IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

Homebrew Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Kevtris (FPGA core and board designer of the NT mini, Super NT, Mega Sg, and HiDef NES) revealed he is not the one writing the core for the Analogue Duo.

I wish he was, but it not a bad thing, there are other talented FPGA programers and even ones that made PC Engines cores. 

That's all the info currently.  No word on if Analogue is writing their own core or licensing an existing.  Kevtris may be involved in the project, for the board or project management, he would not answer that.

Further update below.  This is more reassuring.

Screenshot_20201019-073639__01.thumb.jpg.1191ae8d58c0589ced27972fa8a781dd.jpg

• Like 8

I'd like to know how the disc laser (and other mechanical shit that makes the discs run) are compared to the old original Duo one. How much better is it? When will it be due to refurbish due to whatever wear that comes along?

Also i think Kevtris should be here to talk about his consoles personally. He don't have to live inside VGS but stopping by once in a blue moon would be fair. A lot of those consoles are bought by us but even if none were, i think it's proper etiquette to be informative and in touch with people when you're doing something that is aimed towards the public.

Homebrew Team · Posted
19 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've not received an email. I was right there immediately when the first wave became available to order and sped through it, so I expect I'd be among the first to get one.

If past experience is an indicator, they don't ship by order #.  They ship by grouping destination zones.  It wouldn't be as frustrating, if Analogue was more transparent.  Having gone through it before, I know what to expect now.

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've not received an email. I was right there immediately when the first wave became available to order and sped through it, so I expect I'd be among the first to get one.

Same, I ordered right when they went up.  No email yet either.  I mean I wasn't even expecting it to ship until next month anyway...  I saw someone reply on Analogue's Twitter about this update on their support page and even then I had to hunt for it on their site.  By the way, I don't recommend reading Twitter replies for Analogue, it's 95% complaints about not restocking stuff, which I get, but come on.

Ah, I never would have thought to check the NT mini 2nd Production article since it doesn't have 'noir' in the title or a year. Thanks for posting that!

I'm hoping for a smoother experience with the Duo pre-orders given what happened wih the Pocket; I was there on the hour and the pay screen hung and then...no stock. At the end of the day, 'c'est la vie', but it would be nice to get an order in from the jump.

4 hours ago, Jicsan said:

By the way, I don't recommend reading Twitter replies for Analogue, it's 95% complaints about not restocking stuff, which I get, but come on.

LRG's Twitter page is the same way.  It's funny to me that Twitter seems to have more people following and commenting that don't understand the hobby very well.  It's like Twitter has a larger percentage of newer and uninformed collectors.  Facebook on the other hand has a larger percentage of seasoned collectors who understand the hobby, but end up being just as toxic for other reasons.  The Twitter users are toxic towards the manufacturers and publishers, and the Facebook users are toxic towards each other.  Either way, it's a mess.  

On 10/21/2020 at 7:39 AM, cartman said:

Also i think Kevtris should be here to talk about his consoles personally. He don't have to live inside VGS but stopping by once in a blue moon would be fair. A lot of those consoles are bought by us but even if none were, i think it's proper etiquette to be informative and in touch with people when you're doing something that is aimed towards the public.

Kevtris does post here and there online, it's not like he's locked in a monastery somewhere. Plus, the consoles were a joint effort between him and Analogue, so he's probably not responsible for everything about them.

He was on NintendoAge and posted fairly actively when the Super Nt was being discussed. He probably figured since NA sank that a successor forum wasn't created.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Kevtris does post here and there online,

He posts on the Classic Gaming discord.  He isn't foward with any information until things are announced and then he won't really dicuss anything that isn't made public already until after release, due to non disclosure agreements.  Now that he has a position rather than a contractor, Director of FPGA Development, that may change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Kevtris does post here and there online, it's not like he's locked in a monastery somewhere. Plus, the consoles were a joint effort between him and Analogue, so he's probably not responsible for everything about them.

He was on NintendoAge and posted fairly actively when the Super Nt was being discussed. He probably figured since NA sank that a successor forum wasn't created.

Does he post on forums? As i understand it he has a overseeing role now compared to previously where he was more hands-on with the work. Now it's a team but one that uphold the same standards as himself.

I remember him on NA yeah. Would be great if he came here aswell but maybe this forum isn't quite as big as i imagine and he's unaware of it altough i doubt that.

29 minutes ago, cartman said:

Does he post on forums?

He has in the past.

29 minutes ago, cartman said:

As i understand it he has a overseeing role now compared to previously where he was more hands-on with the work. Now it's a team but one that uphold the same standards as himself.

Keep in mind that's just for the programming in the FPGA aspect, not all the guts, or the design, or sales or anything else, really.

The one thing I missed or that Duo fact lacked, what does the system do if anything to handle games with saving routines?  There were quite a lot of HuCard/turbo chips that used saving with one of those lock on devices that typically ran on batteries before there even was a CD add-on let alone all in one (Duo) option either.  I'd be curious if someone bought it or the pocket adapter if you played a game like Neutopia, would you be stuck using crappy passwords or capable of saving your progress?

Homebrew Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Jicsan said:

I posted ealier where they were going to ship last week, according to their announcement on the support page... but it never happened.

I think you were looking at an old announcement for the Nt Mini, shipped on 10/16/17, and not the Nt Mini Noir.