IGNORED

Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

BriGuy82

Saw it today, interested to hear what other people's opinions are. My initial reaction is definitely disappointment. I'm trying to not be the negative, toxic, star wars fan but it's hard. I initially didn't like the force awakens either but that changed after I watched it about a dozen times so I'm hoping maybe this movie will grow on me as well. On the plus side my kids liked it. Overall I'd give it a 6/10. 

Not even going to bother. Ain't really a Star Wars fan so i sure as hell am not desperate to see "how it ends", especially after the last movie more or less ended it already.  You can bitch about "Toxic" "Racist" "sexist", throw whatever stupid buzzwords you want, but at the end of the day, Ryan Johnson made an incredibly bad movie, and frankly, nothing can fix that outside of a reboot and Disney's darkest magics that would allow them to bring Carrie back from hell.

Spoiler

I liked the movie a lot. My only complaint is the way they handled the ending part with Kylo and Rey. But all in all I thought it was a good ending for the series. I've seen it in theaters twice and I honestly enjoyed it more the second time. Honestly they should have just let JJ do the whole trilogy. Having Rian Johnson do the middle movie really messed up the flow. I guess this is what happens when they don't have everything planned out ahead of time.

I'm glad the Skywalker Saga is over. The original trilogy (and the prequels during my early teenage years) were a big part of my childhood so I'm glad we got the final chapter. I'm looking forward to what comes next in the Star Wars universe (or... galaxy).

I'm seeing TROS one more time in theaters, but right now I'd probably rank the saga...

1. Empire Strikes Back (10/10)

2. A New Hope (10/10)

3. Return of the Jedi (9.5/10)

4/5. The Force Awakens/The Rise of Skywalker (I can't pick which one I like more right now) (8.5/10)

6. Revenge of the Sith (7/10)

7. Phantom Menace (6/10)

8/9. Attack of the Clones/The Last Jedi (IMO equally bad movies/writing, each with a couple cool parts but just so boring overall) (3/10)

I had already bumped the star wars thread but if we are going spoilers  now.

Spoiler

Spoilers

Hated the hux plot convenience turn then waste it next scene. If theyd have kept it going as a plot line , then fine, but they didnt. It was very jarring

Hated the kiss. Id accept it if there was more romantic tension. She hated him for 2.5 movies and then he doesnt kill her and she loves him now?

Both those scenes tainted the movie. Overall I still really liked it. Everything else in the movie was really good fun. No boring parts. The movie imo comes down to do you accept the premise of palpy being back. They throw it right at you from the start. I love that character so I ran with it. If you cant accept that premise then the movie probably is disappointing. Kylo Ren is such a great character having him and the emporer in the same movie was awesome to me. They pretty much just flush episode 8's true intentions down the toilet which works for me. I thought they were killing off ren on the death star wreckage and the rest of the movie was going to be rey vs palp, and I was about to be upset. But then saw her use the light side healing power and was like ok hes getting redeemed , I could live with this. I really would have prefered Ben Solo being the survivor instead of her. When she was laying there dead/near death I really thought they were going in that direction. That whole sacrifice scene was rather awkward.

Nitpick. How does that dagger line up with the wreckage.? was the wayfinder just put there after it wrecked? I guess it had to be.

I still really liked this movie. Last jedi coming out of the theatre Id have given it a 8/10. But over time its rewatchability has gone down. Its more like a 6.5 - 7 to me. I loved force awakens coming out of the theatre and its pretty much maintened what I felt then. 7/10. Loved Han Solo in that movie

This movie those two moments I mentioned it killed some of it for me. I was ready for a 8-9/10 till that kiss. Was just kinda goofy. Knocked it down a step or two since its basically at the end right before you leave so it stays with you as a wtf?. I give this one a 7.5/10. I want to watch it again. Im going again to the imax next saturday with family to watch it. 2nd viewing I want to be able to listen more to the score and see details I missed. There is so much going on I know I missed stuff.

That Han scene this movie was my favorite part besides the spot on CP3-O humor. They nailed that. He was hilarious That whole death star wreckage segment was great.

Is this movie a great film? Probably not. Alot of plot conveniences and its a tad bit of a mess of a story. But is this a great movie? Yes it was a fantastic movie experience. I was entertained the whole time.

