IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 372/677 (bonus games - 43/100)

@Gaia Gensoukiis burning up the charts!

Thundercade is one I rented repeatedly as a kid and owned by the time I was in middle school. That one is brutal, and I've never finished it despite probably 50+ hours of lifetime practice. I've only reached the nuclear plant two or three times as an adult, and I thought it was unfair that they negated the primary advantage of the airstrike (erasing enemy bullets) on the final boss. It's not like the airstrikes are that plentiful to be farmed in the game, anyway.

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

I guess it should probably be changed, but I already counted it as beaten this year. Hmm... I guess if we beat everything, then I can always go and beat it myself just for peace of mind (to say we really finished everything).

What I would say is that by the criteria at the time, it was done, so we should leave it as such this year, but I'd change the Pastebin file so that next year the game is done properly.  It's not like it's one of the games that would be sitting on the list in December or anything, so I wouldn't stress too much now.  I just thought I'd mention it so it could be fixed in the future.

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Golf grand slam in the books. Really frustrating starting out, but gets fun once you get it. Top of the Readerboard for me

20220130_174734.jpg

20220130_174726.jpg

Gotta love uncorrected Engrish 😆

Progress on Ultimate Air Combat is slugging along extremely slowly, as I suck ass at the dogfights, but once they're done I seem to do decently enough.  But since that's my "action" game for the time being, I needed another grind fest, and what better than one of the last Koei games I need, and one of my "so close yet so far" albatrosses.  As such, I've started working on L'Empereur.  I've managed to get promoted to First Consul already, and have control of Italy and parts of Austria.  I'm strategically going to take out Bavaria (they only have one weak province left...might as well get it before someone else does) while maintaining alliances with Prussia and Austria if possible.  Once Bavaria is out, I think I may gun for either Turkey or Iberia.  It's a tougher map than most Koei games due to the possible naval assaults...it's a LOT harder to protect your rear when an otherwise protected city happens to be on the coast.  Anyway, last time I played a full game, I was about to invade Moscow with only England left afterward, and them my save corrupted and forced a restart.  Needless to say, I shelved it after that...along with my ambition to finish off the Koei library (after that, all that's left is Nobunaga II).  So yeah, progress has been relatively quick, and I'm hoping to have it done soonish, but I also know it may take a bit of time to get through it, what with only being able to recruit troops once a year.  Kinda puts a damper on my ability to get things moving along 😛

• Haha 1

I did it.  On my 3rd try I took out Blaster Master.  Time to be rewarded with IMO one of the best ending themes of all time.  Took almost 3 hours because this time, I back tracked from world 4 to world 2 just to fill up on gun, so when I fought the crab boss, I didn't even take a hit.  If I could beat the 3rd world boss without taking damage, I wouldn't need to back track.  Tougher game than I remembered it being.

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I really enjoy it. I never could beat the Amazons though.

Pitch as flip and only throw to the very corners of the plate. Should be able to shut them out. I usually win 1-0 or 2-0, this time 2-0 in extra innings

Doug, what a day for you. Are you ripping up wings and beers at hooters right now? Gotta be on cloud 9. Your burrow > herbert stance seems less crazy now. Fun game to watch.

@scaryice, we going to see some stats comparing this jan to others tomorrow? Pace seems pretty impressive

55 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Pitch as flip and only throw to the very corners of the plate. Should be able to shut them out. I usually win 1-0 or 2-0, this time 2-0 in extra innings

Doug, what a day for you. Are you ripping up wings and beers at hooters right now? Gotta be on cloud 9. Your burrow > herbert stance seems less crazy now. Fun game to watch.

