IGNORED

Game Debate #34: Shovel Knight

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Nights into Dreams
    • Panzer Dragoon

9/10

It was a good game from the first campaign's release that just kept getting better with all the content they added. Can happily overlook a few issues when they're giving me this much quality sidescrolling platformer. Chip damage is very rarely a threat to you outside of boss fights - you either get OHKOed by falling into a pit or something or you make it to the boss but I recall the regular enemies as almost never depleting my health to the point of actually killing me. And there are some overpowered relics. These make some of the main campaigns maybe a little too easy in general but then you've also got Challenges and New Game Plus available.

Edited by MagusSmurf

53 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

Standard-bearer for modern games with a classic look and feel

Of all the modern day throwback titles this one really nails the look, sound, and feel.

Base game is outstanding, but they really should be commended for all the free post release extras.  New campaigns (which are more like sequels), co-op mode, challenge mode, a full on party fighter mode.  So much value had me coming back again and again and again.

47 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Could be harder because it has a million checkpoints, but that's every modern platformer.

They made a brilliantly-clever design choice with the checkpoint system by letting the player manage the level of risk/reward, since you have the option of destroying them for extra treasure but sacrificing their save capability. This also rewards repeat playthroughs, as if you decided to go through the "safe way" the first time, you can try for a more challenging run by not letting yourself rely on them on a future pass. And the fact that the player can even choose to do this on a checkpoint-by-checkpoint basis means the player can impact the difficulty in incredibly fine detail. It's some really cool stuff!

I have a question about Shovel Knight on Switch. I bought the game digitally and then Yacht Club games released a physical game, is it the same game? I think Treasure Trove is what I have. Then it looks like they released more games on Switch but are they the same as well? I don't understand the different versions and how they relate.

13 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I have a question about Shovel Knight on Switch. I bought the game digitally and then Yacht Club games released a physical game, is it the same game? I think Treasure Trove is what I have. Then it looks like they released more games on Switch but are they the same as well? I don't understand the different versions and how they relate.

Treasure Trove is the complete version with everything so if that's what you have, you're good.

9/10

I've bought the game a total of 3 times, I think (WiiU, Switch and PC). I have the Treasure Trove edition but I've only finished the original (Shovel of Hope) campaign. I will be sitting down to finish the others before long.

The soundtrack is chip tune bliss.

Strike the Earth! is my default ringtone.
In the Halls of the Usurper is my default alarm tone.
For Shovelry! is my voicemail notification tone.

Great, great game. Out of all the modern indie games that try to replicate old-school NES style feel, this is probably the single best effort, it just gets so much right.

And everything I'd criticize about the game, all the stuff that feels like a waste compared to the style of game that it sets out to be, is straight up fixed in the New Game+ mode unlocked after beating the game, and I'd recommend everyone to play that before passing judgment on the game.

13 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

And a GREAT example of a developer provide post-release support and continuing to improve their game after release.

Also a great example of kickstarter bloat getting a developer stuck on working on the same game.
The additions they've made to Shovel Knight are cool, but I'd so much love to see them working on a brand new game, really putting their skills to use.

13 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Could be harder because it has a million checkpoints, but that's every modern platformer.

Repeating myself here, but just in case you didn't see it - Play New Game +

It fixes this exact thing, by only having a single checkpoint on each stage, and also removes healing items. It's not terribly difficult (it probably would be if you hadn't gotten practice from normal mode beforehand though), but it's a lot more satisfying.

Edited by Sumez