IGNORED

NES Sealed Game Contents

11 hours ago, austin532 said:

Did Battleship ever come with a poster? I don't recall seeing one before.

No, but it was released at a time when Mindscape had posters included in their games.

Championship Pool, and Alfred Chicken both have posters and it was released at the same time in 1993 with Championship Pool.

Theres a couple more games like this in the NES library that I’m not absolutely 100% sure what comes with them. Godzilla 2, Sqoon, No Sticker No Code black box games, Best of the Best Championship Karate, Power Blade 2, N7 Variant of Tecmo NBA Basketball, the two Klashball variants to figure out which comes with fish Dude and which comes with no-code dragon fighter posters…just to name a few impossible ones.

edit:

@jonebone Yeah, I didn’t want to open this one either, but I got a deal on it for the sole purpose of opening it and I didn’t want to go back on my word.

@Dr. Morbis I’ll type out the full details when I get a chance.

Edited by ThePhleo

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego?

Box: NES-9K-USA (No Date Code)
Cart: NES-9K-USA
Manual: No Code (M11023)

The New American Desk Encyclopedia
Konami Sixteen Lethal Lessons Poster: No Code

Konami Feedback Postcard: NES-01
Crosshatch Dust Cover

B4HINns.jpg

Additional Pics Showing Box Content Arrangment:

Spoiler

LMrphIN.jpg

gaObhYE.jpg

KHt6hIC.jpg

GZeOMqt.jpg

gHnTl5J.jpg

This may be the only CIB copy of this game in existence that's wearing a plastic wrap dress.

Spoiler

NDkCRKN.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Side Pocket (Oval Seal) ***Already on List***

Box: NES-PK-USA (11206)
Cart: NES-PK-USA
Manual: NES-PK-USA* (11207)
Bo Jackson/Baby Ruth Poster: DAT-NES-US-3
Data East Registration Card: DAT-NES-US-2

Nintendo Power Advert: PMG-USA-1
Seizure Warning: NES-DOC-USA
Crosshatch Dust Cover

dd7VIk8.jpg

Based on the differing contents compared to the list, I'm guessing the other opened copy was a circle seal version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Crosshatch Dust Cover

B4HINns.jpg

Hide contents

LMrphIN.jpg

gaObhYE.jpg

KHt6hIC.jpg

GZeOMqt.jpg

gHnTl5J.jpg

This may be the only CIB copy of this game in existence that's wearing a plastic wrap dress.

Hide contents

NDkCRKN.jpg

Is that a cardboard separator on top of the encyclopedia?

21 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

There's another type of styrofoam insert I need to get now?

Not really and it's not something I actually keep track of. Apparently they used different sized beads for different styrofoam bricks. I just happened to notice these beads looked small. @austin532 talks more about it here:

"STYROFOAM PIECES

There are at least 5 different types of Styrofoam pieces:
1. Original design which used bigger polystyrene beads
2. Original design which used smaller polystyrene beads
3. Cheaper design with a very rough texture feel to it. These came with the few licensed games not manufactured in Japan.
4. Much thinner and is slightly blue looking in color (All games that came with the tall SNES style manuals)
5. Custom sized one for Monster in my Pocket so that the included figure could fit.
Also did you know there is a correct way to insert the styrofoam? Look for the side that has marks that look like a n or u design. Turn it to where it looks like a n, then flip it upside down and slide it into the box. That mark is caused by the two tabs at the bottom of the box. (I told you I was OCD with this)
6. It is now confirmed that some games like Captain Planet actually came with a hollowed out cardboard piece instead of styrofoam. Not much is known about this and needs more research."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Not really and it's not something I actually keep track of. Apparently they used different sized beads for different styrofoam bricks. I just happened to notice these beads looked small. @austin532 talks more about it here:

"STYROFOAM PIECES

There are at least 5 different types of Styrofoam pieces:
1. Original design which used bigger polystyrene beads
2. Original design which used smaller polystyrene beads
3. Cheaper design with a very rough texture feel to it. These came with the few licensed games not manufactured in Japan.
4. Much thinner and is slightly blue looking in color (All games that came with the tall SNES style manuals)
5. Custom sized one for Monster in my Pocket so that the included figure could fit.
Also did you know there is a correct way to insert the styrofoam? Look for the side that has marks that look like a n or u design. Turn it to where it looks like a n, then flip it upside down and slide it into the box. That mark is caused by the two tabs at the bottom of the box. (I told you I was OCD with this)
6. It is now confirmed that some games like Captain Planet actually came with a hollowed out cardboard piece instead of styrofoam. Not much is known about this and needs more research."

That doesn't address the flat styrofoam piece in this game.

