IGNORED

Music Debate #131: Taylor Swift

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

Taylor may be the polar opposite of my own political views, but by golly I gotta go with what this guy says 🙂 

dde390f96873fe012cebbb1f909d3922.jpg

I don't think I could handle THIS many kitties though! 😄   You guys have any idea how many litter boxes that'd take??? 😮 

Awww, I would love so much to play with and cuddle all those kitties! 🥰 Hopefully Taylor won't find out that I voted for the Republican guy in every Presidential election thus far...shhhhhh...🤫🤐

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted

I gave her a 6 but waffled between 6 and 7.  There are actually more than just a few songs of hers that I do like.  She is quite talented and successful, but aside from that, has a few catchy songs I have to admit.  

I think it's easy to dismiss someone like Taylor Swift as being "mainstream pop nonsense blah blah" - but I actually like her and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Huge fan!

Baby you're a fiiiiiiiirewooooooorrrrrk!

You joke, but I am WAY more a fan of Katy Perry than Swift. Well, I'm not a fan of either.  Behind the campy, silly veneer of KPs early career, there was some talent and she definitely had talent.  Taylor Swift, however, always seemed less talented and more tapped into the psyche of a generation. We could probably debate this but to me I'm more interested in music where the musical talent is the spotlight and not just the lyrics being sung by a mediocre voice that connects with some people. 

Taylor played her "boo hoo, I'm a girl who's had bad relationships" persona for to long and just didn't show any growth.  Even still, as she's gained in increasing popularity, and her music has been for more produced, the quality of the talent isn't there and, in some cases, I think has dropped.  I gave her a two because much of her music can be background noise and I'm not opposed to it, but I don't like it.  Some songs though, like Bad Reputation, I heard for the first time (not knowing who it was) and just looked at my wife and was like "What the hell, kind of crap is this and are the music executives trying to pass off as legitimate music?"  When that happened, my wife chuckled and she was like "I knew you'd hate this.  It's Taylor Swift."  She chuckled and enjoyed seeing my eye twitch to that one.

So yeah, between her early career (I might give a generous 4) and here current stuff (maybe .5 of 10) I'm giving here a 2.  Best I can give. 

Katy Perry, however, probably averages out at a 4-5.  I'd have to think about that one.

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, RH said:

You joke, but I am WAY more a fan of Katy Perry than Swift. Well, I'm not a fan of either.  Behind the campy, silly veneer of KPs early career, there was some talent and she definitely had talent.  Taylor Swift, however, always seemed less talented and more tapped into the psyche of a generation. We could probably debate this but to me I'm more interested in music where the musical talent is the spotlight and not just the lyrics being sung by a mediocre voice that connects with some people. 

Taylor played her "boo hoo, I'm a girl who's had bad relationships" persona for to long and just didn't show any growth.  Even still, as she's gained in increasing popularity, and her music has been for more produced, the quality of the talent isn't there and, in some cases, I think has dropped.  I gave her a two because much of her music can be background noise and I'm not opposed to it, but I don't like it.  Some songs though, like Bad Reputation, I heard for the first time (not knowing who it was) and just looked at my wife and was like "What the hell, kind of crap is this and are the music executives trying to pass off as legitimate music?"  When that happened, my wife chuckled and she was like "I knew you'd hate this.  It's Taylor Swift."  She chuckled and enjoyed seeing my eye twitch to that one.

So yeah, between her early career (I might give a generous 4) and here current stuff (maybe .5 of 10) I'm giving here a 2.  Best I can give. 

Katy Perry, however, probably averages out at a 4-5.  I'd have to think about that one.

I imagine, then, that you're a huge fan of this song:

xD

I just remembered my favorite Taylor Swift story.  Her fans were absolutely livid when Tool's new album Fear Inoculum knocked her out of the number 1 spot.  Watching her extremely young fans Tweet back and forth about "Who is Tool?" and "Why are their songs so long?"  really made my day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I just remembered my favorite Taylor Swift story.  Her fans were absolutely livid when Tool's new album Fear Inoculum knocked her out of the number 1 spot.  Watching her extremely young fans Tweet back and forth about "Who is Tool?" and "Why are their songs so long?"  really made my day.  

I had stone temple pilots and filter cd’s in my hand at the goodwill this weekend but I was about to crap myself after the breakfast with orange juice and somebody was camped out in there bathroom so I had to leave them. I was too lazy to make the trip back. Well…at least they were both sitting right on top for someone to grab. I imagine “sweeeeeet dude!!! Stone temple pilots!!!! And filter?! Score!”

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

I had stone temple pilots and filter cd’s in my hand at the goodwill this weekend but I was about to crap myself after the breakfast with orange juice and somebody was camped out in there bathroom so I had to leave them. I was too lazy to make the trip back. Well…at least they were both sitting right on top for someone to grab. I imagine “sweeeeeet dude!!! Stone temple pilots!!!! And filter?! Score!”

I probably have both of those CDs sitting on my shelf at this very moment.

• Haha 1