IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

45 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Finished off Indy Jonies (Ubisoft).  One of my fav shitty games.  Im about 90% sure the reason why this, Waynes World and Cliffhanger are so shitty, is because they were programmed as Gameboy games just enhanced for NES.  Kill two birds with one stone.

Never knew that, but it makes total sense based on indy ubi graphics and color scheme. Its also one of my favorite shitty games. Pretty sure Ive driven the point value to the ground on that one. Once you know what to do though, its a perfect little 15-20 min run and plenty of nostalgia from the movie. Never thought Id have to get this one early as Ive never heard anyone else say a positive word about it lol

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Never knew that, but it makes total sense based on indy ubi graphics and color scheme. Its also one of my favorite shitty games. Pretty sure Ive driven the point value to the ground on that one. Once you know what to do though, its a perfect little 15-20 min run and plenty of nostalgia from the movie. Never thought Id have to get this one early as Ive never heard anyone else say a positive word about it lol

Haha I kinda enjoy really shitty games.  Waynes World, Swamp Thing, Terminator, Rocky and Bullwinkle etc.  For those I usually don't blame them because it was probably programmed by a handful of people, as opposed to a multi-person teams at Capcom/Konami/Nintendo etc.  I just dont like games I find boring (RPGs, slow games) and of course.. Home Alone. 😄

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Haha I kinda enjoy really shitty games.  Waynes World, Swamp Thing, Terminator, Rocky and Bullwinkle etc.  For those I usually don't blame them because it was probably programmed by a handful of people, as opposed to a multi-person teams at Capcom/Konami/Nintendo etc.  I just dont like games I find boring (RPGs, slow games) and of course.. Home Alone. 😄

I do too actually.  Conan, X-Men, pretty much every Color Dreams game...

Anyway, pre-bedtime progress report.  I have now done four of the five dungeons in Bard's Tale, with only the final one left, however I still need to do some level grinding to really stand a chance there.  Or at least get some better gear...still running with some gear I purchased at the start, so yeah, still need to get some stuff to have a chance.  But I should have it done by the end of January.  As for my side game of F-15 Strike Eagle, I gotta say I'm enjoying it.  I've now got two medals and am just shy of unlocking the fifth stage.  And now that I've discovered how to refuel/resupply during a mission, the potential is nigh on endless for actually completing it with all the medals.  Now, I'm not sure if I can do the bonus stages, as I haven't played on the highest difficulty, but I've got conflicting ideas of whether or not they'll unlock.  According to the FAQ, they unlock once you get the seven medals on Ace difficulty, but the maps on GameFAQs show score requirements to unlock them.  I know they're not necessary for the purpose of our list, but I'm curious, as I'll run through each of them as well if they unlock at the lower difficulty levels.  If not, I'm not gonna sweat it since I doubt I'll wanna get good enough to be an Ace rank player.  But I do feel that the game will probably be crossed off by the end of January as well.

8 hours ago, Khromak said:

I could've sworn it was on the rules page on the front of the thread but just looked and don't see it. I'm pretty sure turbo is not allowed, even on accessories like NES Max/Advantage, or the twin Famicom controllers. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong though.

It's still there in the first post - "no turbo controllers".

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 350/677 (bonus games - 43/100)

Top 25 "Easiest" Games Remaining

(overall rank on the left, based on the last five years)

32 Overlord
76 Sesame Street: 123
116 Sesame Street: Countdown
121 Sesame Street: ABC
130 Hollywood Squares
131 RoadBlasters
132 Battletoads
136 Trojan
141 Rampage
151 Gun Nac
153 Kick Master
154 Bucky O'Hare
155 Journey to Silius
173 Stinger
188 Magic Darts
189 NARC
190 Life Force
201 Ghostbusters II
202 Super Pitfall
203 Seicross
213 Jack Nicklaus' Major Championship Golf
215 Xevious
229 Little League Baseball: Championship Series
231 Alfred Chicken
232 Legend of Kage

I'm finally done with Days of Thunder! I've put a lot of hours into this one over the past few days and my thumbs are hurting! This damn game! I had several promising runs end because the car wouldn't stop during the pit stop and just drove on which meant that I ran out of gas. And losing even a single race due to low gas or damage to your car is basically an isntant game over since you'll never be able to catch up again in terms of points! But doing too many pit stops is also problematic. After all, enemy cars don't need them apparently so you're always losing a lot of time with every pit stop.