@scaryice, we going to see some stats comparing this jan to others tomorrow? Pace seems pretty impressive

I actually watched the game with my dad as I have to be functional tomorrow. When Super Bowl Sunday gets here, who knows what will happen.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

Nightly progress report:

L'Empereur: Achieved my promotion to First Consul in 1599, and the first thing I did was strike alliances all around so I can build my forces.  Took Lubeck from Denmark, but lost Frankfurt to Prussia.  Both nations sued for peace shortly after.  A couple months after taking Lubeck however, I faced a MASSIVE Russian incursion when they sent nearly 1400 troops against my 400.  Based on the map though, I decided to gut it out.  What I lacked in numbers I made up for in training, as they could barely hurt my infantry, and I kept my guns reasonably protected to tear them apart.  I also got some reinforcements from Denmark...while not enough to really help much (they sent around 150 troops spread across three generals), they did manage to eliminate the Russian artillery before they could get close to my fortifications.  After that battle, Russia quickly sued for peace, and will likely take some time to recover. In the meantime, I think I'll build my forces and try and inflict some damage to Prussia. 

Ultimate Air Combat: I've managed to take down the first three levels (12 stages total), so I'm 1/3 of the way through.  The difficulty is definitely getting higher, but I'm confident.  I'm even starting to get the hang of flying in the dogfights, which has been my bane since the get-go.  Most of the action portions I'm getting after one or two attempts though...it would seem I just have to get to them to progress 😛

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

It's not, really. At least by our standards:

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022
50 2-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan
100 4-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan
150 9-Jan 1-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 2-Jan 1-Jan 2-Jan 5-Jan 5-Jan 2-Jan 8-Jan
200 16-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 3-Jan 2-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan 8-Jan 4-Jan 10-Jan
250 29-Jan 7-Jan 6-Jan 4-Jan 5-Jan 4-Jan 6-Jan 22-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 15-Jan
300 6-Feb 14-Jan 11-Jan 6-Jan 8-Jan 10-Jan 9-Jan 14-Feb 17-Jan 8-Jan 22-Jan
350 17-Mar 25-Jan 17-Jan 10-Jan 12-Jan 16-Jan 15-Jan 19-Mar 22-Jan 11-Jan 27-Jan
400 26-Apr 17-Feb 26-Jan 16-Jan 19-Jan 27-Jan 30-Jan 14-Apr 30-Jan 15-Jan  
450 7-Jun 2-May 16-Feb 21-Jan 31-Jan 7-Feb 10-Mar 19-May 14-Feb 19-Jan  
500 22-Jul 10-Jul 9-Mar 31-Jan 21-Feb 10-Apr 11-Jul 20-Jul 1-Mar 29-Jan  
550 16-Aug 8-Nov 7-Jun 10-Feb 21-Apr 2-Sep 13-Nov 21-Oct 31-Mar 7-Feb  
600 14-Oct xxx 13-Sep 24-Feb 29-May xxx xxx xxx 21-Apr 13-Mar  
650 30-Nov xxx xxx 8-Apr 26-Aug xxx xxx xxx 20-Jun 25-Oct  
677 31-Dec xxx xxx 12-Jun 13-Dec xxx xxx xxx 25-Dec xxx  

Total 677 562 638 677 677 589 582 587 677 665  

Edited by scaryice

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I did it.  On my 3rd try I took out Blaster Master.  Time to be rewarded with IMO one of the best ending themes of all time.  Took almost 3 hours because this time, I back tracked from world 4 to world 2 just to fill up on gun, so when I fought the crab boss, I didn't even take a hit.  If I could beat the 3rd world boss without taking damage, I wouldn't need to back track.  Tougher game than I remembered it being.

I still need to beat Blaster Master and Ironsword without the tricks to make them easier.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 378/677 (bonus games - 43/100)
12 hours ago, scaryice said:

I still need to beat Blaster Master and Ironsword without the tricks to make them easier.

The grenade trick only works for bosses 2 4 6 and 7.  Theres also a way to cheese the final boss, but honestly if you have a suped up gun, no boss is hard.  MAYBE the 2nd 2 armed boss, which I think is the 6 area boss.  Having a suped up gun is just required for the crab boss because even if you can dodge the bubbles, he spits them out so fast its hard to even get a shot off that hits him.  Ive done it before it just takes too long and you have a slim margin for error. 

