IGNORED

Highly Acclaimed Games -- that you just don't like!

On 6/12/2020 at 3:14 PM, ChickenTendas4PokeyEater said:

No, you said you could buy infinite moons to help get you through the game. You can't infinitely buy them until the postgame, making the feature useless for "helping" the player.

In that case I really have no clue why the option exists! Pretty strange.

On 6/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, The Strangest said:

You haven’t? It’s a very highly acclaimed game. I personally haven’t spoken to anyone who doesn’t like it, unless it’s someone who simply doesn’t enjoy open world games.

It got really good review scores on average for some reason, but I swear I've talked to at lest tens of people who played it, and pretty much every single person gave the same report that I read in here - That the controls and a lot of the "realism" systems in the game completely ruin the experience and makes it annoying and cumbersome to play. It's a very common opinion.

It’s fair to say if you like the first, you’ll like the second.

Again, that's not the impression I'm getting. All the people I've heard criticizing the game bought it because they liked the first. 😕 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2020 at 6:22 AM, Sumez said:

It got really good review scores on average for some reason, but I swear I've talked to at lest tens of people who played it, and pretty much every single person gave the same report that I read in here - That the controls and a lot of the "realism" systems in the game completely ruin the experience and makes it annoying and cumbersome to play. It's a very common opinion.

I only started playing it recently when it came to Gamepass, but I agree. The controls are just overly complicated and cumbersome. I also feel like it takes too long to loot. After a big shoot out, you grind to a halt and take 10 minutes to see the same pick pocket animation over and over, and pilfer cupboards by picking up things one by one; all while having NPCs yelling at you to hurry up.

• 3 months later...

Welp, adding Shadow of the Colossus to the list.

Just played the PS4 version, and yeah I gave it a chance, knocked out a few of the colossi, but it's just BORING

Beautiful game? Sure, it's pretty. I think that's pretty much all it has going for it, unless you played the original version and are super nostalgic, I'm not. And, the BAD:

-Gameplay is horrible. That's the best word I can use, horrible. Maybe laughable - I mean, jumping straight up out of water! The horse, I honestly have never found a decent game where you have to ride horses - ugh! I hated the horse controls in Witcher 3 (atrocious) and they're just as bad in Shadow. Camera problems - check, outdated mechanics - check. Yup.

-Much of the game is a walking/poorly controlled horse riding simulator. You go from one point to another. Sure, some will say "you have to experience the beauty blah blah" and I would say there's nothing to do! At least when you play Dear Esther you know you'll be walking around and listening and putting together a coherent story that will come to a conclusion in a couple of hours. Here, you spent most of the time just going from point to point hoping your horse doesn't fall through a bridge (yeah, that happened 🙂

-The Woman, the Horse... I couldn't care less. Am I supposed to be attached to them? It's hard to believe this game was originally developed by the same people that created Ico - in Ico, you learn the story behind the main character, and over time grow attached to the princess as she interacts and journeys with you. She's not just some static tool, you really feel she's a living creature and you develop a genuine bond.

In short, if anyone is looking for copy of Shadow of the Colossus Special Edition (it is a nice steelbook, I'll give it that) let me know - it's going on my trade list!

This video is 100% spot-on

Edited by avatar!
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1

I loved SOTC, but I'll give you it's not Ico.

As a "game" it's lacking (though I find the gameplay mostly competent, and didn't run into any "outdated mechanics"), but I think the overall experience is incredibly solid. It's a huge departure from Ico's subdued brilliance, focusing more on epic "heorics".

Though there's not a lot to specifically "discover" when you traverse the lands, I think the game world does tell a story that expands the more you get to see. It's just that it doesn't rub it in your face, you kinda have to absorb the atmosphere and implied history of the area you are in.

I can understand why a lot of people don't enjoy it, but attributing any of its praise to "nostalgia" is straight up fake. Of all the praise the game gets, how many people were kids when it came out? Most of the praise comes from the game's original release, and it really isn't that old.

Edited by Sumez

No Nostalgia here, since I only played the PS4 version, but I really dug Shadow of the Colossus.  It's a glorified boss rush and you know what, there is nothing wrong with that.  Liked the minimal world which had a great atmosphere, and had no issues with the controls.  The main draw is the games bosses or Collosi which are really great battles.  Lot of them had cool little puzzles and taking them down always felt epic.

I can see how modern gamers might be spoiled with newer open world games that have tons of side missions and distractions copy and pasted all over the map, but it was nice to play a game that is so focused on creating that an awesome experience.

On 6/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

For me it's Final Fantasy II (US on SNES).  The game is soooo stupidly easy that it's actually called Final Fantasy IV - Easy Type in the rest of the world.   The real FF IV from Japan is fine, but the one we got in the US is like "baby's first RPG."  I honestly don't know how Square could have thought that was the direction to take after giving us the most excellent FF 1 in North America.  Then again, now that RPG's are mainstream over here and generally easy as fuck, maybe they made the right decision, speaking from a sales standpoint.  But for gamers who enjoy a good challenge, FF II absolutely sucks.

Yeah I remember beating FFII over a weekend but it was still super fun.