Raw rankings of the movie releases

1. Empire Strikes Back (10/10)

2. Return of the Jedi (9/10)

3. New Hope (8.5/10)

4. Rise of Skywalker (7.5/10) Pending more viewings

5. Force Awakens (7/10)

6. Rogue One (7/10)

7. The Last Jedi (6.5/10)

8. Revenge of the Sith (6/10)

9. Solo (6/10)

10. Phantom Menace (3/10)

11. Attack of the Clones(2/10)

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Oh, I thought you guys were talking about the new one.  My bad, carry on.

we were but at that moment I was trying to tell him that episode 8 is basically glanced over in this new one. Probably why i liked it. In his post he was just saying reasons why he didnt like 8.

Edited by Quest4Nes

Events Team · Posted

Went to the matinee today and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Rise of Skywalker is probably my favorites of the new trilogy.

Spoiler

So epic during Palpatine's force lightning scene.  Practically turned my entire stance around and had me rooting for the villain.  

Also, Chewie finally got his medal!  Teared up just a little at that moment.

Edited by JamesRobot

Besides the obvious pacing issues I enjoyed it. This movie felt like it could have been it's own trilogy. I do with JJ had done all 3 but I am in the minority that enjoys The Last Jedi so it's not a big deal to me. 

But yea, I liked this one quite a bit, even if it's mostly fan service / rehashed ideas.

Spoiler

I wish scenes had more time to breathe. Compare the ending Rey/Kylo scene to the Luke/Vader scene from Jedi. There was so much time to let what was happening sink in in RotJ. In RoS, they are telling so much story at once that you barely get to register the emotions of what happened. 

Raw rankings of the movie releases

1. Empire Strikes Back (10/10) - Flawless Sequel that ups everything

2. Return of the Jedi (9/10) - Near Flawless conclusion that ties up everything

3. Rogue One (8.5/10) - Very interesting backstory on the significance and sacrifice involved with fighting an empire with unlimited resources. Adequately detailed the effort involved in making a super weapon, and doesn't just effortlessly pull them out of thin air like latter movies.

4. New Hope (8/10) - Imaginative start

5. The Last Jedi (7.5/10) - Pretty mature and interesting direction to pull SW into. Opened up some truly heinous plot holes, but at least tried to deviate from shamelessly plagiarizing previous movies.

6. Revenge of the Sith (7.5/10) - Delicate balancing act between being a movie for kids and adults. Some very dark moments, and while not executed well, served it's purpose in tying together 6 movies. 

7. Phantom Menace (6/10) - Some of the best characters and fight scenes in the franchise, all under the umbrella of a live action cartoon. 

8. Solo (5/10)- Moments of brilliance, in a movie that didn't have to and should not have existed. It's okay to be a just okay movie, it's another when you take away from other better movies with your writing and retcons.  

9. Force Awakens (4/10) - Said the moment I walked out of theaters people would see what a corporate carbon copy empty shell this trilogy was starting off as once the hype died down. Set the trajectory for New Star Wars.

10. Attack of the Clones(4/10) - Jango is cool, interesting to see Yoda in action, and Scum baggio is legendary. Everything else is wtf. 

11. Rise of Skywalker (3.5/10) - Complete cluster f that simultaneously shows a lack of respect for fellow writers and directors, as well as the intelligence of audience. Obvious scenes reworked around who was still alive and who wanted to see what, making it come off as a corporate crash grab rather than some vision with meaning. Points for having the audacity of being a 2 hour fetch quest with half a dozen crammed McGuffins.

Edited by Startyde
  • Haha 1

My rankings:

Star Wars - 10/10 - I can watch this over and over again and I still love it

Empire Strikes Back - 10/10 - Probably the best sequel ever made, incredible cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more

Return of the Jedi - 9/10 - Fitting conclusion, loses a point for some lame shit on Endor but otherwise awesome

Revenge of the Sith - 8/10 - I really like this movie, it has a bunch of dumb shit in it too, but antics of the emperor makes it endlessly rewatchable

Attack of the Clones - 6/10 - Terrible acting and writing, but still fun to watch because of how bad and laughable it is

Phantom Menace - 6/10 - Had it's moments, the kid is terrible but I don't mind Jar Jar as much anymore after seeing how bad things would get in the future

Rogue One - 6/10 - Easily the best of the fan fiction era (Disney), stupid ending and forgettable characters though

Solo - 5/10 - Mediocre but not offensive, wasn't expecting much at this point

Force Awakens - 4/10 - The first 20 minutes are actually very, very good (intro to the characters) but it quickly goes downhill from there and the next movie throws away all the setups.   Initially I rated it more like a 7/10, but after the next film...

