IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Well that was weird...I just got the Distinguished Flying Cross on F-15 Strike Eagle, which comes from scoring 5 million on the Basra mission.  Except that I wasn't playing the Basra mission, I was playing the Kuwait one...maybe if I play the Basra one I'll get the Silver Cross that I'm missing?  I still have around 7 million or so to unlock Baghdad anyway, which is about 2-3 sorties, so I suppose I'll have to try it out...

Anyway, Bard's Tale is coming along swimmingly.  I think I got through to Magnar's Castle a bit early though...I'm getting enough XP to level up in 1-2 battles...which is good because holy hell do they take a LOT of punishment at that point.  I'm probably gonna grind a bit on level 1, although I apparently can't get the gear I want until I get to level 2, so maybe I'll have to do a bit of exploring as well in order to get myself geared up.

As a tertiary note, I fired up AD&D Dragonstrike on a lark to see whether I could get through it, as it's the last AD&D game I need to beat on the NES.  Turns out that with the passwords it's entirely doable, although it's still pretty tough.  I've managed to get myself to level 9 out of 14 over the last couple days.  There's definitely more to it than the standard shooter, which I really dig.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have one of those three done tonight.  Probably F-15 because I'm closest to closing that one out 😛

Think i'm gonna retry Blaster Master again.  Got to the crab boss and didnt' have GUN maxed.  I thought that boss fight was the next one over and after a few annoying attempts I just shut it off.  Ive done it before with the underpowered shot but I kept missing the hit box and without auto fire I wasnt bothering.  The two big barriers in that game is that boss fight, and those annoying small jumps over the spikes when you can stick to anything.

EDIT: Died at the 3rd world boss, got so fed up I shut it off and played SCAT.  Where I died on the 2nd level and shut that off before I broke my desk.  Thats enough for today.

Edited by guitarzombie
  • Haha 1

Baghdad has been bombed to hell, and F-15 Strike Eagle is done.  Kinda wish there was some sort of ending, but I was pleasantly surprised by the game in all honesty.  I was expecting a slog, and it actually wasn't terrible.  I may even revisit it in the future to knock off the remaining medals that I hadn't achieved.  But for now, that's #19 for my personal list this year, and one I never thought I'd even play, nevermind finish.

Baseball Simulator 1.000 done. 5-0 record as the Heroes:

Allstars 0-11 Heroes (3 innings, 0 hits allowed, 4 HR)
Heroes 16-3 Homers (3 innings, 3 hits allowed, 5 HR)
Heroes 10-0 Sweepers (2 innings, 1 hit allowed, 2 HR)
Powers 0-11 Heroes (1 inning, 3 hits allowed, 5 HR)
Heroes 15-0 Winners (2 innings, 0 hits allowed, 5 HR)

TOTAL:

11 innings played
63 runs scored
3 runs allowed
7 hits allowed
21 home runs hit

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 361/677 (bonus games - 43/100)

AD&D Dragonstrike is done.  First time completion #20 of the year, and by far the hardest of the D&D games.  Level 13 was a beast, and took the bulk of my attempts, but once it was done the final level was a joke.  And if you can get to Tiamat with full health, your shots cause so many projectiles to be on the screen that Tiamat doesn't shoot...so keep firing constantly and stick and move and she'll go down eventually.  Honestly, the fight seemed a bit anti-climactic in that regard, but after the beast that was level 13, and the boss fight against the Doom Dragon, I think that easing of the final battle was earned.  Anyway, that marks the final AD&D game I needed for my personal list, and US completion #230 overall.

Just dabbled on F-117A Stealth Fighter, but even though it's similar in design to F-15 Strike Eagle, I just can't seem to find the fun.  The guns are more effective in it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to drop a bloody bomb.  Plus having to switch between the radar and the map (as opposed to both being visible in F-15 Strike Eagle) is a needless pain in the arse.  So instead of bothering, I ditched it in favour of trying out Ultimate Air Combat...and damn, I'm glad I did!  The dogfighting is a bit of a pain, but the bombing runs more than make up for it!  Only knocked off 1-1 so far (so one stage out of 36), but I'm probably gonna dabble on that in between Bard's Tale runs.  Speaking of which, I've gained a few more levels and got some better armour, but I'm still not confident enough to beat it just yet.  I haven't even got the top level spells yet, so I'm likely nowhere near strong enough anyway.

EDIT: Just did the other three missions of level of Ultimate Air Combat.  After a few more levels, I have to say it seems like another pleasant surprise.  Funny how I'm enjoying games I never thought I'd even attempt, but here we are.

Edited by the_wizard_666

2 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

AD&D Dragonstrike is done. [...] Anyway, that marks the final AD&D game I needed for my personal list, and US completion #230 overall.

Nice! I enjoyed Dragonstrike and it's on my "to beat on Hard" list. Right now I'm at 201 licensed completions, or 205 if you count a few games I haven't beaten on Hard yet, of which Dragonstrike is one (Burai Fighter, Castelian, and Shooting Range are the others). Throw in unlicensed and I reach 219.

Meanwhile, Sky Kid crashed on me just as I finished Level 24, a bonus level at that, with a decent number of lives in reserve for 25+26. Sigh. 😞

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Wow! 1

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Just smokin those 10 pointers. That game is hard as shit. Nice run you are on. Seems like you are after the crown this year

Thanks! But I'm not sure that I will take it since I would need to keep the momentum going, but my fingers hurt after the past few games and I might need to take a break. Besides, Nerdy is the real king of this competition and I'm only lucky because of the point system. Beating 120+ games in a single month is insane.

I also thought of knocking off a few of the less popular games so that we won't end up with a brick wall of unpopular plus hard games later on. Maybe we can keep the momentum going this year and beat the library!

Btw. yesterday evening I tried Thundercade, but died twice on the final boss. That boss is the moment that makes or breaks a run.

The Bard's Tale is done.  Honestly, while I like the game, I don't really like this version of it.  It's just way oversimplified from the PC version.  But I'm glad to have it done.  And now my month is up to 21 first time completions...I've had years that didn't have close to that many, so I gotta admit I'm happy about this development 😛

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/28/2022 at 12:01 PM, the_wizard_666 said:

So I was just looking on the requirements list, and saw Super Off Road has a lesser requirement than it should...

IVAN IRONMAN STEWART'S SUPER OFF-ROAD (Tradewest)
-For years this was one of those games that I thought went on forever. I don't
even remember how many races I went through to mark this game as "beaten"
back when I beat it around 1990. It always bugged me that I wasn't sure
exactly, so for some reason I decided to get back into it, figuring it would
eventually end around the magic number of 255 races. However, I was surprised
when I finished Race 99 and instead of going to the next race after showing
my racer on the stand with the trophy as usual, it went to a high scorer's
screen called "The Ironman Club." Leave it at this screen for a bit and it
returns you to the number of players selection screen. So after all these
years, it turns out we have a definitive answer to a game that I always
thought repeated infinitely. 99 races in all!

There's actually a definitive ending, so using a "loop point" rule doesn't work for it.

I guess it should probably be changed, but I already counted it as beaten this year. Hmm... I guess if we beat everything, then I can always go and beat it myself just for peace of mind (to say we really finished everything).