Mystic Quest is supposed to be the easiest one though, right? Never played it.

Oh, I got another one.  I tried really hard to like Pokemon read. I played it a few hours and it just wasn't for me.  I don't know why. I am willing to give Pokemon another try but I'd like for it to be slightly more modern but also not have the the expectation that you've played 2-3 games beforehand and already understand the general mechanics.

It just felt so generic. I do enjoy good enemy/boss battles in RPGs but I kind of need a 50/50 appreciation towards the story, along with the game play mechanic and any player/weapon customization.  Maybe I didn't get far enough in the OG game, but I felt like the story was largely lacking and it felt more like a clear, long term objective. This is definitely a series I feel like I'm missing out on, but so far I've just not been caught by it.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Oh, I got another one.  I tried really hard to like Pokemon read. I played it a few hours and it just wasn't for me.  I don't know why. I am willing to give Pokemon another try but I'd like for it to be slightly more modern but also not have the the expectation that you've played 2-3 games beforehand and already understand the general mechanics.

It just felt so generic. I do enjoy good enemy/boss battles in RPGs but I kind of need a 50/50 appreciation towards the story, along with the game play mechanic and any player/weapon customization.  Maybe I didn't get far enough in the OG game, but I felt like the story was largely lacking and it felt more like a clear, long term objective. This is definitely a series I feel like I'm missing out on, but so far I've just not been caught by it.

There's your problem right there. Pokemon does not have stories worth appreciating. It never has and probably never will. 

You can play literally any of them old or modern and they all have the same core mechanic. None of them require you to have played any before it. Not sure what mechanics you really need to dive too deep into. It's basic elemental weakness battling water beats fire, electric beats water, etc. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

I loved SOTC, but I'll give you it's not Ico.

As a "game" it's lacking (though I find the gameplay mostly competent, and didn't run into any "outdated mechanics"), but I think the overall experience is incredibly solid. It's a huge departure from Ico's subdued brilliance, focusing more on epic "heorics".

Though there's not a lot to specifically "discover" when you traverse the lands, I think the game world does tell a story that expands the more you get to see. It's just that it doesn't rub it in your face, you kinda have to absorb the atmosphere and implied history of the area you are in.

I can understand why a lot of people don't enjoy it, but attributing any of its praise to "nostalgia" is straight up fake. Of all the praise the game gets, how many people were kids when it came out? Most of the praise comes from the game's original release, and it really isn't that old.

I really did want to enjoy the game. You're right that today we're spoiled with (for the most part) tight controls etc. and lots of interactivity. That said, I think the game has a lot going for it in terms of aesthetics, and I can see why on the PS2 this is a classic. But, this remaster is a missed opportunity in my opinion. If the controls had been revamped to deliver a tight responsive gameplay, I think I would not have minded the other flaws so much. As it stands with such clunky controls AND my previous complaints, all-in-all it's a disappointment to me and even though it's not a long game I simply got bored. In terms of Nostalgia, I have to say, I know some people said they never played the original version and still liked the PS4 version, but there are TONS of reviews which are like "I loved the PS2 version and OMG, I'm so thrilled to play this again..." so without doubt Nostalgia is a thing for some people. Heck, we all experience nostalgia, and the game is 15 years old. So if you're 30 today you easily could have played this in high school and I can see why nostalgia might be so potent.

Edited by avatar!

13 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

RDR2.  I loved the PS3 Red Dead, but I cant get into this one.

Same.  The opening/tutorial missions are so long and boring.  It doesn't help that there was a problem with my save file so I ended up having to do a bunch of them twice.  But even once we got to town and the game was suppose to start proper I got bored.

Pretty much everyone I know had the same experience, played a few hours then moved onto something else.

12 hours ago, Sumez said:

I think almost everyone agreed that the batmobile was "unnecessary at best" in Arkham Knight.

I personally found it surprisingly inoffensive, but the game definitely wouldn't have suffered from losing it.

After a few mins of the Batmobile at the beginning of the game, I shut it off and never played it again.  Arkham Asylum is one of the best games Ive ever played tho.

Okay, some of you should probably prepare to be enraged. I did/do not care for:

• Fortnite (what even is this game?)
  • The entire GTA series (fun for about 2 hours a piece and then boring)
  • All of the Fallout games after Fallout Tactics (Fallout did not transition well to the 3rd dimension)
  • The entire Elder Scrolls series (see Fallout above and apply that logic to games like Baldur's Gate)
  • The entire Uncharted series (the very model of 3rd-person shooter mediocrity)
  • The entire Assassin's Creed series (just...ugh)
  • The entire Halo series
  • Minecraft (simply not a style of game that offers me any entertainment value)
  • Diablo III
  • Final Fantasy VII (*mic drop*)

That's enough for now, I suppose. 😎

Edited by Webhead123

Ok, I’ll admit it.

I dislike online games.

The constant earrape of prepubescent children screaming because you’re not covering them, or open microphones with barking dogs, or just the overall fast pace nature of modern games is just so unimmersive.

I play one game that’s online. Overwatch.

Why? Because no one uses their mics on that game at my skill level. High Gold / Low Plat.

Its team based combat, without the annoying people in your ear.