The Last Coward - 0/10 - Turning Luke into a traitor and pissing all over the previous movies and characters makes me no longer care about "Star Wars" (Disney fan fiction)

Rise of the Skywalker - ? - Haven't seen it, can't imagine it's worse than Last Coward

Edited by peg
  • Like 3

Just saw the movie last night, gotta say I enjoyed it, I liked it, but overall it was pretty lame. I really like Force Awakens, I LOVED the Last Jedi, and Rogue One is in my top 3 Star Wars films. But this film felt really inconsistent and often very forced in terms of dialogue and story elements. So many lines were delivered like blunt objects, and characters appearing without any purpose or impact. I enjoyed the film as a whole, but mainly predicated on the central conflict of Rey/Kylo and some fun and decent moments, scenes and characters sprinkled throughout, without any of it adding up to that knock out feeling of wonder and excitement I usually get from Star Wars.

Without spoiling things, I will say that the Rey/Kylo story was the best part of the film, and really the backbone that has held this whole trilogy together. I was happy with the way that played out in this movie, and the resolution was satisfying enough to have made the whole thing worth it. I also think they handled the inclusion of Leia really well, far better than I was expecting, and actually gave her a meaningful role at a pivotal moment that worked well for me. Other than that, Finn and Poe worked well together, there were some decent scenes and scenarios dotted through the film, and some of the supporting characters had some great moments too, particularly C3PO and Chewy.

However, in terms of sheer quantity, the bad elements vastly outpaced the good for me. I didn't like how they handled the inclusion of the Emperor, it felt completely forced and out of place in this trilogy, and undermines basically the entire conclusion of Return of the Jedi. Besides that, the Emperor was written incredibly poorly imo, with zero nuance to his dialogue, his plan, or any real reason for him to return, just he did nothing for me. Many other characters also basically served zero emotional or plot related purpose in the movie, ranging from the Knights of Ren, who did nothing, Lando, who did nothing, Hux, who did one thing but was totally wasted otherwise, Richard Grant, who did basically nothing, Rose and all the rebellion hangers on from the previous movies, who did nothing, it really felt like so many characters were just there to be there, without any point.

Continuing, I also felt ghost Luke was wasted in this film after contributing so much to the emotion and character development of the Last Jedi. I was hoping he would get a lot more screen time in this film than he ended up getting, and have much more of an impact on the Rey/Kylo conflict. I was also appalled but the lack of stakes, dramatic tension, or even a sense of what was actually being accomplished in the final space battle of this film. Apart from SPECIFICALLY the Rey/Kylo story conclusion, the ENTIRE final act of this movie was a confusing waste of good characters and a bunch of pointless action and nonsense that felt completely hollow and uninteresting. The threat posed by the Emperor felt like an illusion, completely unreal and unrelated to the actual ongoing threat and conflict that had been building up this whole trilogy.

So, for me, I can take the good elements out of this film and really enjoy it and find a lot to like. I will definitely be interested to watch this movie again when it hits DVD or streaming or whatever. However, I cannot in good faith call this a good movie when it really offers so little with regards to a huge percentage of the content, characters and runtime.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2019 at 2:49 PM, peg said:

My rankings:

Star Wars - 10/10 - I can watch this over and over again and I still love it

Empire Strikes Back - 10/10 - Probably the best sequel ever made, incredible cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more

Return of the Jedi - 9/10 - Fitting conclusion, loses a point for some lame shit on Endor but otherwise awesome

Revenge of the Sith - 8/10 - I really like this movie, it has a bunch of dumb shit in it too, but antics of the emperor makes it endlessly rewatchable

Attack of the Clones - 6/10 - Terrible acting and writing, but still fun to watch because of how bad and laughable it is

Phantom Menace - 6/10 - Had it's moments, the kid is terrible but I don't mind Jar Jar as much anymore after seeing how bad things would get in the future

Rogue One - 6/10 - Easily the best of the fan fiction era (Disney), stupid ending and forgettable characters though

Solo - 5/10 - Mediocre but not offensive, wasn't expecting much at this point

Force Awakens - 4/10 - The first 20 minutes are actually very, very good (intro to the characters) but it quickly goes downhill from there and the next movie throws away all the setups.   Initially I rated it more like a 7/10, but after the next film...

