IGNORED

Game Debate #81: Rad Racer

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll (Reed's favorites)

• Final Fantasy Tactics
    • Metal Gear Solid 3
    • Demon's Souls

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't think I've played it before, or at least it wasn't memorable if I had. Maaayyybe for a nes contest? I don't recall doing so though and I generally remember games I've played. 

That was Rad Racer II.  Close, but not the same.  At least in the original you had car options.

Edited by RH
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, RH said:

That was Rad Racer II.  Close, but not the same.  At least in the original, you had car options.

We played Rad Racer a couple times, including when Gloves and I were in the playoffs together.  Though I don't remember if he was in my group.

• Thanks 1

This game I offer up a strong 8 for it.  One of the best single player racers for the system.  Square which was trying to find their way back then had a hell of a hit on their hands, and not so much credit given the silver box style associated to Nintendo themselves as they published it.  A quality game that looked at what Outrun and others before hand had done, and made a path of their own in fine form that's definitely not the lesser of things.  Quality control, smart use of turbo, fair but firm time limits, great musical choices to switch while playing too (like Outrun) and many paths to see section after next.  I think the nice touch of it too by design being the F1 racer style too as a choice.  But all things considered, an amazing extra the optional red/blue style 3D with the solidly enough made glasses that bring the depth to life, mind blowing for a kid in the 80s, but it's still slick even now whether it's a huge flat panel or the old style TV too.  I recently found this game again and started (both styles) reacquaint myself with it, and it really is about the best of the third person tail cam view style racers, shame the sequel wasn't as nice.

• Like 1

8/10

It's up there with R.C. Pro Am and Micro Machines as one of my favorite racing games for the NES. I like the day to night transition in Sunset Coastline, the music is memorable, and the 3D mode is a nice extra even if its not great. I'd like to play the Famicom version (Highway Star) someday, since the 3D mode is apparently a little better in that version.

I still have my original copy of Rad Racer that I've had since 1990: 

radracernes.jpg.7f73067f799c4dd874fbfb22adff38b9.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RH said:

I seriously wish Square Enix would bring back this series, however make it a legit feeling 80s racer. I think it could be done but I also doubt there is no where near enough support for such an idea in Japan. 

So like that horizon arcade racer whatever it was that came out this or last year, there were like 1-2 of that style I think.  They're kind of rad race/ridge racer style stuff with an 80s style to it.  I could see that if they don't screw it up trying to do the huge mistake of more is better they fall into.

Events Team · Posted

Dude, it's rad.  It's in the name.  Rad Racer.  Legit beat it for a weekly contest while I had some limited alone time and the fam walked in just as I was getting ready to take my picture and I missed it with no time to replay later.  Moral of the story: don't have kids, kids.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Estil said:

In Jeff Rovin's four How to Win at Nintendo Games books, this is the only game (that I know of) he ever awarded an A+...in this case for the graphics, calling 'Frisco and LA at night "miracles!"...do you guys think the graphics indeed are that spectacular?

I have no clue if this is the NES's first game with parallaxed scrolling for a racing game, or maybe with some minor sprite scaling (or at least the impression of sprite scaling) but if it was a first for these effects, I could see why you'd call them "miracles". It looks like this game came out within the years or so of the US release of the NES, so it is an earlier title, so studios like Squaresoft were still learning a lot about the hardware.

I'd still say is a reasonably technical marvel for it's time.  The did all of that and included a 3D mode, which we've all talked about.  It's nothing super-amazing, but it is a lot of technical gimmicks packed into one cart and for what it's worth, they game play is pretty solid and fun too.  I just wish for a couple of there check points they'd pad them by just 1-2 more seconds, but all in all, it's an enjoyable game.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, RH said:

I have no clue if this is the NES's first game with parallaxed scrolling for a racing game, or maybe with some minor sprite scaling (or at least the impression of sprite scaling) but if it was a first for these effects, I could see why you'd call them "miracles".

The main innovation that I can see (aside from the 3D gimmick) was the sky background and the mid-background road/hills went up and down in addition to left and right to give more of a sense of movement. Compare to two other racing games that came out before, F-1 Race on Famicom (1984) and Mach Rider (1985, Famicom.) You can see with Rad Racer the bottom third of the screen is mostly static, but the middle and top move more dynamically.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Dude, it's rad.  It's in the name.  Rad Racer.  Legit beat it for a weekly contest while I had some limited alone time and the fam walked in just as I was getting ready to take my picture and I missed it with no time to replay later.  Moral of the story: don't have kids, kids.

And grizzly Addams had a beard

• Haha 1

It’s awesome when you edge by and blow the doors off one of the cars parked in the highway at 437 kilometers per hour. I always make the race car noise you know the sound you make when you blow somebody’s doors off. What are they doing parked in the highway anyway? A quickie?

Edited by docile tapeworm

17 hours ago, Estil said:

In Jeff Rovin's four How to Win at Nintendo Games books, this is the only game (that I know of) he ever awarded an A+...in this case for the graphics, calling 'Frisco and LA at night "miracles!"...do you guys think the graphics indeed are that spectacular?

It has very nice backgrounds and sense of speed for an 80s 8-bit racer. It's basically Outrun on the NES.

• Agree 1