IGNORED

Game Debate #75: Chrono Trigger

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ScaryD said:

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II are my favorite RPG's of all time. At least once a year, minimum, I come back to Chrono Trigger to play through it again. I simply love the game and rate it a 10 out of 10. This thread has inspired me to play it again this month.

I tried FF2 on the Final Fantasy Origins disc but I don't like the weird play mechanics of it...which wouldn't be so bad if your inventory space wasn't so cramped 😞  I'm glad starting with FF4(?) there is a "bank" of sorts (if you don't mind a very healthy duck eating them and barfing them back out when needed! 😄 ) so you can try to collect one of as many of the items/weapons/armor/etc as you can which I always thought was the true object of RPGs...if your inventory space allows for it.

4 hours ago, Estil said:

I tried FF2 on the Final Fantasy Origins disc but I don't like the weird play mechanics of it...which wouldn't be so bad if your inventory space wasn't so cramped 😞  I'm glad starting with FF4(?) there is a "bank" of sorts (if you don't mind a very healthy duck eating them and barfing them back out when needed! 😄 ) so you can try to collect one of as many of the items/weapons/armor/etc as you can which I always thought was the true object of RPGs...if your inventory space allows for it.

Never liked any of the PS1 remakes of the classic SNES games.

Also, inventory space was never a problem once I adapted to the limited because I sold items early and often.

Edited by ScaryD

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm sure he's talking about Final Fantasy IV

• 10 months later...

I voted 7/10

I was simply not tuned into the SNES when it was new.  Sure, we played Street Fighter, but no one I knew played JRPGs.  I didn't truly comprehend the term JRPG until everyone creamed themselves for FF VII.

Anyway Chrono Trigger - the game to convince JRPG skeptics that JRPGs are for them.  I eventually played this game based on its reputation after playing a handful of JRPGs throughout to course of my life.  Actually, my first experience with this genre was with Dragon Warrior on the NES which I quit because I thought it was boring compared to other CRPGs I had played.

Chrono Trigger is above average, but I don't really see the hype.  I have no complaints about the mechanics of the game - it's a turn-based RPG.  That's what it is, and it does that well.  I liked experimenting with the combo abilities - that was fun.  The emphasis on juvenile protagonists really kind of detracts from this entire genre for me as I've played most of these games as an adult.  The additional endings are nice to have, but I only played through once and have no interest in ever doing so again, so I'll never see those.  Overall, I think the reputation is probably warranted, but this is just not my genre.

I did really like the Frog character - he was my favorite.