IGNORED

NES Sealed Game Contents

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 4:49 PM, Code Monkey said:

What are the chances I can get the specific variant of these games? Or at least a date code from the box / manual? I'm trying to categorise inserts based on print run.

These entries cover 16+ years of submissions from many different collectors, so you can imagine the number of people who have come and gone in this hobby over that time...

On 1/26/2023 at 6:49 PM, Code Monkey said:

What are the chances I can get the specific variant of these games? Or at least a date code from the box / manual? I'm trying to categorise inserts based on print run.

I started including date codes in my later posts, I believe. Some day I could go through all the ones I posted and update them with that info, but it won't be for a very, very long time.

• Sad 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:33 AM, jonebone said:

Sorry for the delay, opened this from a sealed case of 6 over the weekend.  Was the worst conditioned copy so don't feel too bad!

Flight of the Intruder
     - Cartridge (NES-4F-USA)
     - Box (NES-4F-USA)
     - Manual (NES-4F-USA)
     - Mindscape Powerfull!!! Poster (MIN-NES-US)
     - Epilepsy Warning Sheet (NES-DOC-USA)
     - Danger Do Not Open! Insert (PMG-USA-1)
     - Textured Black Dust Sleeve

20200214_050438_resized.thumb.jpg.dbc834992c1149b4f70cb8ad41f77df8.jpg

Any chance we can get the date code from the flap of this?

On 1/31/2023 at 8:34 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I started including date codes in my later posts, I believe. Some day I could go through all the ones I posted and update them with that info, but it won't be for a very, very long time.

Sounds like you are not ready to come back to the collectors market anytime soon. Understandable. We all have our priorities in life.

As for me, it's been over a year since I bought a sealed NES game but it seems like prices are slowly coming down on some games. So who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and snag one for under $200 and that will get me motivated to open NES games again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, austin532 said:

Sounds like you are not ready to come back to the collectors market anytime soon. Understandable. We all have our priorities in life.

As for me, it's been over a year since I bought a sealed NES game but it seems like prices are slowly coming down on some games. So who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and snag one for under $200 and that will get me motivated to open NES games again.

Yeah, it's been a crazy year for me. New baby (#3), new job, and a huge backyard renovation project. I love collecting and I still want to upgrade a lot of my NES stuff, but it's gonna be a while.

Hopefully we keep seeing prices drop and can snag some more stuff down the road.

• 1 month later...

Once again, pasting this here for a future update (credit and thanks to Trifecta):

Adventures of Lolo 3
     - Cartridge (NES-QL-USA)
     - Box (NES-QL-USA)
     - Manual (NES-QL-USA)
     - Hal Advert/Poster (HAL-NES-US-4)
     - Registration Card (HAL-NES-US)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-USA-1)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Once again, pasting this here for a future update (credit and thanks to Trifecta):

Adventures of Lolo 3
     - Cartridge (NES-QL-USA)
     - Box (NES-QL-USA)
     - Manual (NES-QL-USA)
     - Hal Advert/Poster (HAL-NES-US-4)
     - Registration Card (HAL-NES-US)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-USA-1)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve

What's the date code?

Alright, with the addition of the game posted below, it's time for another update.  With much gratitude to @Trifecta, we are now at 405 unique -USA titles.

The official list on Gamefaqs (link in first post) is up to date as of this post - APRIL 28, 2023.

Adventures of Lolo 2
     - Cartridge (NES-A4-USA)
     - Box (NES-A4-USA)
     - Manual (NES-A4-USA)
     - Hal Advert/Poster (HAL-NES-US-2)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-MW-USA)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve

Onward and upward... 😛

On 4/7/2023 at 12:16 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Pasting this here for a future update (once again, credit and thanks to Trifecta).  One more title to go for the next update... 🙂

Batman: Return of the Joker
     - Cartridge (NES-P48-USA)
     - Box (NES-48-USA)
     - Manual (no code)
     - Foil Nintendo Dust Sleeve

This one has to be a reseal, there's no way it would come with a Nintendo sleeve.

