IGNORED

Game Debate #75: Chrono Trigger

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

Fantastic graphics and music, fun characters and a neat story with a good central idea, probably the best quality of life among JRPGs its generation or the next one, battle system is mostly standard ATB but with a few neat twists and it moves fast, and has probably the beat overall pacing in the genre.

Over the decades of JRPGs there’s been way more intricate character building systems, more strategic battle systems, more complex plots, more extensive character interactions with deeper arcs, and so on; but essentially nothing that matches its pacing with the degree of competence and polish on display here.

• Agree 1

Like others have pointed out, I've hardly seen a jRPG with better pacing.

In many ways, it felt like the first big jRPG title with a modern sensibility. It wanted you to enjoy the game, and not bog you down with needless grinding or overly confusing systems. There's also a good story, coupled with an excellent audiovisual presentation.

There are some niggles here and there, many of which are ironed out by stuff like the Bugfix and Uncensoring patch on romhacking.net. Overall, it's pretty much a must play for anyone into either classic gaming or RPGs in general.

Marle and Lucca are a couple of best cute chicks ever in JRPGs (especially when Marle does that leaping "Yes!" thing) and this is among the best character themes ever:

PS: Didn't Frog or one of the others at some point in the game remark how Chrono is such a ladies man or something? 😄 

3 hours ago, RH said:

Possibly the best 2D RPG there is. Almost as good as FF5.

I know, Krile (in sprite form; later mugshot form...not so much...) is just adorable!  She was rocking the Jojo Siwa hair before Jojo was even born (even the PS1 remake came out before she was born)! 😄 

46 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Are we weighing these against SNES/console games of the era or just all games in general?  My personal rating shifts depending on how broad a canvas we’re holding it up against.

“Personal preferences, NOT historical significance” strongly suggests the latter to me.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

Are we weighing these against SNES/console games of the era or just all games in general?  My personal rating shifts depending on how broad a canvas we’re holding it up against.

I guess pretend you have a list of every game you've ever played, ranked by how much you like them.  If this is near the top it's a 10.  If it's around the middle it's a 5 or so.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

it is ff3 on the snes.  3rd one released in the u.s.

So you really mean FF6.  I always call them by their real names.  On that note, why didn't they name the US of FF4 as "Super Final Fantasy"?  That would've avoided the confusing numbering that's for sure...

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, Estil said:

So you really mean FF6.  I always call them by their real names.  On that note, why didn't they name the US of FF4 as "Super Final Fantasy"?  That would've avoided the confusing numbering that's for sure...

I mean ff3.  

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/super-nintendo/final-fantasy-iii

30 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

it is ff3 on the snes.  3rd one released in the u.s.

I always get so confused seeing FF3 because it wasn't released here on the SNES. I thought you were talking about the real FF3 for a second then realised you meant 6 haha. 

I can never decide which I like more FF6 (3) or Chrono Trigger but I rate them both a 10 🙂 

• Like 2