The Last Coward - 0/10 - Turning Luke into a traitor and pissing all over the previous movies and characters makes me no longer care about "Star Wars" (Disney fan fiction)

Rise of the Skywalker - ? - Haven't seen it, can't imagine it's worse than Last Coward

Nailed it!

I would give Rise of Skywalker a 2. It is a JJ Abrams movie after, he only knows how to make schlocky incoherent movies.

Edited by themisfit138

All in all, I thought this one was "pretty good", which for me means just below "amazing". 7 or 7.5 of 10.

Spoiler

The only generous eye-roll I remember was first hearing the name Babu Frik.  Boba Fett, Babu Frik... I mean, they sound way to similar.  Regardless of the poor name creation, I actually liked the character.  Of course, I'm pretty sure many fans found him entirely cringey because of the cuteness factor, but I'm at the point in this series where I've come along for the ride and I'm not at all passionately invested as a fan boy like I was back in the late-90's.

Anyone else thing they might actually continue the story?  I know this is suppose to be the end but... considering what happened to all of the original cast...

Spoiler

and Kylo Ren

...it just feels like they could keep going with the new characters.  Probably not, but they easily could if they wanted to. Um suspicious that it's not been discussed in the board room and if this movie does do very well, it might be considered.  Personally, I want more side stories like Rogue One, which became my #2 favorite, behind ESB.  Yes, I said it.  It's better than ANH and ROTJ.

I tell you what, I am rewatching the prequils and they are a little different than I remember.

One isn't as bad as I thought, I like the racing more than before, and really the racing background is important to why Anakin/ Darth Vader is such a good pilot in 2,3 etc. The little kid is still annoying in one, but maybe not as annoying as Anakin in Attack of the Clones. Whoever picked Anakin in 1 and 2 shouldn't be allowed to work for a big studio..

The first half of the clone wars ia really annoying. The second half is solid, but I might actually be moving this to my least favorite trilogy movie. 

I am only 30 min into thr last movie and damn if it isn't better than I remember. I think it might be my 3 or 4 favorite movie. It might be:

A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Rogue One, Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi etc. and the Disney movies are fan fiction from Dr. Who fans.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RH said:

Anyone else thing they might actually continue the story?  I know this is suppose to be the end but... considering what happened to all of the original cast...

...it just feels like they could keep going with the new characters.  Probably not, but they easily could if they wanted to. Um suspicious that it's not been discussed in the board room and if this movie does do very well, it might be considered.  Personally, I want more side stories like Rogue One, which became my #2 favorite, behind ESB.  Yes, I said it.  It's better than ANH and ROTJ.

Probably not. Ray is just the self-insert of that Kathleen Kenedy, and she's getting fired after this movie. Beyond that there really isn't much incentive for them to bring these characters back, they don't really move merchandise for Disney, and i can't imagine the reaction to them coming back being anything more than apathetic.

22 minutes ago, Californication said:

The first half of the clone wars ia really annoying. The second half is solid, but I might actually be moving this to my least favorite trilogy movie. 

You'd have been better off watching the original Clone Wars cartoon, you wouldn't really miss a whole lot from the movie, and it even introduces a certain character that's in the third movie.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

27 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Probably not. Ray is just the self-insert of that Kathleen Kenedy, and she's getting fired after this movie. Beyond that there really isn't much incentive for them to bring these characters back, they don't really move merchandise for Disney, and i can't imagine the reaction to them coming back being anything more than apathetic.

You'd have been better off watching the original Clone Wars cartoon, you wouldn't really miss a whole lot from the movie, and it even introduces a certain character that's in the third movie.

I've seen the cartoon once or twice in passing and like the art style, but I remember thinking they felt like they were made for kids. I could be wrong, idk.

Where as I am probably going to go rewatch the Batman cartoons because I think there might be enough there for adults.

Edited by Californication