IGNORED

WATA Finally Getting Sued?

9 minutes ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

do you think 9.8 is better than 90

No, I prefer integers, so by default 90 is better than 9.8

However, my favorite number is 2520.

It's divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and additionally it's divisible by other good numbers like 12, 14, 15, 18, 20, 21, 24, 28, 30, 35, 36, 40, 42, 45, 56, 60, 63, 70, 72, 84, 90, 105, 120, 126, 140, 168, 180, 210, 252, 280, 315, 360, 420, 504, 630, 840, 1260, and of course itself - 2520.

All things that you want to measure should be based off of 2520 units...but sigh we don't live in such a world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

u know i was going to go into a big paragraph about those details but you're just going to ding and microflap everything

I'm sure that'll happen in the lawsuit too. and it'll get thrown out or minimized or the prezident will pardon everyone

real collectors know this one is better than the 9.8 mario 1.56

IMG_20100419_155551.jpg.19cd0efbdd468b8c0befa6716aef8323.jpg

and when we both take the skirts off and make valuations with the eyes all the collectors will prefer this one

not because u can directly tell but because none of the other 90s. --- i mean 0 (zero, none, nada, not 1) 90s i have ever seen--- have holes, waterstains and damage like this tomb raider 9.8 does. many other examples too

so it's the reputation of VGA 90 that makes this one so much better than the 9.8 that sold for millions. not really the particulars of the individual games themselves. im confident any collector that values condition will know it too

no amount of money is going to fix that problem

sadfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg.png

gsdfgsdfg.png

asdfasdfasdfasdfadf.png

I think a WATA 9.8 A++ is the rough equivalent of a VGA90. I agree with you that there shouldn’t be much discrepancies in the prices between the 2 graded companies with the high end condition, yet the difference is > $1 million dollars in the case of the Mario 64 9.8 A++? Which doesn’t make any sense in a collecting/investing logic.  

Though there are separate issues going on:

- how sus are the overall HA bidders with the 6-7 figure bids? Are they all legit buyers?

- how sus are the associations between WATA and HA and how much was it smart marketing versus illegal market manipulation and outright lies?

12 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think a WATA 9.8 A++ is the rough equivalent of a VGA90. I agree with you that there shouldn’t be much discrepancies in the prices between the 2 graded companies with the high end condition, yet the difference is > $1 million dollars in the case of the Mario 64 9.8 A++? Which doesn’t make any sense in a collecting/investing logic.  

Though there are separate issues going on:

- how sus are the overall HA bidders with the 6-7 figure bids? Are they all legit buyers?

- how sus are the associations between WATA and HA and how much was it smart marketing versus illegal market manipulation and outright lies?

ya i assume the 90 would sell for around 5k at auction but it doesnt have any offers

most of the collectors have a decent copy or would just wait for one to come up under 1k

Edited by CIB_Wholesale

31 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I dunno what we're talking about now but I just want to argue. Counterpoint: This VGA 90 from 2 weeks ago is ugly afff

IvHQgmv.jpg

There’s a chance some of those scratches are on the acrylic casing. Not always easy to tell on the pics. It’s very hard to get a VGA90 on a 90s era disc-based game from my personal experience with VGA. Even for PS2 games (early 2000s) that I’ve sent for grading, any scratches on the seal I’ve never got a 90 grade.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

The luck factor is actually convincing a man in his position that "There's gold in them thar hills". Everyone has a million dollar idea, but few people ever get an audience that can back them up.

Also, prior to the Karl Jobst expose, I've never heard of Jim Halperin. I guess I would do some background research if I was entering a big deal with someone too, but no one is perfect and it's hard to say no to someone who can make your dreams come true, especially at Deniz's age at the time.

I'm not trying to defend Deniz either here, I have some harsh criticisms for him abandoning the community, but I GET IT. He sacrificed his hobby for business, and he had to "put his childish things away".

I joined NA in the very latter years so don’t know much about Deniz. I do remember a thread where he was actively seeking feedback and questions to potential consumers on his new company. It was marketed as a grading company something of the motto “for the collectors and with transparency”, hinting that VGA wasn’t being transparent about their business. 

Somewhere along the journey, the collectors who he was trying to engage, isn’t the same group of collectors who WATA is focusing on since HA. The transparency issues have been even murkier than that of VGA, and it seems he’s forgotten the initial motto or there was some BS in the initial promotion back on NA.

Administrator · Posted
50 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

It's divisible by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, and additionally it's divisible by other good numbers like 12, 14, 15, 18, 20, 21, 24, 28, 30, 35, 36, 40, 42, 45, 56, 60, 63, 70, 72, 84, 90, 105, 120, 126, 140, 168, 180, 210, 252, 280, 315, 360, 420, 504, 630, 840, 1260, and of course itself - 2520.

All things that you want to measure should be based off of 2520 units...but sigh we don't live in such a world.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

u know i was going to go into a big paragraph about those details but you're just going to ding and microflap everything

I'm sure that'll happen in the lawsuit too. and it'll get thrown out or minimized or the prezident will pardon everyone

real collectors know this one is better than the 9.8 mario 1.56

IMG_20100419_155551.jpg.19cd0efbdd468b8c0befa6716aef8323.jpg

and when we both take the skirts off and make valuations with the eyes all the collectors will prefer this one

not because u can directly tell but because none of the other 90s. --- i mean 0 (zero, none, nada, not 1) 90s i have ever seen--- have holes, waterstains and damage like this tomb raider 9.8 does. many other examples too

so it's the reputation of VGA 90 that makes this one so much better than the 9.8 that sold for millions. not really the particulars of the individual games themselves. im confident any collector that values condition will know it too

no amount of money is going to fix that problem

sadfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfgsdfg.png

gsdfgsdfg.png

asdfasdfasdfasdfadf.png

Good post, but it needs more fruit flies!