Then I also had a lot of trouble with overtaking enemy cars. While the regular competitors didn't pose much of a problem, the two leading cars would always and mercilessly drive in front of you. Sometimes even just a single failed attempt at driving past them could have a dramatic impact on the race. So I had to learn how to pass them with at least some consistency. For the red car that's usually always at the pole position you'd want to get pretty close to it and try to overtake it during a curve. It worked best when I was driving very far to the left at max speed and reducing the speed ever so slightly before the turn (the mph gauge itself didn't decrease, only the number of rotations. You have to do this by shortly pressing B and quickly pressing A afterwards, because pressing B even once will continually decrese your speed and you have to press A to stop the deceleration and keep the current speed. However, if you kept pressing A you would accelerate again). Then if I had the right speed and distance to the front car I would overtake it in the turn and try to get to the far right. Unfortunately this didn't quite work as well for the violet car and I kinda depended on luck to overtake it.

Another piece of advice would be to almost always aim for the bonus points. You earn 175 points for first place and 5 points less for every position after that. But if you drive the fastet lap or finish the highest number of laps while in pole position, you will earn five bonus points each. And these actually have a huge impact on the whole season. Therefore I would strongly advice to aim for them. Fastest lap is relatively easy since you can usually get it best after taking a pit. The first lap after the pit stop will of course be a bit slower, but during the second lap you will hit peak performance and can usually score a fastest lap.

Anyway, I'm tired and happy to be done with this game. At least I managed to improve upon my score from last year where I "only" had 1380 points whereas Russ Wheeler had 1365. So that was a lot closer.

Days of Thunder Score.jpg

Days of Thunder.jpg

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, scaryice said:

Top 25 "Easiest" Games Remaining

(overall rank on the left, based on the last five years)

32 Overlord
76 Sesame Street: 123
116 Sesame Street: Countdown
121 Sesame Street: ABC
130 Hollywood Squares
131 RoadBlasters
132 Battletoads
136 Trojan
141 Rampage
151 Gun Nac
153 Kick Master
154 Bucky O'Hare
155 Journey to Silius
173 Stinger
188 Magic Darts
189 NARC
190 Life Force
201 Ghostbusters II
202 Super Pitfall
203 Seicross
213 Jack Nicklaus' Major Championship Golf
215 Xevious
229 Little League Baseball: Championship Series
231 Alfred Chicken
232 Legend of Kage

I'm honestly surprised that @nerdynebraskan hasn't knocked the Sesame Street games off yet 😛  Overlord is incredibly easy too...it might take a few attempts to figure out the patterns, but you really just gotta go straight to the enemy base and take it out right at the start...forget about playing the game properly and just go for broke.  Rampage is also super easy since it has unlimited continues and starts right when you die, but it's definitely a slog to get through 128 stages.  And Alfred Chicken has to be one of my personal hidden gems - while not a great game, it's definitely in the "very good" category.

8 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Yeah I like how Battletoads, a game I never got close to beating is considered 'easy' by the points haha.

I know right!  It's because there's a number of people here that can beat it relatively easily.  I know Bea is one of them, and Dr. Morbis can 1cc it (I've seen him do it).  There's a number of people that both love the game and have mastered it, which is why it's usually beaten pretty early.  It just seems none of those players are active this year. 

So I was just looking on the requirements list, and saw Super Off Road has a lesser requirement than it should...

