IGNORED

Video game false memories

When I searched my parents house for the old gamecube games we had, I was disappointed to find out that Mario Kart:DD was missing. I remembered it as my second favorite gamecube game, after ssbm. It is extremely unlikely it was sold since almost no one in my country had a gamecube.

But then, I didn't find a save slot for it in the memory card. So I started to question my memory - is it possible that I never had the game? Also, I'm 100% certain that I didn't play at on a cube owned by someone else - only once I played on another cube, and the game was ssbm. So the actual question is - is it possible that I never played the game??

Then I found another memory card for the cube, and I thought to myself that now I'll finally prove that I'm not delusional. But there was no Mario Kart slot on the second memory card as well...

So now I'm pretty sure that yeah - I probably never played the game. This is the only logical explanation, even though my memory says otherwise.

My guess is that my memories of Double Dash are actually memories of Mario Kart Wii, for which we did have a copy. Also, when I was younger I used to get obsessed with games I didn't get, watching ridiculous amount of footage and reading reviews. So maybe that's why I remember many of the tracks.

What about you? Do you have any weird stories of false memories related to games and collecting?

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted

I remember getting my Nintendo and a copy of Super Mario Bros 3 specifically for my 10th birthday in '89.  That def didn't happen though since SMB3 released in feb of '90.  So now I'm not sure if I received my Nintendo for my 10th birthday and SMB3 for my 11th or if I received them altogether for my 11th birthday.

It's hell getting old. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I remember having so much fun playing NES Wrecking Crew co-op with a friend as a kid. Turns out there is no co-op.

As a kid, I was 100% sure I spent many hours playing as the dog in Secret of Evermore while my brother controlled the main character. When I bought the game ten years later, I could not find any way to activate the two player mode. Turns out there is no two player mode. Did my brain make it all up or was I holding a controller that did nothing for hours on end? Either scenario does not make me look good. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Events Team · Posted
53 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

As a kid, I was 100% sure I spent many hours playing as the dog in Secret of Evermore while my brother controlled the main character. When I bought the game ten years later, I could not find any way to activate the two player mode. Turns out there is no two player mode. Did my brain make it all up or was I holding a controller that did nothing for hours on end? Either scenario does not make me look good. 🤦‍♂️

Here's the second controller.  You can be the dog.  😏

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Only one I can think of but it's very relevant:

Somehow in my memory the California Raisins game was actually released and I had rented it at Blockbuster while staying at grandma's house. I recall it as being very different from what it really would have been and it was something like a hybrid of Lost Vikings and Donkey Kong. Very similar to the (also unreleased) South Park gameboy game. I remember not caring for it that much as I wasn't that into more puzzle-like games at the time.

After finding out it was never released I always wondered if there was some other game I was thinking of instead. Only thing I'm aware of that comes close is maybe Gyromite.

• Like 3

I have a photo of my bedroom I've posted here and on reddit before.  It has an old CRT on my chest of drawers, an my N64b hooked up.  The room was a mess.

I could have sworn it was my high school setup (graduated in 1999) but when I mentioned the photo was from 1999, someone was stated "You had a PS2 in 1999?!?!?"   Yeah, by the N64 and my VCR was a PS2 so the photo was NOT from 1999 and High School, but at the earliest after my first year of college.  It was just weird.  I was 100% positive it was from my High School days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Maybe you were playing on an emulator?  There is a popular room hack that lets the second player play as the dog.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

You can control the dog as player 1, so maybe you remembered doing that. If you were playing Secret of Mana around the same time you may have gotten things mixed up. Both very similar types of games

• Like 1

As a kid I had (still do) a copy of Mario All Stars that had a SMB3 glitch that would allow you to switch between the suits by hitting select. It also made a glitched out boot option. It didn’t always happen, but sometimes. Anyway, for years I thought it was a false memory because no one else I told that to believed me. But, all of my siblings remember it too! When I started collecting my brother gave me all our games from our childhood. I tried it a few times but couldn’t make it glitch. I should try again.

• Like 2

the only weirdness i got, is that i swear i used to play and have Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden) on the GB, why? because i DO have the manual....
but somehow i don't have the game itself? where did it go? did i ever actually have it? if not, where and when did i ever get just the manual then? i have it since the '90s too, so it's not like it was a later bulk lot i got it in or something, as i was not even aware until 2007ish that people even collected old video games such as NES/SNES/GB.

Edited by Friendsfa35
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, phart010 said:

You can control the dog as player 1, so maybe you remembered doing that. If you were playing Secret of Mana around the same time you may have gotten things mixed up. Both very similar types of games

I suspect I did confuse it with Secret of Mana at the time since I rented that game repeatedly. Either way, total bummer false memory.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:10 PM, 16BitBricks said:

As a kid I had (still do) a copy of Mario All Stars that had a SMB3 glitch that would allow you to switch between the suits by hitting select. It also made a glitched out boot option. It didn’t always happen, but sometimes. Anyway, for years I thought it was a false memory because no one else I told that to believed me. But, all of my siblings remember it too! When I started collecting my brother gave me all our games from our childhood. I tried it a few times but couldn’t make it glitch. I should try again.

I think this is a real thing. We need to do some research into it