IGNORED

The Aldi Appreciation Thread

SoleGoose

3 minutes ago, barrels said:

Hate all you want. I miss the mid-atlantic and the greasy late-night sheetz visits.

I meant in relation to Wawa. I love Sheetz. I can get a made to order, hot 6" sub at Sheetz for $2.29. Just to get to a dirty Wawa I'd have to drive 2 miles off the highway because they never buy prime highway real estate those cheap mfers.

Edited by DefaultGen

Just now, DefaultGen said:

I meant in relation to Wawa. I love Sheetz. I can get a made to order, hot 6" sub at Sheetz for $2. Just to get to a dirty Wawa I'd have to drive 2 miles off the highway because they never buy prime highway real estate those cheap mfers.

This must be a regional thing.

Maybe since the more southerly Wawa's are newer, they are generally nicer than the filthy Sheetz that the region has had for ages.

The only Aldi I ever stepped foot in was in Hyattsville MD, and that was back in 2007 or so.

Reflecting on my experiences from 12 years go... it was in a terrible location (no fault of the store itself), as Hyattsville isn't a great place to be period. The selection of frozen food was excellent and I found many fatty guilty pleasures. However, the milk tasted off, and the produce was not fresh at all.

Also I never remembered to bring a quarter for the damn shopping cart so I was always angry.

I used to shop at Aldi's when I lived in Ohio back in like 2005. I really liked the quarter system for the carts; it kept the parking lot clean. It was good for basic stuff. I would get fresh meat, milk, and eggs there. What I hated about it was having to buy bags or bring bags with you, although I realize it's better for the environment than dumping 10 plastic bags every time you shop.

When did Aldi become a fancy store? There was one where I grew up since the early 90s. Aldi use to be the cheap store where retirees and people who couldn’t afford Kroger or IGA shopped. It had all the weird off brands and random items in bulk.   

Edited by themisfit138
  • Like 1

My wife is obsessed with Aldi's to the point that she has joined a Facebook group talking about all the weird shit you can buy there. We have 3 or 4 of them in close proximity to the house and they all have different stuff. I don't get it, but they do have good cheap snack food so it's good in my book.

On 11/6/2019 at 6:27 PM, themisfit138 said:

When did Aldi become a fancy store? There was one where I grew up since the early 90s. Aldi use to be the cheap store where retirees and people who couldn’t afford Kroger or IGA shopped. It had all the weird off brands and random items in bulk.   

So I'm not the only one! I have memories of us making fun of kids who shopped there growing up, and thinking that it was the worst place ever (having maybe seen the inside through a window). A friend tipped me off to it a few years ago, and it's been a complete mental 180. Is this even the same store? Why so much brie and other delicacies? The questions abound...

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:58 PM, trj22487 said:

One opened in my town a few years ago and I've never set foot in it. Market Basket is where it's at for New England.

Yes that is the company I work for. It’s too bad we are only in MA,NH, and ME. Although Aldis is able to beat us on some items we crush almost everyone else and are very competitive with Walmart. 

Aldis is a very important player in most markets to keep the core items at least at more respectable prices. All these companies zone price including Walmart so you can really get tucked if there is not a low price operator. 

On 11/6/2019 at 6:40 PM, Prime2099 said:

My wife is obsessed with Aldi's to the point that she has joined a Facebook group talking about all the weird shit you can buy there. We have 3 or 4 of them in close proximity to the house and they all have different stuff. I don't get it, but they do have good cheap snack food so it's good in my book.

Different how? Is there localized pockets of different ethnicity? They could be losing stores based on local demographics.

The Aldi by me in Gaithersburg, MD is sort of low class, went in there once for something and never went back. I’ve driven by both WaWa and Sheetz, never been in one. 

Royal Farms has the best price on gas and the fried chicken is pretty good every now and again!

Edited by a3quit4s

I always was under the impression that Aldi was for limited income folks, this was as a child growing up. We never went there. Then I went to Germany in university to study, of course saw and explored Aldi north and south.

When I came back home, I decided to check out the local Aldi. Great stuff, my brother and I'd only stop by about once a year, to load up on German foods for our annual Oktoberfest celebration. Everything tasted great, I think it changed the opinion big Aldi in my folks' minds too.

18 hours ago, Pats1717 said:

Different how? Is there localized pockets of different ethnicity? They could be losing stores based on local demographics.

Different as in the types of food they have in stock. For instance, last year one store had these orange creamsicle popsicles in stock, and none of the other ones in the area even got them in.