IVAN IRONMAN STEWART'S SUPER OFF-ROAD (Tradewest)
-For years this was one of those games that I thought went on forever. I don't
even remember how many races I went through to mark this game as "beaten"
back when I beat it around 1990. It always bugged me that I wasn't sure
exactly, so for some reason I decided to get back into it, figuring it would
eventually end around the magic number of 255 races. However, I was surprised
when I finished Race 99 and instead of going to the next race after showing
my racer on the stand with the trophy as usual, it went to a high scorer's
screen called "The Ironman Club." Leave it at this screen for a bit and it
returns you to the number of players selection screen. So after all these
years, it turns out we have a definitive answer to a game that I always
thought repeated infinitely. 99 races in all!

There's actually a definitive ending, so using a "loop point" rule doesn't work for it.

So my quest to get the medals in F-15 Strike Eagle is derailed.  I have already knocked off the first three, however the Silver Star is pretty much not possible on Pilot difficulty, as it requires 4 million points on the Karbala mission, and even blowing up every target I have a hard time hitting the 3 million mark.  It may simply not be possible to score enough unless you're on a higher difficulty level, which I don't have the inclination to get good enough to perform well on.  After trying it and proceeding to crash into the ground while trying to turn my plane, I decided I may forgo the medals and just knock off Baghdad.  I'll still try to hit the required scores, but I'm not gonna feel bad if I can't quite do it.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I know right!  It's because there's a number of people here that can beat it relatively easily.  I know Bea is one of them, and Dr. Morbis can 1cc it (I've seen him do it).  There's a number of people that both love the game and have mastered it, which is why it's usually beaten pretty early.  It just seems none of those players are active this year. 

I can 1CC Battletoads also, it's definitely a game that is significantly easier once you've beaten it once. I've been distracted by the FDS games, but if it's still on the list when I/we finish those up, I'll take it down.

• Like 1

Mission: Impossible is done! Just as last year, the final level is extremely rough and annoying since you have to revisit almost every area in the level 2 or sometimes even 3 times and the enemies reset. Therefore just the final level alone takes something between 40 and 50 minutes. But I was extremely lucky and beat it with only a single character left alive and he could only take one more hit or I would have had to do the whole level over again. But I was very lucky this time around.

Mission Impossible.jpg

42 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Mission: Impossible is done! Just as last year, the final level is extremely rough and annoying since you have to revisit almost every area in the level 2 or sometimes even 3 times and the enemies reset. Therefore just the final level alone takes something between 40 and 50 minutes. But I was extremely lucky and beat it with only a single character left alive and he could only take one more hit or I would have had to do the whole level over again. But I was very lucky this time around.

Mission Impossible.jpg

Damn, that was gonna be on my queue.  Ah well, maybe next year 😛

Damn, you've had an impressive day Gaia!

Mission: Impossible is probably the hardest NES game I've ever finished. I went back a couple years after the one and only time I beat it, and I couldn't even finish the first stage. With pretty much any game I can beat once, I can at least play through the first half of it again without difficulty a couple of years later.

I'm currently working with passwords on Adventures of Lolo 2 (I'm on Floor 5, so almost halfway through) and Rolling Thunder (I'm up to stage 9 of 10, but it took a few days of practice to clear stages 7 and 8 and earn this password). I'm also going to continue mixing in shorter, one-day completions that I know well along the way. I'll probably also move on to Rockman 4 Minus Infinity and Mario Adventure in the next couple of weeks, and those may be the ones I'm most excited about.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Sorry, I didn't know that you wanted to tackle this one. Maybe there could be a list for (soft) dibs or games that people are working on or plan to?

It's all good man, I have a soft queue of around 30 games right now, just picking and choosing from what's left on the list when I finish one of my games.  I may not have actually hit that one for months anyway 😛 

So doing the math on F-15 Strike Eagle, the Silver Star is technically achievable on Pilot, but you have to hit EVERY target for 2.5 million points, plus an additional 75 planes.  Having only managed to kill at most 30 planes during the regular course of a mission, I simply don't think getting all the medals is feasible without going to a higher difficulty (targets are worth more points on higher difficulties)  Thankfully it's also not necessary to beat the game, so I won't worry too much about it.  But for the day I go back and attempt to get the rest of the medals, or for anyone in the future who wants to try for it, it'd be good to know exactly what is needed to acquire them.