IGNORED

Kirby's Adventure NES: Thoughts?

NostalgicMachine

I love it, probably one of my favorites on NES and one of my favorite Kirby games. Almost feels like a SNES game. In regards to the difficulty, it's supposed to be easy, that's the point of Kirby and I'm completely fine with that. NES has enough hard games.

Edited by AstralSoul
  • Like 1

The only Kirby game I truly feel is a great gem is Kirby Super Star.  That is prob because the micro game approach gives it a lot more variety and replay value, trying to clear all the games and find all the things.  It is also a fantastic co-op romp.

Kirby on NES like much of the rest of the series, comes off as nothing special.  Cute easy mindless  white rice platformer, with bland enemies and stages.  It's still a fine playthru, I'd take it over 80% of the NES library, but nothing top tier.  Every time I crack into it nowadays, I find myself getting bored after just a couple stages.

Edited by fox
  • Like 1

This game is a classic for a reason. Yeah, it's pretty easy, but the technical achievements this game pulls off are astounding. Amazing graphics, catchy music, and a really solid platformer that introduced Kirby's most famous ability, the copy ability. It's still my favorite NES game.

• Like 1

Probably my third favorite NES game (behind Mega Man 5 and Super Mario Bros. 3), and my favorite Kirby game (though Kirby's Dreamland 2 is a close second). For me, 1995 seemed like a good year to find NES games for cheap. It was the year I got Mega Man 6 for $5 at a video store, and Kirby's Adventure at a Real Canadian Superstore for $10. Kirby's Adventure, I believe, was the last NES game I bought at a retailer. It was the first Kirby game I played and it quickly became one of my favorite NES games. Unlike so many other NES games, I actually managed to beat it when I was a kid in the 90's. I used Game Genie a lot at the time, but my codebook was from 1991/1992 and didn't have any codes for Kirby's Adventure so this was one of the first games I beat without cheats. It was also the first game I played that was entirely in French, as the French version seemed more common than the English version where I lived at the time (I lived on the Vancouver Island in the 90's).

I remember thinking the visuals were pretty advanced, and the animations were great. Even now, I think some of the backgrounds are amazing for an NES game and the animations are fun to watch. The soundtrack is up there with the best the NES has to offer. Years and years ago, when I got really excited about something (such as getting a new game or hanging out with a friend later in the day) I would play this game and listen to the music that plays in the very first level which would make me even more excited. It is such a fun and memorable music track, as are many other music tracks in this game.

I've also played and beaten the remake for the Game Boy Advance. I don't like it as much as the original, but I like it for its inclusion of a co-op mode for up to four players and being able to play as Meta Knight in the unlockable Meta Knightmare mode. Some day I'd like to playthrough both Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror with three other players using four TV's. four GameCube's, and four Game Boy Player's. I have enough TV's, GameCube's, Game Boy Player's, and GBA Link Cables, I just need more copies of both games.

kirbysadventureandnightmareindreamland.jpg.2100d6a40ff1e9660c3135f5e1181801.jpg

gcimage.jpg.291e56c6f1e5ffdc4264b9b571e34f1e.jpg

By the way, the "Nightmare in Dreamland" subtitle was apparently going to be used in the title of the NES version as seen in this issue of Nintendo Power (April 1993 Volume 47, which also shows some early screens of the game): 

kanp.jpg.53e8351870214dc546a207ea6f710e6a.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

One of my favorite Kirby games.  It sadly came so late and after the SNES took off so I'm sure in the day, largely overlooked.  I know I did until around 1995-96 when I got it second hand, because kid on a budget you buy for the new system not the old one.  Despite having moved on I used to use a $20 a bill a week on average and do a little shelf hunting at a 90s honeyhole of awesomeness and when I saw this I grabbed it because I adored the amazing Dream Land 2 on GB.

The game actually blew me away, not just the depth and choices, but I never thought I'd see that attention to color, detail and animation on the NES.  My brother the impatient fool wasted his money on a Genesis instead of holding out, and well you know how bland those earlier years games were... to me this stood out on a similar tier of quality, it felt pseudo-16bit which says a lot.  Later I'd find a few other knockouts of similar stature, such as Gargoyle's Quest II from Capcom.

Kirby on the NES is a series high point, one of the highest.  Great stage designs, solid fun variety of choice in abilities to suck up, the optional added star switches to notch closer to 100% if that's your deal.  Not hard in the least, but also not a total cakewalk either, a very solid game to chill and enjoy but not get bored with either being too easy.

• Like 3

For me, I find the early NES games (1985-1987) and the later NES games (1992-1994) to be the most interesting. Everything else in between kinda blends in for me, even though there's still a lot of great games from the middle era.

Edited by Jaden
  • Like 1

Yeah I think it's similar here, it was retail for me, that place I used to care a lot about over 10 years ago that went outright corrupt, attacked its patrons, and got so ridiculously priced the community turned on the dude and he went out of business from lack of people left to buy things fortunately.  When I got Kirby it was probably $5, definitely not higher than $10 and while with no box, it had the sleeve and manual which is all anyone could really ask for and be happy. 🙂

• Like 1

I just played this game for the beat every NES game contest, and it surprised me. I was expecting it to be a watered down version of Kirby with only a few powerups, but there were actually tons. The levels were bright and colorful, and all of the rockin' music was there, too. I figured it would be a solid game, but I came away thinking it was one of the best games on the console.

I got my CIB off of eBay in January of 2014 for a whole $19. Times have certainly changed.

• Like 1