IGNORED

Space Raft NES

Raftronaut

Hello out there,

This is my first post here on the forums, so I'll take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Jordan and I am a rock musician from Milwaukee WI. Sometime early last year I started making chiptunes of music I had written for my rock band at the time Space Raft. I had intended it as a joke originally, but actually discovered I found chiptuning to be incredibly fulfilling and started looking for the next logical step in my progression into NESdev. I decided to make a little demo for the Nesmaker Byte Off in spring 2019, which admittedly was pretty poorly made, glitchy, and mostly broken, but I used it as motivation to continue with the project as a learning experience and feel it has grown into a fairly competent game for a first development. I've received a lot of help over in the nesmaker community as I struggle to get my bearings in programming, so many thank yous to that tremendously helpful scene 🙂

Since it's the end of the year, I thought maybe it would be good to share the progress I've made since then and offer the updated demo to any that might be interested here. 

The game features music from the band Space Raft, as well as personalities and locations (music venues, bars and record stores) from the Milwaukee music scene.  Since this project was essentially meant for the Rock audience (which is where most of the interest in it currently lies) Mainly as a bridge for those who might be interested in finding the NES homebrew scene for themselves.

There are a mix of obstacle based  scrolling levels in the band van similar to T&C surf design and top down adventure levels where you'll have to clear all the sandwiches before the former bass player Srini (included per his request) gets you, Something like Trogg meets Robowarrior i guess. It's a bit of a romp in the vein of the Monkees "frodus caper" so the premise is purposefully half baked and ridiculous.

What I have attached here is the demo ROM I managed to finish for the Portland retro Gaming expo (working steady since then and more updates will me coming soon). The game design is still rather fluid, so many things will be changed before the eventual release.

For posterity I will include the link to the original nesmaker thread in case anyone is interested in playing through older builds:

http://nesmakers.com/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2867

My intention is to offer cartridges for pre order at some point, but that will be once development is completely finished.

Thanks for looking! Please play LOUD (lol)

bayview.png

nite drive.png

font 3.PNG

game-1.png

roll out the barrel.png

onstage.png

SR_prge3.zip

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 4:36 PM, m308gunner said:

I like that tune. I like it very much.

hey thanks! 

It's a tune I'd written years ago which had become our unofficial theme song. All of the songs from the game are songs I had written for the band. Being a musician, the soundtrack came first and the details for the game have been unfolding since then as my skills improve 🙂

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dropping here with few major updates on this game. 

1) Thanks to help from my good friend @dale_coop and his invaluable assistance, the development of the game is nearly completed. A myriad of features have been added and improved. Nearing 100% feature lock at the moment. Currently sitting right around 98% complete. 

2) the Rock album this game is tied to has been released , pre order campaign for Vinyl LP's currently going through bandcamp and dusty medical records. I'll link below. Only mentioning it here because the album has been chiptuned and serves as the sound track to the game...It can be streamed from bandcamp at the moment but will be available on all streaming platforms once the physical copies begin shipment. Likely by Mid-July...The record has been #1 on local college radio WMSE here in Milwaukee for the past 4 weeks. Not bragging, just grateful. 

https://spaceraft.bandcamp.com/

https://dustymedical.com/

3) Currently working hard to finalize packaging...well this is WAY more work than I thought!

4) I am 90% I am going to pivot and take this to kickstarter, my initial thoughts to offer pre orders  through the DMR website was in hopes of pulling in indie rock fans that might have a crossover into retrogaming, but the same could be true vice versa and would have a much better access to retrogaming fans also interested in Indie rock...

Attached below are some production photos of the physical production prototypes...also a photo of the game projected onto my VAN..because I lead a charmed life. 

Thanks for the interest!

the sandwich  raft.png

carts.jpg

sapce van.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/12/2020 at 2:05 PM, Scrobins said:

Very cool! I saw your twitter posts and have to ask...what kind of cake was it? 😋

ha! are you referring to the cover sculpture of the van? If so, it isn't edible.. it's the result of my inadequate sculpting skills... though making a Van cake now seems a must-have for my eventual release party (when it is again safe to do so)..

I had meant it as a pastiche reference to all the great clay cover art from famicom games. Rainbow islands, Princess Tomato, Asmik kun land (for game boy) , and Mother/earthbound. Although as I was making it I was getting more of a Gumby vibe...

I haven't done any visual art in a long time, this whole project was meant as an art project basically and and a simplistic way to reconnect with visual art. The sculpture kind of played into that concept so I leaned into it and had a lot of fun playing with modeling clay and painting it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IN more Space Raft nes news. A fully chiptuned version of the album my game is based on has been released onto bandcamp today: 

https://spaceraft.bandcamp.com/album/approximately-space-raft

This was my introduction to chiptune and served as the inspiration for me to make this into an actual NES game. I made this using BEEPBOX which served as a great entry point for me to start wrapping my head around how to approach chiptune. Of course, now I am 100% committed to famitracker but this prototype version of the game soundtrack is still a worthwhile listen although not specific to any one particular sound chip. 

The actual game OST will be 2A03 obviously, both this conceptual version and the actual .NSF file will be included as a download for all version of the game upon eventual release. 

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Raftronaut said:

IN more Space Raft nes news. A fully chiptuned version of the album my game is based on has been released onto bandcamp today: 

https://spaceraft.bandcamp.com/album/approximately-space-raft

This was my introduction to chiptune and served as the inspiration for me to make this into an actual NES game. I made this using BEEPBOX which served as a great entry point for me to start wrapping my head around how to approach chiptune. Of course, now I am 100% committed to famitracker but this prototype version of the game soundtrack is still a worthwhile listen although not specific to any one particular sound chip. 

The actual game OST will be 2A03 obviously, both this conceptual version and the actual .NSF file will be included as a download for all version of the game upon eventual release. 

Thanks for sharing! I bought the album and am listening to it now while I work. It's definitely putting me in a better mood as I put out a few office fires.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Scrobins said:

Thanks for sharing! I bought the album and am listening to it now while I work. It's definitely putting me in a better mood as I put out a few office fires.

Ha, I actually put this album together while putting out office fires myself here as well. Out of the fire,  Into the fire...hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see this bumped. Enjoyed reading the articles about it, and just backed the game at the LP level. Pretty cool to combine to things I love, music and NES.

Sadly no shipping to Taiwan (but there's shipping offered to Malta?!?...wtf?!?) so I'm having it shipped to my folks. With covid-19 though, I won't be seeing it for a few years I guess.

23 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Glad to see this bumped. Enjoyed reading the articles about it, and just backed the game at the LP level. Pretty cool to combine to things I love, music and NES.

Sadly no shipping to Taiwan (but there's shipping offered to Malta?!?...wtf?!?) so I'm having it shipped to my folks. With covid-19 though, I won't be seeing it for a few years I guess.

thanks for the interest! If you want to shoot me a message in Kickstarter I am sure we can work something out. I didn't offer any shipping to Asia because I don't have any experience shipping there, but mainly because I assumed there would be very little interest. HMU and I can work to make the shipping destination easier for you