On 11/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, CIB_Wholesale said:

do you think 9.8 is better than 90

The Mario 64 9.8 was a VGA 90+ cross 🙂

I will say this. For whatever reason, VGA in the past was lenient on their N64 games when it came to conditions of the box. Their grades for N64 are very seal-heavy. It's not really that way with other cardboard consoles, but for some reason it is with N64. I think there is so much air in those boxes they decided to be a bit more lenient on the box and focus primarily on the seal, more like modern games. However, once you get to 90-90+ or so, the box had to be really nice as well. It's really in the 85+ that you'd see some noticeable box damage. 

Look at this one, for example, that sold tonight. Pretty bad visible box damage on the front left top corner, but the seal is basically perfect as it's uncirculated:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - VGA 85+ NM+ Uncirculated | Lot #28082 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

With NES, though, an 85+ the box is more often than not going to cross over to the higher end of the 9.2 to 9.8 range. Most of mine were 9.6 I'd say, and the seal would almost always be A+ or better. 

Edited by ExplodedHamster

On 11/2/2023 at 2:24 PM, ThePhleo said:

That's nice, but forty is the only number in the English language that is spelled in alphabetical order. What do you think of that?

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The Mario 64 9.8 was a VGA 90+ cross 🙂

I will say this. For whatever reason, VGA in the past was lenient on their N64 games when it came to conditions of the box. Their grades for N64 are very seal-heavy. It's not really that way with other cardboard consoles, but for some reason it is with N64. I think there is so much air in those boxes they decided to be a bit more lenient on the box and focus primarily on the seal, more like modern games. However, once you get to 90-90+ or so, the box had to be really nice as well. It's really in the 85+ that you'd see some noticeable box damage. 

Look at this one, for example, that sold tonight. Pretty bad visible box damage on the front left top corner, but the seal is basically perfect as it's uncirculated:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - VGA 85+ NM+ Uncirculated | Lot #28082 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

With NES, though, an 85+ the box is more often than not going to cross over to the higher end of the 9.2 to 9.8 range. Most of mine were 9.6 I'd say, and the seal would almost always be A+ or better. 

bro i have 0 offers of all time since i ever got it

Edited by CIB_Wholesale
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Oof. Every time we hear more about this case, it gets worse and worse!

Turns out, that original 100 grand Mario "sale" that kicked off the grading hype wasn't even a proper sale. Bronty kept an interest in the game, and apparently in addition to the 3 publicly known "buyers" there was ANOTHER "buyer" Mark Haspil one of the founders of WATA itself.

Complete scam, top to bottom.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

42 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Oof. Every time we hear more about this case, it gets worse and worse!

Turns out, that original 100 grand Mario "sale" that kicked off the grading hype wasn't even a proper sale. Bronty kept an interest in the game, and apparently in addition to the 3 publicly known "buyers" there was ANOTHER "buyer" Mark Haspil one of the founders of WATA itself.

Complete scam, top to bottom.

I get all my gaming news come the CUPodcast, so it would be interesting to see and hear what the defenders of WATA has to say about this. 

And weren’t all the “buyers” connected to WATA in some way.

Edited by final fight cd
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

I get all my gaming news come the CUPodcast, so it would be interesting to see and hear what the defenders of WATA has to say about this. 

And weren’t all the “buyers” connected to WATA in some way.

For people who haven't or don't want to watch the video, it should be noted that Pat and Ian aren't just spitballing here, they are reading DIRECTLY from court documents submitted by the claimants. The information revealed here was part of the sworn deposition of Dennis Kahn himself.

• Like 1

It’s really time to just dole out punishment and compensation and start putting this whole mess behind us. It does make me sad that people who I thought were generally interested in the hobby and would treat it with respect ended up being a part of it in the end. Bronty and KThrower….disappointing 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s really time to just dole out punishment and compensation and start putting this whole mess behind us. It does make me sad that people who I thought were generally interested in the hobby and would treat it with respect ended up being a part of it in the end. Bronty and KThrower….disappointing 

i think this is funny...
image.png.6368fe9faf7749c5253045a7cf976691.png

like, how scummy can this get? as you said, very disappointing. 

and i didn't realize the whole time line of events: kahn states game is worth 100k.  game then "sells" for 100k.  shortly after the "sale", kahn appears on pawn stars and estimates the game to be 10 times the original selling price. like, what?!?! 🤣 

but let's be real here: will anybody stop submitting games to WATA? i'm gonna say no. 

Edited by final fight cd

18 minutes ago, final fight cd said:

i think this is funny...
image.png.6368fe9faf7749c5253045a7cf976691.png

like, how scummy can this get? as you said, very disappointing. 

and i didn't realize the whole time line of events: kahn states game is worth 100k.  game then "sells" for 100k.  shortly after the "sale", kahn appears on pawn stars and estimates the game to be 10 times the original selling price. like, what?!?! 🤣 

but let's be real here: will anybody stop submitting games to WATA? i'm gonna say no. 

They’ll stop submitting once they are ordered to shut down lol