Also the box initially had a NES-P48-USA code but was later corrected to NES-48-USA like this one here. I find it hard to believe they corrected the box but not the cartridge in the same run. Although I haven't actually confirmed a NES-48-USA cartridge even exists, I'm just assuming it does.

I think Sunsoft would also put some other inserts in the box with it but the sleeve is enough to know it's a reseal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

This one has to be a reseal, there's no way it would come with a Nintendo sleeve.

Also the box initially had a NES-P48-USA code but was later corrected to NES-48-USA like this one here. I find it hard to believe they corrected the box but not the cartridge in the same run. Although I haven't actually confirmed a NES-48-USA cartridge even exists, I'm just assuming it does.

I think Sunsoft would also put some other inserts in the box with it but the sleeve is enough to know it's a reseal.

THANK YOU for saying it.

I didn't want to open my mouth and start that thread, but I wholeheartedly feel the same way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

You're making a whole lot of assumptions here.  First, quality control is always lower with third party productions, hence the P in the cart code and the missing manual code.  Second, a -48 cart has never been found, so assuming something exists without proof is essentially a baseless accusation; there are many instances in the NES library of cartridge stock being used up in later runs of boxes they no longer match with.  Likewise for assuming there would be other inserts in a game, just because you think there should be.

The only intriguing thing about this entry is the Nintendo sleeve, but, since we don't know the whole situation, I'm not going to make baseless assumptions like you are.  Perhaps Sunsoft did not want to ramp up production on sleeves and so bought some from Nintendo - that would be a baseless assumption, just like yours.  You have to throw out most "rules" when you're dealing with third party manufacturing; that's just the way it is, and that's what makes your assumptions even more pointless.  (There's no H-seam on these, for example, so does that mean every single one ever found is a re-seal???)

At the end of the day, I'll believe the judgement of a long-time community member and collector over some Johnny-come-lately who has used his deep pockets as a shortcut to amassing a collection that belies his true level of knowledge about the NES.  I've read all your posts over the last couple years, so I know exactly where you stand with regards to NES knowledge... 😉

The bottom line is, if you want to remove all doubt about Batman: ROTJ, then buy a sealed copy yourself and open it up - we all know you've got the money...

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

At the end of the day, I'll believe the judgement of a long-time community member and collector over some Johnny-come-lately who has used his deep pockets as a shortcut to amassing a collection that belies his true level of knowledge about the NES.  I've read all your posts over the last couple years, so I know exactly where you stand with regards to NES knowledge... 😉

The bottom line is, if you want to remove all doubt about Batman: ROTJ, then buy a sealed copy yourself and open it up - we all know you've got the money...

There has been a lot of talk about me and money lately so I'd like to set something straight before it gets more out of control. I work a job, I live in a 1900 square foot home and I drive a Hyundai. Not having kids allows me extra disposable income, I don't have addictions and I don't have credit card debt eating away at my finances. I just happen to buy games instead of taking vacations and paying for kids' college. I'm not rich and I really don't want to give that illusion to anyone.

As much as I'd like to buy sealed games to open, I can't really afford it. Especially a pricier Batman game.

For Sunsoft to purchase sleeves from Nintendo, they're going to have to pay Nintendo's manufacturing fee plus a markup. It would undoubtably be cheaper for Sunsoft to manufacture them themselves.

RotJ is definitely an oddball one. No H seam and it has a slightly different back label on the cart. The box seems a little different as well. The foil sleeve does seem odd but if it was a very late print ('93-'95), then it's possible the sleeve is correct. Maybe Nintendo had an overstock of them and let Sunsoft use them? I dunno. Just throwing some thoughts out there. We still aren't 100% sure if some third party games did actually come with Nintendo sleeves.

I am curious if the dates on the chips are a later manufacture date.

5 hours ago, austin532 said:

RotJ is definitely an oddball one. No H seam and it has a slightly different back label on the cart. The box seems a little different as well. The foil sleeve does seem odd but if it was a very late print ('93-'95), then it's possible the sleeve is correct. Maybe Nintendo had an overstock of them and let Sunsoft use them? I dunno. Just throwing some thoughts out there. We still aren't 100% sure if some third party games did actually come with Nintendo sleeves.

I am curious if the dates on the chips are a later manufacture date.

