IGNORED

NES Sealed Game Contents

On 5/4/2020 at 8:34 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I'm not sure what's going to be the absolute best way to organize this, but I'm going to get a new thread for this up in a private club later this week. We can then hopefully leverage @Code Monkey's list and standardize all the entries. We can probably skip another site altogether and just make a shared Google doc that only a few people can edit. At least that's my thoughts on the subject.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:21 AM, Code Monkey said:

I won't take offence to someone else wanting to do it also but I do have the entirety of this list in my database and I add every new entry. 

Where is your database?  For me, there are three imporatant aspects to this project, and number one is accesability to all.  That's why I've been trying to get Mike to update his gamefaqs list - because that site is essentially a universal source for videogame information.  Number two is keeping it up to date on a monthly basis (more or less, as warranted) and then making sure it falls into the right hands should the person updating the list ever have/want/need to bow out.  And the third really important aspect to me is that it remain a *factual* repository of information only containing entries from opening sealed games.  I really do think it's great that people out there are committed to making lists of "assumed" or "probable" contents, but for me personally, I don't want a list of people's best guesses; I want a list that only contains items factually known to come with particular games.

Anyway, that's how I feel about this project, and that's why I started this thread: so we could keep entries coming in even after the death of NA.  I've emailed Mike about it and I'm going to give him a week, but after that, it'll be time to move on...

Is Mike still on Faceb

56 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Where is your database?  For me, there are three imporatant aspects to this project, and number one is accesability to all.  That's why I've been trying to get Mike to update his gamefaqs list - because that site is essentially a universal source for videogame information.  Number two is keeping it up to date on a monthly basis (more or less, as warranted) and then making sure it falls into the right hands should the person updating the list ever have/want/need to bow out.  And the third really important aspect to me is that it remain a *factual* repository of information only containing entries from opening sealed games.  I really do think it's great that people out there are committed to making lists of "assumed" or "probable" contents, but for me personally, I don't want a list of people's best guesses; I want a list that only contains items factually known to come with particular games.

Anyway, that's how I feel about this project, and that's why I started this thread: so we could keep entries coming in even after the death of NA.  I've emailed Mike about it and I'm going to give him a week, but after that, it'll be time to move on...

Is Mike still on Facebook? I spoke to him a few times before he was banned from the YYC group for whatever reason. I was trying to set up a time to go meet up with him but never did.

My database is on my Amazon server and you can view the site connected to it at www.nestalgia.ca. I plan on doing a large update to add variants pretty soon. You can create an account on that site if you want and then log in to archive your collection against the known contents anytime you like. I also created an Android application but haven't submitted it to Google Play yet. It connects to the same database and allows you to quickly check your collection at any time, it's what I use.

I don't plan on abandoning this, I'm going for a complete NES and Atari 2600 set with all known variants and have been collecting seriously for 10 years. I didn't have anything existing that tracked variants so I created my own.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

Is Mike still on Faceb

Is Mike still on Facebook? I spoke to him a few times before he was banned from the YYC group for whatever reason. I was trying to set up a time to go meet up with him but never did.

My database is on my Amazon server and you can view the site connected to it at www.nestalgia.ca. I plan on doing a large update to add variants pretty soon. You can create an account on that site if you want and then log in to archive your collection against the known contents anytime you like. I also created an Android application but haven't submitted it to Google Play yet. It connects to the same database and allows you to quickly check your collection at any time, it's what I use.

I don't plan on abandoning this, I'm going for a complete NES and Atari 2600 set with all known variants and have been collecting seriously for 10 years. I didn't have anything existing that tracked variants so I created my own.

It sounds like we all want generally the same thing, but as all things go, we all would like some slight tweaks to what is allowed or documented.

I wholeheartedly agree that this list should be completely public, even while in progress, because it causes no damage to collectors. That being said, I strongly support making a separate list or marking certain entries as "probable" or "likely" because it doesn't detract from confirmed entries in any way.

So it seems like we just might have to let everything shake out and see which platform everyone prefers. In the end, I'm going to get it all in a Google Sheet, because I feel like it's a great standard that people understand how to use.

Thankfully, everything done so far has been very open and public so we can freely combine and share what we have.

I noticed something about manual date codes....I've found 4 manuals so far with *seemingly* random letters next to the date code.

Captain Skyhawk (-USA★, Oval ®) - Date Code: FG 00710

Dr. Mario (-USA, Oval ®) - Date Code: FG 00820

Rampart (-USA, Ⓣ, Oval ®) - Date Code: KY 11127

Jordan Vs. Bird: One on One (-USA★, Oval ®) - Date Code: SN 00410

There's still way more to discover.

Also, the bottom of most boxes have a code that ranges from 1 through 8. I theorize that when they printed these boxes they didn't print them one at a time, but instead they printed them in sheets of 8 and each one represents a different one on each sheet for quality control.

Lastly, my CIB copy of Dr. Mario has only THREE DIGITS on the box flap! First one I've found! It could be a printing error, or something different all together.

I've been curious about those letters as well. My MC kids manual has SN 11216. I assumed it was the factory it was printed at but maybe not? I thought the numbers on boxes meant which assembly line it came off of?

The 3 digit date code on Dr. Mario seems familiar. I think those were first prints?

I found a two after a quick look on ebay. Only one is legible though. 

Given that the game was released in October 1990, I'm not sure what the format is exactly. Maybe YYM, but I don't know what they expected to do when they started dating boxes for October. YMM would seem like a better choice but 1989 doesn't make sense. Maybe it's something weird like MDD, or it's just an error. 

Does your copy have 906 on it is something else @ThePhleo? If you know the cart or manual came with the box you could check those dates codes as well. 

