IGNORED

NES Sealed Game Contents

On 11/28/2020 at 3:51 PM, Goodvibes said:

No on wiz’s list for tecmo super bowl it lists a trifold card separate from the quick reference card which I’ve never seen before.

For the tengen coupon I’ll have to check the catalogue, I do have the separate $5 coupon though.

Is that trifold card for NES or was it like an SNES one?

19 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

So I can confirm I have two posters in two different (shitty) boxes.

00711 in gold ink, and 00416 in gold ink. Curiously, both manuals in these boxes are 00712. It's kinda driving me nuts since I don't have a 0041X manual 😕

My other two copies of California games do not have this poster, but their flap codes are 90213 in black ink (90214 manual), and 91026 in grey ink (no manual)

Both of my spare manuals for this game are also 90214.

Edit: Oh, and all boxes have Oval TM seals.

I only have the 90213 box with 90214 manual, but i do have the 00416 manual as well. It is oval seal R with a star on it.

17 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Well, that explains why that seller at the expo had a random California Games poster in a sandwich baggie with a $30 price tag on it. It also makes me happy I bought it.

Here's the result for your registration card code:

Your code [ Kon-nes-us-4 ] could be from the following items:

Konami Advert from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
"Contents Are Not Intended For Mature Audiences" Advert from Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop

Yes that I’m aware of and have but it’s the poster you’re referencing. I wanted to see if anyone had a reg card though ending in -4.

1 hour ago, Divingninja said:

Is that trifold card for NES or was it like an SNES one?

Not sure, this is what is listed from wiz’s list, I would imagine it’s from nes:

Tecmo Super Bowl
     - Cartridge (NES-4U-USA)
     - Box (NES-4U-USA)
     - Manual (NES-4U-USA)
     - Quick Reference guide (TEC-4U-US)
     - Epilepsy Warning Sheet (NES-DOC-USA)
     - Tecmo Games Advert (TEC-NES-US-3)
     - SI 1991 NFL Schedule trifold card (MRSIMS-00D207)
     - Nintendo Power Subscription Card (PMG-USA-1)
     - Flat Black Dust Sleeve

1 hour ago, Divingninja said:

I only have the 90213 box with 90214 manual, but i do have the 00416 manual as well. It is oval seal R with a star on it.

Wanna save me the hassle of buying every California Games manual on eBay hoping for a 00416 and sell it?

My CIB feels more naked than the people on the cover without it!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

Wanna save me the hassle of buying every California Games manual on eBay hoping for a 00416 and sell it?

My CIB feels more naked than the people on the cover without it!

I wouldn’t normally since I don’t have a double, but I’ll swap you for your extra 00712 I guess if you want to do that. 🙂

On 11/23/2020 at 11:57 PM, Goodvibes said:

Alright I got to check the date on my bubble bobble 2 box and manual, it is 30709. Now I’m not sure if this is the first or second print run of this. If someone can check their copy to see what they have so we can figure out which print run has the -5 vs -6 taito wave that would be great.

CB2F3232-0582-4F32-B9CD-5A576E3D0869.jpeg

03841D1D-3D35-41A2-86DC-2A74D571E324.jpeg

Just want to revisit this as I never got any feedback. Does anyone else have a different print date than this for bb2?

Also was there just one run of power blade 2? My copy I bought from an old rental with inserts tucked inside for years came with tai-nes-us-4 but I’ve heard it also came with -5. So I’m curious if there’s more than one print run. I’ll have to check what the print date is on my copy.

1 hour ago, Goodvibes said:

Just want to revisit this as I never got any feedback. Does anyone else have a different print date than this for bb2?

Also was there just one run of power blade 2? My copy I bought from an old rental with inserts tucked inside for years came with tai-nes-us-4 but I’ve heard it also came with -5. So I’m curious if there’s more than one print run. I’ll have to check what the print date is on my copy.

My cart, box copy of BB2 with no inserts is the same code as yours

12 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Wow, so can we actually determine print run dates for games based on these?

Yep! Unfortunately they weren’t introduced until October 1987. So anything before that is guaranteed NOT to have it. Manuals also have these codes on the bottom right corner of the last page!

Also, third party self-manufacturers and *some* Nintendo printed games don’t use these codes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Yep! Unfortunately they weren’t introduced until October 1987. So anything before that is guaranteed NOT to have it. Manuals also have these codes on the bottom right corner of the last page!

Also, third party self-manufacturers and *some* Nintendo printed games don’t use these codes.

The box and manual run codes don’t always “match” either.

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

They’re close most times, rarely on the same date.

I don’t think I found a 100% CIB game yet without a manual within a few days of the box.

If I recall, there will occasionally be big discrepancies if there is a significant change to the box, but they have left over manuals to get rid of. I think this happened with Hollywood Squares.

1 hour ago, Goodvibes said:

Nice work guys so that’s two 30709 bb2’s. Anyone else?

If I remember, I will check.

5 hours ago, Goodvibes said:

Nice work guys so that’s two 30709 bb2’s. Anyone else?

My Bubble Bobble Part 2 Box is 31104. The manual is a perfect match.

But why do you care so much about OMG FIRST PRINT!!!  These aren't comic books.  I didn't see a single post of anyone giving a shit about first prints once EVER before WATA came around... not ONCE in twenty years!  Somebody link me to an internet post on a message board of NES collectors discusing first prints before WATA.  Talk about a grading company manipulating the market.  Now we have new collectors coming in and all they care about is a tiny 5 digit code on the inside flap of their "investment."

