 members have voted

1. 1. Mint or First-Print?

• Mint and Second-Print
    • First-Print and Near Mint

A hypothetical thread for the sake of a discussion:

If there are 2 games of the same nature (both CIB or both sealed), and:

- one is a first-print and is near mint

- one is a second-print and is mint

Both in the above are of similar value. Which one would you prefer?

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I would take first print or possibly the rarer print.

If you don't want first print, then that means you'd be happier with a better condition Super Mario Odyssey rather than a Super Mario World. I mean, release date is irrelevant to you, right?

You’re making a rather weak analogy here. Your reference was in relation to different games from different eras. My reference was in relation to the same game, just a slightly later production timeline.

• Like 1

I'm firmly on side of getting the thing/version I actually want before worrying about condition. I don't want the shiniest silver or bronze medal just cause finding a shiny gold medal is hard. I'll take the gold medal.

FWIW, if you're speculating the high end world has shown multiple times they'd rather own a gem mint turd than a just-decent rare/desirable game, so if I was putting money into it, it would be the gem mintest crap regardless of what it is. Case in point yesterday...

qmZwhH8.png

PxcYUq0.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm firmly on side of getting the thing/version I actually want before worrying about condition. I don't want the shiniest silver or bronze medal just cause finding a shiny gold medal is hard. I'll take the gold medal.

FWIW, if you're speculating the high end world has shown multiple times they'd rather own a gem mint turd than a just-decent rare/desirable game, so if I was putting money into it, it would be the gem mintest crap regardless of what it is. Case in point yesterday...

qmZwhH8.png

PxcYUq0.png

Jesus, makes me wish I had the money for that Hot Slots.  I'd crack that case so fast...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

^ Ooooh that could be seen as sexual harassment. 😉

Seriously though, first, second, 10th...as long as it isn't re-done, cheapened up, and otherwise penny pinched for mass market push I could not care less.  And by that I mean the annoying gold medals of Nintendo Player's choice with cheap stickers and colorless manuals, the green eyesore border and ghetto print quality disc ink/manuals of PS1, etc...you get the idea.

Ok first of all, the difference between mint and near mint is nearly indistinguishable and sometimes on the scale of statistical error. So let's make it a meaningful question and say good 1st print vs mint later print. 

For me, in games I don't really care. As long as it's the original art and without later added banners like Player's Choice, and includes any supplemental material that it should, I'm happy. I could go either way. In books and comics however, edition does matter to me. Although that is as much about, again, retaining the original or preferred art, and having matching sets when it comes to series. On the other hand, sometimes I want a collected trade paperback instead of individual issues / volumes, or gamewise some other collection, but that's usually always for convenience rather than some higher-minded preference. 

• Like 1

Depends on the situation. If it's a print that impacts the cover art with a banner like Player's Choice, I would avoid it and take the 'near-mint' 1st print. If the only difference is a circle vs. oval seal or a box missing a 'TM' or something, I couldn't care less as that's all been hyped by WATA. I actually prefer later runs for several NES titles, like Castlevania, because they have more optimized performance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Again Castlevania, what's the deal seeing that knocked twice in like 24hours now.  Is there like some obvious problems or censoring issues with like the 5screw early run vs the 3 screw standard longer run version of the game?

It crashes pretty consistently if you have double/triple special item, especially at the end of the grim reaper level and during that boss fight with lots of sprites on the screen... very annoying. Maybe the only game I've gone out of my way to upgrade to a revised print since it's one of my favourites.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Link said:
7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Again Castlevania, what's the deal seeing that knocked twice in like 24hours now.  Is there like some obvious problems or censoring issues with like the 5screw early run vs the 3 screw standard longer run version of the game?

https://tcrf.net/Bugs:Castlevania_(NES)

Just noticed, the "No music" should be under "all versions" (I think.)  I was playing Castlevania last night (3-screw, Rev-A) and I got the "no music" until I reached the Vampire Bat at the end of stage 1. 

I'm getting curious what I have now you all...

See I have had my original copy since the 1980s, and a few years ago I got this amazing CIB copy out of a store here, while it was a really good deal, I don't tend to buy doubles but it was in great shape I wanted to shadowbox it.  It's not the same version at least as far as the screw variant of it goes.

Kind of curious what version of what each of them are now.