(Also found this beautifully sunfaded box. Haven't seen many this bad as the red is just white at the top. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264427073350

29 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

I found a two after a quick look on ebay. Only one is legible though. 

Given that the game was released in October 1990, I'm not sure what the format is exactly. Maybe YYM, but I don't know what they expected to do when they started dating boxes for October. YMM would seem like a better choice but 1989 doesn't make sense. Maybe it's something weird like MDD, or it's just an error. 

Does your copy have 906 on it is something else @ThePhleo? If you know the cart or manual came with the box you could check those dates codes as well. 

(Also found this beautifully sunfaded box. Haven't seen many this bad as the red is just white at the top. https://www.ebay.com/itm/264427073350

I'll check mine in a bit. I have several copies, one of which I opened brand new. Also, I love those boxes that are crazy faded like that. I would buy them all if I was done with all my goal-oriented collecting.

Anyone need a copy? 😬

IMG_20200506_203923.thumb.jpg.d7d3983d83f2ad339f5b2f49fef9d536.jpg

The sealed copy I opened is a 906 box. The associated manual is 00820 FG. I think the 906 is just a typo where someone removed the leading zeroes. It was probably supposed to be 00906.

IMG_20200506_204233.thumb.jpg.71e61d78afb1c902dadc644d18605697.jpg

Another complete copy I have has box code 10128 with manual 10206. This is the variant copy with the revised red warranty statement.

IMG_20200506_204502.thumb.jpg.d14e0933657a612bb6cb130531684f73.jpg

👍👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, austin532 said:

@DoctorEncoreI wonder if there exist a a 5 digit date code box without the revised warranty? Otherwise I think we can safely assume the non revised warranty will always have a 3 digit box and that's most likely the first print.

Actually... There is an earlier print (00711). Not sure how they messed up the print in the middle. 🤷‍♂️

IMG_20200506_230526.thumb.jpg.7e56c834d0b9c70a1500ba7b4cdf5f37.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 10:30 PM, austin532 said:

Well, now I suspect the game was released before October 1990. That's a long gap. Any differences between the 5 digit and 3?

The game's code is the same between Japan and the US, so maybe they were anticipating something closer to a simultaneous worldwide release?  It came out in late July for the Famicom.  What are the dates on the chip sets for the various copies?

27 minutes ago, brideck said:

The game's code is the same between Japan and the US, so maybe they were anticipating something closer to a simultaneous worldwide release?  It came out in late July for the Famicom.  What are the dates on the chip sets for the various copies?

The earliest prg and chr ROMs on bootgod are from July 1990 (my personal copy also is). So you may be right

Millipede (Round Seal)

Box: NES-MIL USA

Cart: NES-MIL-USA

Manual: NES-MIL-USA

Poster: HAL-NES-US

Nintendo Power Advert: PMG-USA

Smooth Black Dust Cover

Spoiler

49879671138_6a07968a79_c.jpg

49880507817_3c15378846_c.jpg

49880198526_41cff65654_c.jpg

49879670858_342d06db13_c.jpg

49880198286_996309149d_c.jpg

49879670673_177851deed_c.jpg

49880507282_2ef8e064cf_c.jpg

49880198016_ac08c149e0_c.jpg

The phrase in the poster has taken a whole new meaning in 2020!

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, the Sealed Game Contents FAQ on Gamefaqs has been updated with 53 new entries.  It can be found here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/49943

I want to send out a HUGE thank you to all of those who have continued to make such awesome contributions to this project.  DoctorEncore, austin532, Trifecta and the rest of you really are helping to push this project forward to the point where we are actually nearing the halfway point of the library.  From here on out I'll be doing updates after about every five entries or so, so keep those submissions coming.

One question: has anyone gotten the codes off of the two people who's videos were posted for opening Air Fortress and Simon's Quest?  I'll contact those guys myself if I have to, but I'm hoping someone else has already got them recorded...

• Like 3

Thanks for the update! Looking great.

I asked the guy about Air Fortress on his YouTube comment section, but he never responded. Not sure about Simon's Quest.

Also, I didn't see Barker Bill on the list, but that was also opened by @austin532. I'll have to track down the contents.

Update:

• Box: NES-ZT-USA (00601)
  • Cart: NES-ZT-USA
  • Manual: NES-ZT-USA* (00601)
  • Now You're Playing With Power" Poster: (1989 Copyright)
  • Nintendo Power Subscription Card: (PMG-USA)
  • Non-Foil Nintendo Dust Sleeve
Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Okay, I'll give it a week or so to see if anyone else chimes in about Air Fortress and/or Simon's Quest before I bother those guys myself.

Thanks for the Barker Bill update; there are bound to be a few titles that have fallen through the cracks as we shifted from NA to here and from Mike (and whatever was on his old dead hard drive) to my updating of the list.  If you find any others, do let me know.

I've also updated the opening post of this thread to better reflect the mission and status of this project.

Thanks, all.

Fisher-Price Perfect Fit (Oval Seal)

Cart: (NES-F7-USA)

Box: (NES-F7-USA) (91223)

Manual: (NES-F7-USA) (91224)

Poster: (GAM-NES-US-2)

Registration Card: (GAM-NES-US)

Nintendo Power Subscription Card: (PMG-PT-USA)

Smooth Black Dust Sleeve

Spoiler

49911105167_57ab3db0e7_c.jpg

49910289023_b362564195_c.jpg

49910808826_9dfe54b71d_c.jpg

49910288788_64607922bf_c.jpg

49910288488_ee1987b78a_c.jpg

49910808231_223bbdcda6_c.jpg

49910809776_7139653dc8_c.jpg

49910807881_99519e0ff8_c.jpg

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 3