Anyway, you win: your BB2 box was printed before mine... probably even a first print.  Mine's not worthy of the cardboard it's printed on.  Anyone got any kerosine?  I'll go get a match...

😛

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

But why do you care so much about OMG FIRST PRINT!!!  These aren't comic books.  I didn't see a single post of anyone giving a shit about first prints once EVER before WATA came around... not ONCE in twenty years!  Somebody link me to an internet post on a message board of NES collectors discusing first prints before WATA.  Talk about a grading company manipulating the market.  Now we have new collectors coming in and all they care about is a tiny 5 digit code on the inside flap of their "investment."

Anyway, you win: your BB2 box was printed before mine... probably even a first print.  Mine's not worthy of the cardboard it's printed on.  Anyone got any kerosine?  I'll go get a match...

😛

The five digit codes are an additional piece of history that no one is documenting and is becoming increasingly prohibitively expensive to archive, especially on the rarer end of the hobby.

Also, having a hard print date is a nice tool in our arsenal. We can’t expect anyone to ever open a game that’s worth 4 figures with cellophane, and 3 figures without...but we do know that TAI-NES-US-5 and TAI-NES-US-6 exist and are commonly found in the late print Taito games...especially so, both of which are found in Bubble Bobble 2 in “natural” eBay listings.

Determining the print date codes on these two obvious differing print runs means we can extrapolate that information and apply it to other late release Taito games.

BB2 being printed both on July 9, 1993 and November 4, 1993 tells me that the print date of November 16, 1993 for Dinosaur Peak means that the chances of it also coming with TAI-NES-US-6 approach 100% since they were printed mere days apart.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

😛

I think you got the wrong read here. A few of us work together trying to determine what "possibly" could have been the CIB contents in a game because we care about trying to document as much as we can. As I've seen you post before you are against "guessing" what is in the box and rather keep you list with WIZ as pure as it can be which is no problem. In this case the young man is trying to make determinations on -5 and -6 poster dates and what he received in a purchase some years ago. Your paragraph on first prints............ save that for comic collectors. I've been doing this short of 25 years and I can tell you I don't put down new people who want to learn. I can tell the difference between someone looking to to make money and a collector and should be able to if you been at this 20 years. I take the time to help educate them and bring them along.

To be clear I don't give two shits about WATA, first prints, last prints or none of that shit either. Never have and never will but I do care about passing knowledge along to the newer generation. 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

😛

36 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

The five digit codes are an additional piece of history that no one is documenting and is becoming increasingly prohibitively expensive to archive, especially on the rarer end of the hobby.

Also, having a hard print date is a nice tool in our arsenal. We can’t expect anyone to ever open a game that’s worth 4 figures with cellophane, and 3 figures without...but we do know that TAI-NES-US-5 and TAI-NES-US-6 exist and are commonly found in the late print Taito games...especially so, both of which are found in Bubble Bobble 2 in “natural” eBay listings.

Determining the print date codes on these two obvious differing print runs means we can extrapolate that information and apply it to other late release Taito games.

BB2 being printed both on July 9, 1993 and November 4, 1993 tells me that the print date of November 16, 1993 for Dinosaur Peak means that the chances of it also coming with TAI-NES-US-6 approach 100% since they were printed mere days apart.

I think his comments were meant to be tongue in cheek. I think anyone posting here cares more about the hobby than the money. And just to echo your sentiment, I also find the dating aspect fascinating since verifiable info regarding release/launch dates has mostly been lost to the sands of time.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think his comments were meant to be tongue in cheek. I think anyone posting here cares more about the hobby than the money. And just to echo your sentiment, I also find the dating aspect fascinating since verifiable info regarding release/launch dates has mostly been lost to the sands of time.

Sarcasm is hard to convey over the internet!

Either way, a casual reader of the site now has the “scholastic” reasoning to our madness.

Those codes are just information that’s basically meant to be used in the 80s and 90s to help a company track any potential flaws in their products. It just so happens that it has a practical application to collectors and archivists like us...what investors do with that information is none of my concern since I myself have a few titles that are definitely not “gamers” copies, or even things that I can flatten to scan...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Well that got out of hand fast, with all do respect @DoctorEncorethat was not tongue and cheek thats for sure. I think it was completely unnecessary. I have spoken to quite a few members on this site asking questions and what not for knowledge or to try and add to my collection. This is not for a financial gain.

@Dr. Morbis If you just went back a page or two you would’ve seen that I posed the question about late taito inserts with Dino peak, bubble bobble 2 and power blade 2 for my own collection as I for one am new to collecting since late 2016 but am very interested in the nes inserts. It was suggested by someone else that there was two prints of bb2 which I was not aware of and the date codes were looked into.

Not one time was first or second prints mentioned with regards to one being better than the other. I could care less I’m just happy I have a box and manual, I don’t even have a cart yet. I also have zero items in my collection graded and don’t plan on it either. I’m grateful for what I have and the help I get here, that’s what this site is about and for, I thought.

I don’t appreciate the reply as it doesn’t come off as sarcasm.

At the end of the day, with the help of you and a couple other people here we basically confirmed that bb2 depending on date code came with -5 or -6 and more importantly confirmed -6 was dino peak. You might not care but I do and have to correct my bb2 inserts.