For the final boss, you can farm easily for gun making it much easier.  If you want to cheese him a bit, if you hug the right wall his whip only goes forward and not across.  When I beat him I didn't get hit once by either forms.

13 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Ultimate Air Combat: I've managed to take down the first three levels (12 stages total), so I'm 1/3 of the way through.  The difficulty is definitely getting higher, but I'm confident.  I'm even starting to get the hang of flying in the dogfights, which has been my bane since the get-go.  Most of the action portions I'm getting after one or two attempts though...it would seem I just have to get to them to progress 😛

I really enjoyed this game, its just too long.  I remember one of the missions at the end being SUCH a pain, as well as the flying sections.  I'm trying to remember how I did it, but you had to like do a backflip or some odd maneuver just to get the enemy in your sights.

Edited by guitarzombie

30 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Maybe in terms of overall completions, but what about point-percentage?  I feel like more 8+ games are getting beaten this month than there usually would be...

I don't think that argument holds up. The first 378 games from this year and last year:

PTS AVG
2021 1488 4.10
2022 1460 4.02

The bonus games are probably why the licensed pace is slower.

Here's a fun stat: How many days does it take on average for each milestone?

Milestone Days
50-100 1
100-150 2
150-200 3
200-250 4
250-300 7
300-350 11
350-400 15
400-450 26
450-500 44
500-550 71
550-600 44
600-650 93
650-677 98

We didn't reach 600 in every year, so the last three might be distorted a bit because of that. Also, you might've noticed that these averages add up to a total of 419 days. So, we have to do better than these to finish it.

Seems like 500 is the usual spot where things start to slow.

Edited by scaryice

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

The bonus games are probably why the licensed pace is slower.

I can't speak for everyone, but at least for my part, this is true but in a good way. I've been very distracted by playing FDS games and not really looking at the NES library too much.

I've also been pretty distracted in my free time with a certain MMO which is hogging most of my free time, but I'm sure that throughout the year I will be able to contribute quite a lot more to this list. Probably not a top ranked finish, especially with how hard a few people are going thus far, but I'll definitely be focusing on knocking some stuff out this year.

Progress Report:

L'Empereur - Kind of a stand-still.  I took Copenhagen from Denmark, then Russia took it from me, and then tried to invade Lubeck right after...luckily I had more than enough to withstand the assault, and have chased the Russians away from Scandinavia once again, despite their overwhelming numbers, and they once again sued for peace.  However, I'm thinking that maybe my northern position is untenable, so while I've got reasonably secure borders up there, I may abandon it to Sweden and focus on taking Germany from Prussia, as my road to Paris is currently cut off.  The alliance with Spain and Portugal is holding firm however, so my southern flank should be secure for a bit.  But yeah, I have to figure out exactly how to get back to France at this point, since I've got limited resources where I'm at and my troop count simply won't stand for a long war effort without reinforcements from France.

Ultimate Air Combat - I've now knocked off stage 4 in it's entirety, making 16/36 levels complete.  Man the dogfights are a pain in the arse, and a few of the bombing runs are starting to get hard, but so far only one really gave me issues (the one where you have to knock out like 20 radio towers).  Still, definitely another that I'd list as a hidden gem, alongside Air Fortress.  While it's not exactly a great game, it's pretty good, and not exactly one people talk about often, so it qualifies IMO

I may do some more gaming tonight, but it's been a long day and there's other things in my queue right now, so I'm not gonna guarantee that.  Still, I'm making solid progress in UAC, and should be able to do the same in L'Empereur shortly.

Beat arumana no kiseki today. Another fun one, but at first the controls were kinda janky. After some getting used to though, I 1cc'd it today. Originally I thought it would be much easier because it had continues, but it turns out those are limited so I game overed a few times the other day playing it. After getting all the boss strategies down and memorizing the levels though, I crushed it

ArumanaNoKiseki.jpg