One more theory:

It could be like the Majesco "White Label" SNES games.

If they shipped these out in 1995 for the movie release of "Batman Forever" then it would explain why there's no Nintendo Power insert, legal document, registration card, poster, AND the late Nintendo foil sleeve.

Now here's the interesting part.

In February 1995 Sunsoft was going through bankruptcy, and sold out to ACCLAIM ENTERTAINMENT...WHO MADE THE SNES/GENESIS Batman Forever games? ACCLAIM ENTERTAINMENT.

So if this just a super late release, then it was Acclaim packaging left over stock in boxes from liquidating Sunsoft's office.

SIDENOTE: SUNSOFT MANUFACTURED THEIR OWN SHELLS They absolutely could have made their own sleeves. This is a real oddball of oddballs.

Look at my currently understood insert pattern for Sunsoft.

The final 3 registration cards are essentially unique and printed only for their one game (and maybe any oddball currently known reprints at the time...like Xenophobe)

P.S. some of the posters have Oval and Circle seal print variants....I left out some details to prevent confusion

Mo. Year Title Poster Reg.
Sky Kid N/A [AND] SUN-NES-US (No HT Print, Spy Hunter Poster poster version) N/A [AND] SUN-NES-US (No HT Print, T-Shirt Form version)
Spy Hunter N/A in HT Print [AND] SUN-NES-US (Circle NoHT Print, Spy Hunter poster version) / SUN-HU-US (Oval Prints) N/A in HT Print [AND] SUN-NES-US (Any No-HT Print. T-Shirt form in Circle print, then standard SUN-NES-US in other even later prints)

4 Freedom Force SUN-NES-US (Freedom Force version of Poster) SUN-NES-US
11 Blaster Master SUN-VM-US SUN-NES-US
Platoon SUN-PU-US SUN-NES-US
Xenophobe NES-XE-US SUN-NES-US (Very Late Reprints may also come with SUN-NES-US-1)

9 Fester's Quest SUN-EQ-US SUN-NES-US

2 Batman: The Video Game N/A SUN-NES-US
9 Journey to Silius N/A SUN-NES-US
10 Gremlins 2: The New Batch N/A SUN-NES-US

12 Batman: Return of the Joker N/A SUN-NES-US-1

2 Super Spy Hunter N/A SUN-NES-US-2
11 Lemmings N/A SUN-NES-US-3

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

Ok, so the fact that Acclaim acquired them makes more sense. Sometime in the 90's Acclaim started making their own boxes, manuals, cartridges, sleeves, baggies, etc. They were lower quality compared to other games. So maybe Acclaim decided to do one last Majesco style print of the game in 1995 and bought leftover sleeves from Nintendo. Since it was a very late release and Acclaim now owned Sunsoft, there was no need to put in a registration card or Nintendo Power insert.

All just a theory really.

I'm willing to bet IF this isn't a reseal, then these were fully assembled off the shelf parts and the date codes have zero relevance.

...actually, I'm asking the wrong question. Is there ANY doubt that the original game was unopened? Before we come up with wild theories we need some more info.

Edited by ThePhleo

3 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

...actually, I'm asking the wrong question. Is there ANY doubt that the original game was unopened? Before we come up with wild theories we need some more info.

I would assume @Trifecta would be adept by now at noticing shelf wear on boxes, cartridges, etc of the games he's opening.  I've opened many, many NES games, and I think at this point it would be almost impossible to fool me with a game I'm opening with my own hands.  I mean, either a game's box, cart, and contents are absolute dead mint or they're not.  If he had noticed any wear at all, I would assume he would have mentioned as much, and/or disqualified the game from his own NES contents project before it even made it to the point of being listed here on VGS...

There's no doubt in my mind that it is a factory sealed game, otherwise I wouldn't have presented to the community.

The contents still had that unique NES new smell.

VGA wouldn't grade a re-sealed game. They only grade factory sealed games and 100% complete games.

There was nothing to indicate it was a re-seal. Everything looked legit to me.

But please feel free to purchase and open additional factory sealed Batman Return of the Joker copies. There are a handful available to purchase as I type this on Ebay.