Battleship
image.png.3154d8a96e9c915d5f508519f498fba3.png
Publisher Mindscape
Developer Mindscape (NES)
Release Date September 1993
Item Description
Box -USA, Oval ®, 30708
Cartridge -USA, Oval ®, NES-USA/CAN-1 (07)
Manual -USA, Oval ®, No Ⓣ, ST 30708
Poster None
Mail Card None
Nintendo Power GP-NES-USA
Document NES-USA/CAN-1
Dust Sleeve Black, Textured
Plastic Bag Standard, Large Hole
Spacer Standard White Styrofoam
Seal Cellophane H-Seam
Circuit Board TBD
PRG TBD
CHR TBD
CIC TBD
HC161 TBD

Tecmo Cup Soccer Game
image.png.d4658bab97d98c2ada1a1fe0f0502bea.png
Publisher Tecmo
Developer Tecmo
Release Date September 1992
Item Description
Box -USA, Oval ®, 20709
Cartridge -USA, Oval ®, NES-USA/CAN (00)
Manual -USA, Oval ®, Ⓣ, No Date
Poster TEC-NES-US-3, Oval ®
Mail Card None
Nintendo Power GP-NES-USA
Document NES-DOC-USA
Dust Sleeve Black, Textured
Plastic Bag Standard, Small Hole
Spacer Standard White
Seal Cellophane, H-Seam
Circuit Board TBD
PRG TBD
CHR TBD
CIC TBD

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Let me know if you want me to reformat it. My format is very different from the one that the document uses.

It's weird to me that your expanded format doesn't list a title's two digit code, of all things, so I'll have to look it up manually, but no worries.  Also, I'm assuming the manual's don't have stars, since I dont' see that anywhere listed in your formating...

12 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

It's weird to me that your expanded format doesn't list a title's two digit code, of all things, so I'll have to look it up manually, but no worries.  Also, I'm assuming the manual's don't have stars, since I dont' see that anywhere listed in your formating...

It's to save room.

The cartridge line for example can get large even with shortened variables.

Basically Every Black Box Game:
5-Screw, Flat Screw, No Code, Circle, No MiJ, No NES™, No Title™, No Top ™, No ⒸⓂ (OO)

Tecmo Cup Soccer Game should be NES-TP-USA.

Battleship should be NES-BH-USA.

No stars on any of the manuals. If there were I would do it as presented too. There's a game or two where the star is an asterisk BEFORE the "NES" part of the code (like ✽NES-XX-USA) and then the majority are after the -USA (like NES-XX-USA★

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

It's to save room.

The cartridge line for example can get large even with shortened variables.

Basically Every Black Box Game:
5-Screw, Flat Screw, No Code, Circle, No MiJ, No NES™, No Title™, No Top ™, No ⒸⓂ (OO)

Tecmo Cup Soccer Game should be NES-TP-USA.

Battleship should be NES-BH-USA.

No stars on any of the manuals. If there were I would do it as presented too. There's a game or two where the star is an asterisk BEFORE the "NES" part of the code (like ✽NES-XX-USA) and then the majority are after the -USA (like NES-XX-USA★

Cool, thanks for the info.  I'm working on the update right now...

Wish the (M) symbol didn't get turned into an emoji

It looks so much nicer without it. Then again, I'm probably the only person to even use that symbol on the entire internet today without the purpose of it being an emoji or circumvention of word filters 😛

Edited by ThePhleo

On 10/18/2021 at 7:35 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Crosshatch Dust Cover

B4HINns.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

LMrphIN.jpg

gaObhYE.jpg

KHt6hIC.jpg

GZeOMqt.jpg

gHnTl5J.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

NDkCRKN.jpg

Interesting to see how it came packaged. I had a hunch that the Encyclopedia was on the bottom. I figured the inserts would be in their usual spot. Tucked underneath the plastic bag flap. What's most shocking is there doesn't appear to be a NP insert.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, austin532 said:

It's not flat. It's just a regular sized styrofoam piece. It looks like the cheaper kind though that you find in USA assembled games and unlicensed games.

If you look at the photos, it looks like there's a white piece of paper or cardboard on top of the encyclopedia with the same width / height dimensions as the box. I asked if that was cardboard and he said it was styrofoam. Maybe he misunderstood my question, so what is that white square piece in one of the photos? Is it one of the inserts?

11 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

If you look at the photos, it looks like there's a white piece of paper or cardboard on top of the encyclopedia with the same width / height dimensions as the box. I asked if that was cardboard and he said it was styrofoam. Maybe he misunderstood my question, so what is that white square piece in one of the photos? Is it one of the inserts?

Nah, it's just a standard styrofoam brick, same as any other NES games. I can send you more pics of it if you want. If you look through more pics in the album, you'll see it.

https://imgur.com/a/O62caoN

Edited by DoctorEncore

Alright, the list has been updated and posted on Gamefaqs.  It can be found here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/916386-nes/faqs/49943

Major thanks once again to all contributors, great and small - this list wouldn't be where it's at without you.  We're only three unique titles away from 400 now, so onward and upward we go.............

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I wonder if there's a way to "speedrun" this by seeing if there's anything cheap left on the list.

Once we get the rest of the cheap stuff out of the way, we'll probably need to have a group buy effort.

I can even petition the high end groups to see if they have some rough "Not even worth CIB price" sealed stuff too. If all we're after is data, then who really cares about the condition of the item itself.

59 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I wonder if there's a way to "speedrun" this by seeing if there's anything cheap left on the list.

Once we get the rest of the cheap stuff out of the way, we'll probably need to have a group buy effort.

I can even petition the high end groups to see if they have some rough "Not even worth CIB price" sealed stuff too. If all we're after is data, then who really cares about the condition of the item itself.

Yeah, when I'm looking I usually type "NES sealed" into eBay and then sort by price, lowest first, just to see what shows up.  As for low quality stuff, I'm really hoping that's how we'll get some of the more "big name" common titles on the list; we just have to find someone with a beat-to-shit sealed copy of each title still missing so we can start plugging in those holes... 🙂